Widescreen Patch in the works, looking for testers

Im developing a widescreen patch for nolf 2 and im looking for feedback on how it works generally and especially with 16:10 and other aspect ratios.

apparently the game crashes on levelload when using 16:10 resolutions.

for me it craches often when loading a level ever since i started loading a custom rez file :(

(original thread on wsgf)

Version 2:

Features:
-Pickable widescreen resolutions ingame.
-Set horizontal field of view in display.cfg, vertical fov is calculated automatically.
optimized for 16:9:
-Interface texts scaled down so they dont overlap anymore.
-Subtitles etc moved up and are now visible in widescreen.

Known problems:
-The cutscene FOV is still the same
-Some lists in menus still go off the screen
-The "Back" button is still not visible even though it should be
-The popups (notes, intel etc.) have the wrong aspect, i havent found another way to prevent them from going off the screen yet

Download from here

I made a lot more progress and will upload a new version soon

already finished features:

-cutscene fov correct like in first person

-dynamic gui scaling, no more stretching or offscreen elements

-menu fovs can be set in display.cfg

todo:

-center pausemenu and ingame interfaces (subtitles, popups)

-set pvmodel fov and aspect depeding on set fov

Edited by Wobak

I would really appreciate it!

maybe ive uploaded a new version by then. i corrected the scaling an positioning of most hud objects and the main menus now. alsovertical fov and weaponaspect are calculated automatically whenever the resolution is changed. also the crosshair scaled with the resolution and can be adjusted through the cfg. the menu fov can be set in the cfg aswell, i couldnt automate the calculation because they both work only until a certain value and then so elements go offscreen.

here are some comparison shots:

original:

0bh2.png

original 16:9:

0icb.png

patched 16:9:

cp2w.png

Here is version 3, the first "proper" version.

It will work with any resolution and aspect ratio. All you have to do outside the game is setting the horizontal FOV.

Everything is now scaled properly and updates when the resolution is changed. All FOVs except for the horizontal one are calculated and set automatically.

Features:
-Pick supported widescreen resolutions in the display menu.
-Set horizontal FOV in display.cfg, vertical, menu, weapon and cutscene FOV are calculated automatically.
-Splashscreen, Menus and HUD elements are scaled and positioned properly and dont stretch anymore.
-Automatic crosshair scaling and manual tweaking. Previously it had a fixed resolution and didnt scale at all.

Installation:
1. Put the "WidescreenPatch" folder in "Custom\Mods" in the NOLF2 directory.
2. Run the launcher, click on "Custom" and check "WidescreenPatch"
3. Start the game, go to display and select the desired resolution.
4. Open the display.cfg file. If you havent previously launched the game with the patch enabled, the lines mentioned below wont be present and you can add them manually.
5. The line "FOV" controls the horizontal FOV,you can set it however you want. For 16:9 I suggest "90.0".
[optional]
6. The cutscene letterbox scales automatically, if you are unsatistfied with the size, change the "LetterboxPercent" value.
7. Open then the autoexect.cfg file.
8. The line "CrosshairSize" changes the crosshair size.
9. The Line "RightHUDPush" can be used to offset the HUD elements on the right to the edge of the screen. For 16:9 "30" is a good value.
Enjoy the game!

Known Problems:
-With a large display width the loadingscreen text may be cut off at the side.
This is due to the text being scaled with the resolution and background with the FOV.
-With a larger display width Kate will freeze before walking and afterwards disappear.
This is because the user was not expected to see such a wide region of the menu.
-Some menu elements dont line up with the box they are supposed to be in.
This is because their positions are calculated differently. That might be fixed in the future.

Download from Mediafire

Looking great, looking forward to try it asap... in next couple of days I hope :)

Since I haven't played game for couple of years, can you give me some instructions how to play the game on Win8, what do I need, and is there maybe some more modifications on game that I should also download to play in best today's graphics?

Thanks...

Looking great, looking forward to try it asap... in next couple of days I hope :)

Since I haven't played game for couple of years, can you give me some instructions how to play the game on Win8, what do I need, and is there maybe some more modifications on game that I should also download to play in best today's graphics?

Thanks...

The good news is NOLF2 works on Win 8 and Win 8.1 (had 8.0 now I have 8.1) thing is you have to let it run as administrator.

The graphics are the same as when the game was last patched.

• 2 weeks later...

i doubt ill have the motivation because i dont really like contract jack... i just took a quick look and and atleast the FOV is still handled the same way.so that would be easy to fix. for the interface and hud i had redo many position and scale calculations in nolf, i doubt they can simply be carried over.. lets say i will focused on nolf and nolf 2 in the near future.

i doubt ill have the motivation because i dont really like contract jack... i just took a quick look and and atleast the FOV is still handled the same way.so that would be easy to fix. for the interface and hud i had redo many position and scale calculations in nolf, i doubt they can simply be carried over.. lets say i will focused on nolf and nolf 2 in the near future.

Fair enough, who likes it anyway? :D I consider Contract JACK a mediocre mission disk to Nolf2 so I mostly asked for completionist (I'm planning on replaying the whole series) and practical reasons. Before I asked I had a look at the game and as far as I can tell every part of the menu and the UI is at the exact same place as in NOLF2 and given the quick development time the engine is almost the exact same Lithtech Jupiter as in NOLF2. I even tried loading your mod but it gave me a missing DLL error. I copied the DLL over to the Contract JACK directory just to see how it goes and the error message changed: now it says "could not initialize cursor".

Maybe it helps if you ever decide to mess around with it.

Here's an issue I've found, don't know if it can be fixed though. This is how the weapon zoom screen looks like with the mod:

AlTRGPQ.jpg

It's only a visual problem, aiming works perfectly of course. Don't know if you've changed anything as far as the zoomed fov goes but it feels natural.

Edited by Zaxx

thanks and yeah, im aware of that. i tried drawing "polys" on the sides but apparently polys can only be drawn in the menus. next i will try covering it up with "surfaces", these should be visible ingame aswell but i havent completely understood how they work yet. for the zoomed fov, it should be correct because it is calculated from the normal fov variable which is changed by the patch.

• 11 months later...

In answer to my own question, yes it is. I fixed it by going into layout.txt and changing the below setting:

[Overlay]
Sprite0 = "Interface\hud\Spr\Scope.spr"
Scale0 = 0.0999//0.08
I created a new rez with cshell.dll from this patch and layout.txt in a folder called attributes.
There are probably some other overlays that will need fixing. As I play through I'll fix them and provide the info here if needed.

• 5 months later...

In answer to my own question, yes it is. I fixed it by going into layout.txt and changing the below setting:

[Overlay]
Sprite0 = "Interface\hud\Spr\Scope.spr"
Scale0 = 0.0999//0.08
I created a new rez with cshell.dll from this patch and layout.txt in a folder called attributes.
There are probably some other overlays that will need fixing. As I play through I'll fix them and provide the info here if needed.

That would be marvelous, especially now as it seems like this widescreen patch was abandoned too.

There is a new widescreen fix for NOLF1 and that has problems like this too (misaligned texts here and there, same issue with the scope) so if you can you should look at that game too. :)

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17973&start=30

Edited by Zaxx

What ratio do you think that widescreen is.... 21:9 ?

Jackfuste's patch supports all kinds of WS resolutions, he just used 21:9 aspect ratio shots to show it off I guess.