Sign in to follow this  
fearless

1.3 Patch error

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

Decided recently to install NOLF2 again and went looking for patches, widescreen info etc.

Have the 2 CD retail edition and all seemed to install fine - asked to reboot and i did so.

Clicked on the update to 1.3 file and the installer gave me an error:

"An installation support file could not be installed.

Catastrophic failure"

Found out that i couldnt uninstall the game as well.

Downloaded revo uninstaller thing - that didnt help except to delete reg entries etc. but it did show a IKernel.exe file it couldnt delete. So i manually deleted it from the Common Files\Installshield\Engine folders.

Now i could uninstall and install

Tried the patch file - downloaded a few from different sites - but each gives me the same error.

Ive tried compatibility mode (and unblocked the files etc) but no joy.

Im running windows 7 64bit and i suspect the Installshield engine is an older bugged one perhaps.

I even downloaded and tried an IKernelUpdate thing for 6.X for installshield thing. Used 7z to extract files - tried to run them - swapped Ikernel.exe and setup.exe's from various games to see if they would make any difference - but all with the same message. Also ive checked for permissions on folders - im running as admin, took ownership of folders/files etc etc

All other games and programs install/uninstall correctly - so im at the stage where i dont have any other options that i can think of, except installing onto a older winxp machine perhaps and copying files over.

Just wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue and has found a solution?

Thanks

Best regards

fearless

I managed to download the zip of the update_v1x3.rez and put into the folder but the exe is still 1.0 so it doesnt seem to have any effect.

Been playing round with command line stuff to see if i can at least run it with widescreen - partial success - really need update to 1.3 i think and then i could download that livesforver mod that hopefully would fix up that issue.

Cheers anyhow.

First off welcome to the forum.

Can you right-click the patch exe and select the run as administrator option?

Let me know if it installs for you that way.

The patches for NOLF2 use 32 bit installers so they should run just fine on your 64 bit WIndows 7 (runs on my Windows 8 Professional 64 bit too)

Hi,

Tried running the patch as administrator and normal, still get the same message unfortunately. Cleared out any temp files beforehand, turned off AV to see if that helped, but no joy im afraid.

Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

Running exe: si_nolf2_update_en_10-12_13.exe

nolf2update_error_zps102f5630.png

Edited by fearless

They should be applied in this order:

If the Retail patch isn't installed first the others won't install. I can certainly zip up my 1.3 rez if that helps.

1.3 Retail Patch 1.3 Mappack 1 1.3 Mappack 2 1.3

Looks like i have to give this game a miss, no one of the patches work, in any order - still getting same error. must be a bugged installshield issue i suspect, running on wow64 probably making it more of an issue than it should be. Thanks for the suggestions/help tho.

Since they work for the majority I would investigate what is different in your case. If your NOLF 2 install is in for example, Italian then the Italian 1.3 patch would need to be applied first etc.

Another option is to right-click and chose a compatibility option for an older version of windows and see if that allows it to install.

Finally right-click and select the run as administrator option.

I am seeing this issue too with the english version on Windows 10. Did anyone ever find a solution to it?

6 hours ago, Jens said:

I am seeing this issue too with the english version on Windows 10. Did anyone ever find a solution to it?

Be sure to right-click the update and run it as administrator. 

Also check to see if you have the game installed in a non-standard directory. 

I've recently got this each time i've tried to install NOLF 2 on the newer versions of Windows 10, as well. It doesn't matter if you run the patch as admin or not, or have it installed in a non-standard or not.

Its not a massive deal to me, as I have an XP machine I can install it on then copy it over, but it would be nice to know as to why it does it and how to fix it.

Edited by Yengoshi

20 hours ago, Yengoshi said:

I've recently got this each time i've tried to install NOLF 2 on the newer versions of Windows 10, as well. It doesn't matter if you run the patch as admin or not, or have it installed in a non-standard or not.

Its not a massive deal to me, as I have an XP machine I can install it on then copy it over, but it would be nice to know as to why it does it and how to fix it.

It has to do with the installshield binaries. The older version (as is found in the patch file) isn't supported on Windows 10. If you grab the setup file we've created HERE You can install an already patched complete game that will run on Windows 10. 

I ran into this problem recently installing & updating Contract Jack on a clean install of Windows 10.

I got it working by deleting CJ's installshield GUID info from Windows registry & rerunning the game installer from the disc "As Admin". Then the update installer ran like normal.