Tournament

Cheese Puff

Being fairly new to the scene I am not aware of any events which may have been organised in the past which may have been successful or otherwise.

I was wondering if there is a practical way and if anyone would be keen to run a tournament.

I was thinking either a world cup, or a "5 a side" tournament - allowing any one to join in if they sign up. (an event outside of clan matches)

Any thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds cool........sign me up for a world cup ...........5-a-side sounds good.

What do you need to get started?

me too cp

yuh.....a UnityHQ tourney.............it will be fun..........Bella, speak to Cheese, he is up for it. :specool:

Glad to see there would be some interest. I would be happy to collect teams and help arrange matches, but am a little naive to how you lock servers and stuff.

Depending on numbers who would sign up. My thoughts were maybe to have a mini league before a knock out finals. Matches consisting of a best three DD maps at 10mins a game, therefore a match would last no more than half hour, and several could be played in a day.

Tournaments. Have we ever had one actually finish and people enjoyed it? They seem to start out with enthusiasm then fall apart in the middle. If there is going to be a UnityHQ Tournament I have to insist that it is not a 'clan' tournament and everyone can play. Also, all details need to be figured out ahead of time and posted clearly for all to see. We're not going to just jump into this, we'll take our time and make sure it's done right.

Regarding the idea to keep things short, I like that. If we're just looking to count kill points and completion of the device isn't the main idea, why not play Team Deathmatch instead of DD?

If anyone has been involved with tournaments before please post any helpful advice, lessons learned and what to avoid. :)

I was not thinking of anything serious - the idea was from 5-a-side football tournaments we have in the UK which last a day. Clearly the time factor involved would make it difficult to keep it to just one day, but the idea would be not to stretch it out.

However the following format could be completed in an 8 hour day

4 Groups with 3 teams in each = 12 matches x 1/2 hr = 6hrs

Group winners play semi final = 2 matches = 1 hr

Final = 1/2 hour.

If we played DD then the matches may not even last the full 1/2 hour.

If 5 -a-side then this is 60 players (maybe too many Im not sure)

Whilst waiting to play people can meet on TS, and play other servers.

I wonder if teams drawn at random would help keep things friendly. I think the match times would have to be posted and if a team member doesn't show you have to struggle on.

Also I have noticed a lot of guests looking at this thread, it may encourage them to register and get involved.

I also think learning from the past is essential

All thoughts please

Yeah that's a real problem. We have a limited time span to work with if we're trying to bring both continents into this together. Based on the 6 hour time difference between EST and CET we should at least be able to play matches in from about 11 am EST or 17 CET until 16 EST or 22 CET. That's 6 hours. I guess we would need a weekend to do this huh? Otherwise I like the concept! Also a big clue is keeping the teams small... Getting more than three or four people in the same place at the same time with no surprises, in next to impossible. I am thinking 2 or 3-man teams.

Problem with letting people team up freely is that the best ones always team up and take the suspense right out of the tournament. Draws maybe? Seedings?

Anyhow rules clearly defined even before sign-up is a must... Gotta know what we're signing up for.

I can help if needed or wanted! And I also wanna play :duel:

As they say ignorance is bliss.

Any chance of enlightening us a bit further as to what these ignorances are?

Ignore Foxsy he's the first one to whine usually ;)

Good thing most of us encourage fresh ideas and thoughts ;)

My suggest:

Two organisators......maybe Spacko and Cheese...not more....or things

come down to blahblahblah.whinewhinewhine (like u see)

Just do it...set time and date...post a roster...

and we will see...loking forward to this event :D

Yep......I agree with Natter.......just go for it........... ignore the whingers.

(You may need to get on the good side of Eliteone, for a server ;) )

'Thought would destroy their paradise! / No more; where ignorance is bliss / 'Tis folly to be wise' -- Lines 98 -100 Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College by Thomas Gray (1747)

And here I thought they only talked about BBQ in KC ! :P

I'm always up for a tourney.

The problem that I have seen with these in the past are.

1) Getting ahold of people to play the match when its scheduled.

2) Once one individual or team is out of the running, they neglect to complete their matches.

But who knows it may work!

Knix' date='Jan 30 2006, 12:22 PM' post='29114']

And here I thought they only talked about BBQ in KC ! :P

Well, we are the best at BBQ. ;-)

For the sports fans there are the two major league sports teams which have their moments.

If you are interested in the more, umm. colorful side of Kansas City life there is this. Chicago might get better PR, but ours were more effective.

As they say ignorance is bliss.

Any chance of enlightening us a bit further as to what these ignorances are?

Ah, id rather not get into it much but when it came to the three (i believe) tourneys

that we had in NOLF2 in the past, they basicly got ruined because NOLFer#1

hated NOLFer#2 and NOLFclan#1 hated NOLFclan#2.

Ignore Foxsy he's the first one to whine usually ;)

Good thing most of us encourage fresh ideas and thoughts ;)

did she just say this was a "fresh" thought?

e1, u have been around this community long enough i know...

nolf2 has tried this tournament crap millions of times, and it never works...

i mean, sure, if and when u guys get this started, i will have a team entered and i will be in it...

but truthfully...the chances that the thing works and finishes...is about a 5% chance...

o and to elaborate on what foxsy said...

yah the reasons they never worked...

clans hated each other, or certain players hated other certain players...

so EVERYONE was crying foul, and saying people cheated, and all this stuff...

i mean, its a given that there is going to be one team out there that is gonna be almost unstoppable...

and that makes everyone cry foul, because the team is unbeatable, so people start crying about cheating and stuff, and then the tourny just has to die, cuz people refuse to play anymore, b/c they are just gonna lose...its ridiculus...

this is gonna be what...our um...4th try at a community tourny...

lets see if the right people in charge of it will actually make the difference ;)