Superbowl XL - Yay Steelers (and Seahawks too)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah yes. me only likes da bills when they're in it. as ralph wilson once said "i'll be back". (that was him right?) :P when the bills aren't in it, i tend to root for an old school favorite. and right now that team is the pittsburgh steelers.

and to major. grab a paper bag, put it over your mouth and breathe in, now breathe out. breathe in, breathe out...............relax man............relax. it's all good.

I can't cheer for the Bills. I grew up with them totally sucking in the 70's (and the Steelers rocking the world) and really hating them so I'm not going to switch to cheering for them now. They only started doing well when I moved out of town. Even when they 'finally' went to the Superbowl, I was uninterested. I refuse to be a fair weather fan. Plus I know it really ticks my step-mother off when I cheer for the other team the Bills are playing. :P

I've followed the Seahawks along time pretty much when they started as a team. It's taken along time. They've earned it (look how many said the colts were going to be in the superbowl with their record)

Reading papers on the internet I just find it ironic the seattle papers aren't dogging the Steelers but the SeaHawks are getting dogged in various articles.

I think it's going to be a damn good game on Feb 5th. Yes the steelers have been to superbowls before (though only one of the current players on the team has been to one) Yes the SeaHawks are going for the first time (though 5 of their current players have been with previous teams) both coaches have super bowl coaching experience etc.

throw all that in the pot and you have a good football game for the fans of the game to enjoy.

Had to share this one.

Seahawks Will Wear Home Blue Jerseys In Super Bowl

January 24, 2006

By KOMO Staff & News Services

PITTSBURGH - To coach Bill Cowher, the Pittsburgh Steelers simply look right in white.

The Steelers will buck years of tradition and wear their white away uniforms in the Super Bowl against Seattle, even though they are designated by the NFL as the home team and could wear their more imposing black jersey tops.

The black jerseys and gold pants are the Steelers' traditional look, and numerous sports teams have switched to black uniforms in recent years because they believe it creates a more intimidating presence.

Cowher made the choice by himself and without consulting with ownership, saying, "We're not playing at Heinz Field so, in my mind, it's an away game."

The Steelers' unprecedented success as a road team no doubt factored into Cowher's decision to wear white for the fourth consecutive game. The Steelers are the only sixth-seeded team to reach the Super Bowl and the first to knock off the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 teams in a conference to get there. They have won in successive weeks at Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Denver.

Their choice will put the Seahawks in their metallic blue "home" jerseys. Seattle was 10-0 in the regular season and playoffs while wearing blue at home. But they were 0-2 away from Qwest Field with them, losing at Jacksonville in Week 1 and at Washington in Week 4.

The Steelers also will go against another tradition by not flying to Detroit until Monday - normally, teams travel to the Super Bowl site on the Sunday before the game. With Pittsburgh located so close to Detroit, Cowher said there was no reason to go any earlier since the first big Super Bowl-related event is Tuesday's media day.

But it was Cowher's decision to wear white that caused the biggest stir in a town where it's difficult to drive past more than one or two houses without seeing a black and gold Terrible Towel or banner. Cowher became perplexed at the constant questioning about the issue at his weekly news conference, finally saying, "You want to know what shoes I'm wearing, too?"

"I didn't think it was that big a deal what jersey color you're wearing," Cowher said. "Maybe that's just me, OK? To me, if you're not playing at Heinz Field it's an away game. I think anyone can understand that rationale. If it's a sensitive issue to people, I'm sorry."

Sensitive issue, maybe. But could it be superstition?

"We've been playing well last three weeks on road, and this is another fourth game on the road - I don't know if that's superstitious," he said.

Uniform issues aside, Cowher effectively revealed the Steelers' theme for the next two weeks, and it's a familiar one - we ain't done nothing yet. Despite the Steelers' 3-for-3 AFC road sweep, he said any Super Bowl finalist's season is defined by what it does in this game and not how it gets there.

"The deal isn't done yet," he said. "This is going to be our toughest challenge. Seattle is playing at an extremely high level, and we haven't accomplished anything yet. That's the thing to keep in mind ... it all can change in one play, one quarter, one bad game."

The Steelers know all about that, having lost four AFC title games at home and a Super Bowl in the last dozen seasons, gaining them a reputation of being a team that can't stand up to the challenge of big games. While this road run may be altering that theory, Cowher understands it will be stamped on his team again - especially since the Steelers are favored against Seattle after being underdogs the last two weeks.

"They're just as hungry as we are," Cowher said. "It's a golden opportunity for us, but don't underestimate the challenge that's in front of us. ... You realize how hard it is to get there, but don't lose sight that the goal is to win a championship.

"Nobody remembers that you lost a Super Bowl, they remember who won a Super Bowl."

Cowher did reveal one other thought he had after the Steelers ended a streak of three consecutive losses in the AFC title game by beating Denver 34-17 Sunday.

"Thank goodness I'm not going back to Hawaii," he said.

The losing coach in each conference championship game handles the Pro Bowl teams, so Cowher has coached the AFC four times since the 1994 season. This is his second time in the Super Bowl; the Steelers lost 27-17 to Dallas in January 1996 as a two-touchdown underdog.

ok a few things...

just to spark a football fight, cuz thats what im good at :P

the reason the seahawks arent talking smack, and the steelers are...

is b/c the seatle seahawks have nothing they can talk smack on, the team just cant compare to the steelers...the only thing they have over the steelers...is that the MVP plays for their team, but in the end, its not the league MVP that wins superbowls ;)

anywayz...knix...yah Yancey Thigpen was never really amazing, but he was always fun to watch for me...

and since im a die hard titans fan...until the day i die, i will still tell u, the reason they lost to the rams on the superbowl, is cuz Yancey Thigpen was injured for that game. if he was in, it wouldnt have even been close!

and if it was, that last pass woulda been to him, and he wouldnt have been stopped like dyson...(spoken like a true titans fan) :D

anywayz...

im callin pittsburgh winning the game...38-17

reasons for that...

1) seatle doesnt have a defence (that i have seen) good enough to stop both a powerful run game, and a dominant pass offence... they can shut down 1 of them very well, but not both...

2) pittsburgh's defence is too strong to let seatle get a high number of points...this is why i dont even think seatle will break the 20's...but they MIGHT...but even if they do, i think pittsburgh just scores more...

what i would like to see though, is the game come down to the last team having the ball to win...and that team being pittsburgh...cuz those are always fun superbowls :P

well, the Buccanneers/Raiders superbowl was fun, just b/c all of my friends love the raiders (cali grown)...so i was laughin at them and stuff for so long. stuff like that makes superbowls enjoyable...

fierce rivalry between friends...

truely, i am just tryin to start "arguements" here, so that when the superbowl is on, it gives me more to cheer for, cuz it makes me feel like, i am winning over people like Major, E1, and um...Jacques...

but yah...it sucks cuz i cant watch the game with any of my friends and actually have a fight break out or something, because everyone here agrees the steelers will win...

this also means, that i dont get any money :(

i made $350 alone in these playoffs...

but now i have no1 to bet :(

ok a few things...

just to spark a football fight, cuz thats what im good at :P

the reason the seahawks arent talking smack, and the steelers are...

is b/c the seatle seahawks have nothing they can talk smack on, the team just cant compare to the steelers...the only thing they have over the steelers...is that the MVP plays for their team, but in the end, its not the league MVP that wins superbowls ;)

anywayz...knix...yah Yancey Thigpen was never really amazing, but he was always fun to watch for me...

and since im a die hard titans fan...until the day i die, i will still tell u, the reason they lost to the rams on the superbowl, is cuz Yancey Thigpen was injured for that game. if he was in, it wouldnt have even been close!

and if it was, that last pass woulda been to him, and he wouldnt have been stopped like dyson...(spoken like a true titans fan) :D

anywayz...

im callin pittsburgh winning the game...38-17

reasons for that...

1) seatle doesnt have a defence (that i have seen) good enough to stop both a powerful run game, and a dominant pass offence... they can shut down 1 of them very well, but not both...

2) pittsburgh's defence is too strong to let seatle get a high number of points...this is why i dont even think seatle will break the 20's...but they MIGHT...but even if they do, i think pittsburgh just scores more...

what i would like to see though, is the game come down to the last team having the ball to win...and that team being pittsburgh...cuz those are always fun superbowls :P

well, the Buccanneers/Raiders superbowl was fun, just b/c all of my friends love the raiders (cali grown)...so i was laughin at them and stuff for so long. stuff like that makes superbowls enjoyable...

fierce rivalry between friends...

truely, i am just tryin to start "arguements" here, so that when the superbowl is on, it gives me more to cheer for, cuz it makes me feel like, i am winning over people like Major, E1, and um...Jacques...

but yah...it sucks cuz i cant watch the game with any of my friends and actually have a fight break out or something, because everyone here agrees the steelers will win...

this also means, that i dont get any money :(

i made $350 alone in these playoffs...

but now i have no1 to bet :(

How are you "winning" over me?

Talking "smack" just shows ones true character is all.

Talking "smack" just shows ones true character is all.

Hear that RXS? :P

Damnit people, when i ask questions i want answers damnit > <!!!

Oh, and i got another one, i heared the Indi Colts were like undefeated,

what happend to them? :o

Fox, it's heard, not heared...but I'm sure you did that on purpose. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, i knew that, i just typed too fast and made a mistake,

yeah, thats right, even though im a wizard of the word, an artist, a good

basketball player, tall and handsome, a joker, AND a good NOLFer, i aint perfect.

e1...

that "shows ones character" BS...doesnt bother me...

its just like some1 to say that that has probably never stepped out onto a sports field before though...

smack talkin is part of the sport, but yah, like i said, u wouldnt know that, until u have actually gone out and played a sport...

i have been playing soccer since i was 4 years old (in leagues) and i played football for 3 years...

and that "winning over you" thingy...

im just sayin, when i watch a football game, i like havin some1 to root against...

usually i have a friend or two that i can watch a game with b/c we are going for seperate teams, and that always makes it more fun and interesting, but for this superbowl i cant...

but again, you wouldnt know what rooting for a team is like right?

seeing as you probably arent too big of a sports lady yourself...

just stick to the forums and runnin the community stuff, u do an AMAZING job at it (better than anyone i have ever seen)...and leading your clan..

but leave the sports discussions to the sports people :)

plz :)

e1...

that "shows ones character" BS...doesnt bother me...

its just like some1 to say that that has probably never stepped out onto a sports field before though...

smack talkin is part of the sport, but yah, like i said, u wouldnt know that, until u have actually gone out and played a sport...

i have been playing soccer since i was 4 years old (in leagues) and i played football for 3 years...

and that "winning over you" thingy...

im just sayin, when i watch a football game, i like havin some1 to root against...

usually i have a friend or two that i can watch a game with b/c we are going for seperate teams, and that always makes it more fun and interesting, but for this superbowl i cant...

but again, you wouldnt know what rooting for a team is like right?

seeing as you probably arent too big of a sports lady yourself...

just stick to the forums and runnin the community stuff, u do an AMAZING job at it (better than anyone i have ever seen)...and leading your clan..

but leave the sports discussions to the sports people :)

plz :)

LMAO !! :rtfm2: where does it say you are the guru of sports? sheesh I may not be a native of the USA but I know what sports are. I've followed the Mariners (I am more into baseball as far a sports go) for a few years now (See I choose a team to patronize and stay loyal to them) Major like he has said has been a Seahawks fan since the first year. You were but a glimmer in your mom and dad's eye then Factor so how about a little basic courtisy? I participated in some sports when I was in college.

Why is it so hard a concept for you to get that not everyone is impressed by your need to take potshots at their dream. Gameday will decide it. See for the people in the northwest and Seattle the dream has now become reality. That is how the SeaHawks and their fan will be. At the same time they are showing a respect for the fans of the Steelers and the Steelers team. They do not boo down someone wearing a Steelers Jersey. No they still treat that person as they would treat anyone else.

For you keep this in mind as you keep tossing mud "treat others as you would want them to treat you"

See Knix, Bella and even Lodingi posted the why they are fans. Sounds like you are one of those my team (Titans) wasn't good enough so I'll just jump over here for awhile types. Then I suspect you will switch allegences again. People like Knix, Lodingi and Major at least stay loyal to the team they believe in.

haha, OBVIOUSLY...you skipped a few posts...

as i very clearly explained why the titans were my favorite team...

i stated plenty of times, that the titans are the only team i have stuck with my whole life, and the way i came to liking them, was my favorite steelers player was traded to them and ever since them i liked them...

OBVIOUSLY i am not a front runner, b/c i am STILL saying the titans are my favorite team, even after their 4 win season...

the last 2 years for them have been crappy as hell, u dont see me running ;)

pittsburgh has always just been a team of interest of mine...

especially since troy palamalu is playing there...(USC Trojans...favorite college team)...

as i stated earlier, i like to follow all of my USC players...

Chris Gamble, Keary Colbert - Carolina Panthers

Will Poole - Miami Dolphins

Kenechi Udeze - Minnesota Vikings

Lofa Tatupu - your very own "Seatle Seahawks"

Mike Williams - Detroit Lions

Carson Palmer - Cincinatti Bengals

Troy Palamalu - Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike Patterson - Philidelphia Eagles

Justin Fargas - Oakland Raiders

is there anyone im forgetting?...hope not...

see, so please do not accuse me of "team hopping"...i follow USC players ;)

and since my team (Tennessee Titans) are out of the playoffs, i am gonna root for the team with a lot of players i like...which would be the steelers...

thank you ;)

Sorry Factor, but it's total BS to imply that unless you physically play sports you don't have a valid opinion on them. I'm impressed eliteone didn't blast you for hinting that her thoughts on the superbowl teams don't matter. You can state your thoughts and opinions with class, understanding and passion without reverting to a caveman grunting mentality. Also, where do you get off saying the Steelers are talking smack? Bill Cowher was giving the Seahawks respect as a worthy opponent in that article major posted. I haven't heard anything derogatory coming from the Steelers towards Seeattle, and let me tell you, the news is covering the Steelers is non-stop here... except for when Mario announced he was quitting hockey, that shut up the football coverage for a day.

We all get it, that you want the Steelers to win and why you think they will. Why the need to constantly attempt to stress you know more than everyone else here? :blink:

yah you are right, mario lemiux retirement even got bill cowher to stop and comment on it, and take a day off of football...

anywayz...

u are crazy...u are pulling out little bits and pieces of everything i say, and forgetting the rest of it and then being like...OMG he said this and that and this and that...

i never said the "steelers" are talkin smack...the newspapers reporting are giving the steelers the edge big time, thats all, so THEY are the ones talking "smack" on seatle, not giving them a chance in heck...

and i didnt say her thoughts dont matter, but seriously, if u arent some1 that watches sports a lot and stuff, and u dont know too much about what u are talkin about, dont talk...*nuff said*

i have learned that over the past few years...

i mean, she is saying that the "smack" talking is a sign of character...

thats BS, and thats why i went off and said that stuff...

if u have ever played or watched a sport, u know that trash talking helps build sports. and EVERY SINGLE GAME that is played...even the 2 worst teams playing against each other, there is trash talking, its part of sports....

so u gonna go and tell me that no1 that plays a professional sport has character?

i laugh at you! HAHA!

Like I said in a past post, trash/smack talking is part of the foundation of any fan. Go to the message boards at ESPN for ANY sport or any team, and you will see it for yourself.

People are free to cheer for more then one team, or individual players, or w/e, thats their perogative.

For me I cheer for one team in each of the 4 big four U.S sports. Unless the team moves to a different city or disbands, I will stay with those teams no matter how they perform (see the Knicks for example :P).

These teams represent the city where I was born, and the area where i grew up and currently live.

I cannot personally cheer for a team that represents a city other then New York.

well, seeing as i grew up in LA...and there are no teams here but the dodgers and the angels...

i have to find different teams to appreciate for the other sports ;)

and i dont really follow hockey, but ive gone to a few mighty ducks and kings games...

i prefer the kings though...

ahh some sweet memories....

SB XXI Giants vs. Broncos.

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/nflf...bowl_21_300k.rm

SB XXV Giants vs. Bills..

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/nflf...bowl_25_300k.rm

And a Nightmare thrown in...

SB XXXV Giants vs. Ravens

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/nflf...bowl_35_300k.rm

Giants Vs. Ravens...

oh God...

that was the only superbowl (in my lifetime) that i absolutly could not watch...

i was trying and trying to get interested in it...but it just sucked...

once the 4th quarter came around, i just started hoping that Ray Lewis got MVP...b/c i think that was the first Defensive SuperBowl MVP i had ever seen, so i was hoping for that...it gave me SOMETHING to cheer about in that game..

once the 4th quarter came around, i just started hoping that Ray Lewis got MVP...b/c i think that was the first Defensive SuperBowl MVP i had ever seen, so i was hoping for that...it gave me SOMETHING to cheer about in that game..

Yeah, it always cheers me up when a vicious murderer gets recognized for his achievements on the field, too.