Master Server Down

Yes it's happened again

IPB Image

IPB Image

it is not your game having the issue but the master server. So everyone contact Sierra/VU and let them know ;)

refer to this post http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/inde...p?showtopic=564 for info on reporting the down master server.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried all possible connection things:

Gamespy, direct-connect, command-line.....

nothing worked......biiig issue :angry:

time to contact sierra

we need a patch to remove the cd-key request...urgent

its not more seasonabel for a cheap game like nolf2

wich software-pirate copy nolf2?....no one...

its no business for pirates

Yeah this is bullsh.. tried the whole morning to start gaming :angry: . But at least it's no prob with my software :rolleyes: . I had the prob for the first time so I didn't know it was a known issue.

Gotta post sierra..... :angry:

Moody I was just thinking the same thing the other day! Look what happens??? :o:o:o

Well I have sent Sierra a very NICE please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please FIX this problem message!

I wonder should I have said 'Please' one more time?? Hmmm... <_<

:rolleyes: Cel

I should have come here sooner. I thought it was the anti-cheat patch I just downloaded, so I disabled that. Still had the problem, so I uninstalled and reinstalled my software. Nope. So I did as Elite suggested and sent a request to Sierra.

Ohhh yes I got that too!!! Just take out all the comma's etc from your message until that red comment on the side disappears. That's what i did! :D

Goodluck!!

:) Cel

Welcome {DIH}suglylinni and Hathcock to the Unityhq forum :D

On the master server issue....

Write them more than once and go to here too

IPB Image

HEY THIS IS FOR THE CUSTOMER SERVICE SECTION... but i couldnt write a message there..

well, dear sierra!

We (All No One Lives Forever 2 players) would be very pleased if we could get a new master server. The problem is that the current master server sucks. We can't keep playing your game, if the master server only is up when the wind is blowing from west, if you know what i mean.

And btw a NOLF3 would be even better :=)

I resent my offer to them

Dear Sierra VU games,

If the master server is going to be an ongoing issue. I would be willing to host a backup master server. I have hosted 24/7 dedicated Nolf 2 servers for 3 years now. On a Server located in a datacenter (that has power backup systems etc)

I would do this free of charge so the people who enjoy this game can continue to enjoy it.

Seng

hopefully they will take me up on my offer.

make sure everyone emails them or calls them at least once. The more "noise" we make then more they will take notice.

It's bad enough the master server is down, and now we can't even join thru GameSpy or the bat file :(

I trin to get a gameserver up with database. We having problems getting NOLF to run on the server, and this even makes things worse :(

Yeah E1 it would be cool if you could get up a backup master server :D then we wouldn't ever have to worry about master server issues :D:D

As far as the patch petition goes, the only 'noise' they are going to pay attention to is player numbers. Unless there at least a thousand players or servers there just isn't any financial motivation for them to commission a patch from Monolith. An online petition won't get their attention as it is too easy to 'stuff the ballot box'. Phone calls and *hand-written, polite* letters would be a better tactic. While I don't think the odds favor a patch the most weight would be given to people who took the time to hand-write a request.

As far as hosting a backup server goes, it might not be as simple as hosting a single server. I suspect that Sierra is using a series of load-balanced servers. I know they did that for Half-Life when it used WON. I also don't see Sierra letting a 3rd party have access to their authentication system as I bet it authenticates all of their games. I'd be surprised if NOLF 2 used a stand-alone system.

As far as the patch petition goes, the only 'noise' they are going to pay attention to is player numbers. Unless there at least a thousand players or servers there just isn't any financial motivation for them to commission a patch from Monolith. An online petition won't get their attention as it is too easy to 'stuff the ballot box'. Phone calls and *hand-written, polite* letters would be a better tactic. While I don't think the odds favor a patch the most weight would be given to people who took the time to hand-write a request.

As far as hosting a backup server goes, it might not be as simple as hosting a single server. I suspect that Sierra is using a series of load-balanced servers. I know they did that for Half-Life when it used WON. I also don't see Sierra letting a 3rd party have access to their authentication system as I bet it authenticates all of their games. I'd be surprised if NOLF 2 used a stand-alone system.

I know it is unique (Nolf 2's system) as Nolf 1 and Contract Jack are not effected by this outage. FEAR, CounterStrike Source and Half Life 2 (other sierra VU games) are also not affected by this outtage.

But yes FortranDragon is correct emails and phone calls will get their attention faster but still sign the petition after you do the emails and phone calls ;)

I know it is unique (Nolf 2's system) as Nolf 1 and Contract Jack are not effected by this outage. FEAR, CounterStrike Source and Half Life 2 (other sierra VU games) are also not affected by this outtage.

But yes FortranDragon is correct emails and phone calls will get their attention faster but still sign the petition after you do the emails and phone calls ;)

Nolf 1, Contract Jack, and F.E.A.R. use Gamespy directly. Counter Strike Source, Half-Life 2 are Steam-based. Sierra/VU doesn't have anything to do with any Valve game any more since the resolution of the lawsuit.

Thanks E1, this is a great offer...hope they take it :rolleyes:

I still dont understand the sense of the master-server.

Why nolf1, cj, and cod dont need a master server???

seems they find all gameservers by themself.... :unsure:

Nolf 1 and Contract Jack use a different system to find servers and they do not check your key the same way the NOLF 2 server system does. The master server is the one that checks if your CD key is valid and "publishes" the server list so you can find them when you browse for servers. When it goes down your game can't find servers and since you game doesn't get the "my cd key is ok" response back from the master server it will give you the invalid cd key error sometimes.

I still dont understand the sense of the master-server.

Why nolf1, cj, and cod dont need a master server???

seems they find all gameservers by themself.... :unsure:

If you mean Call of Duty with you say cod, then that master server is codmaster.activision.com. It is this server (or servers) that authenticates your Call of Duty key when you play. (CoD:OU and CoD2 use similar servers.) The reason why Call of Duty is this way is because it is based on the Quake 3 engine and that's what id's games do. :) Gamespy Arcade or Gamespy 3D simply polls those master servers periodically and updates their own lists.

I imagine that part of the price paid to include Gamespy in Contract J.A.C.K. was the option to authenticate CJ against Gamespy's servers. So, in this case CJ is using Gamespy directly as a master server for authentication *and* as a matching service.

Since Nolf 1 doesn't do authentication it simply uses Gamespy as a matching service. (That is, when you start a Internet server it gets 'published' on Gamespy.)

At the time of Nolf 2 Sierra seemed to be wanting to do all of the master server stuff in house instead of paying a third party (Gamespy) to do it. Since they had Half-Life, et al, at the time it made sense to use the hardware they already had set up. Given that they've shut down WON and have lost the rights to Half-Life the master servers for (financially) marginal games such as Nolf 2 won't have the speedy responses we'd like to see.