Going back to our roots?

Spacko

Sorry Nova, but that's not really fair at all. As E1 says below you, play the game with the objectives in mind. If the objective of DD was to beat the other team's kill score, then that would be valid, but it isn't. If you don't defend your base in DD, you have your pieces taken. You shouldn't have to spend the next 15 minutes doing the "Spawn->get spawn killed->die" routine, which, even you admit, is boring and frustrating. mad.gif

I was sayin' you can't blame it on someone if you get base stormed, the only one you can blame is yourself. Your team is suppose to work together protecting your base. No one should protect their base by their self, that is what I would call Unfair.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sayin' you can't blame it on someone if you get base stormed, the only one you can blame is yourself. Your team is suppose to work together protecting your base. No one should protect their base by their self, that is what I would call Unfair.

3961[/snapback]

No, I get you, but I think that you misunderstand what I, and the other people who are sick of base rXXX, have a problem with. I agree, if you don't protect your base you get stormed, you lose your pieces and you maybe lose the game. You shouldn't have to get repeatedly spawn killed until the other team decides to have mercy and leaves. That kind of behaviour is, as somebody else pointed out, just to increase cSports rankings and such, and makes the game suck.

I remember a game a couple of weeks ago where you and your SFI buddies got together in Calcutta and blocked off the base that my team was in. You guys stayed back and gave us a chance to prepare before we headed out to the blockade to try and break through, which we didn't I should add. Sure, we lost (badly I think, hehe) but it was still enjoyable because we had an aim, and we got to live for longer than 5 seconds.

Do you get the point that I'm making?

Ok...heres a challenge to all people who don't agree with Base Graping (yes Grape, there's normally a bunch of them tongue.gif )

Your Challenge is :-

When your team is graping a base, switch teams and fight with those getting graped, see it as a challenge to defeat the grapers. Do you have the capability?

I remember a game a couple of weeks ago where you and your SFI buddies got together in Calcutta and blocked off the base that my team was in. You guys stayed back and gave us a chance to prepare before we headed out to the blockade to try and break through

When I see that my team starts storming a wee bit too much, I tend to take a walk in the middle of the map until the other team can grab some more weapons and ammo & fight back. I usually try to have my team mates doing the same, but it works well with too few people, unfortunately. But, sometimes, I don't have to bother asking, because some fair players tend to naturally let the others "breathe" a bit. It's good to know that people remember this kind of behaviour, though tongue.gif On the other hand, no-one ever wants to remember painful base-stormings...

Ok...heres a challenge to all people who don't agree with Base Graping (yes Grape, there's normally a bunch of them  tongue.gif )

Your Challenge is :-

When your team is graping a base, switch teams and fight with those getting graped, see it as a challenge to defeat the grapers. Do you have the capability?

3986[/snapback]

not untill you spawn at a descent spot with no guys/girls from the other team around

No, I get you, but I think that you misunderstand what I, and the other people who are sick of base rXXX, have a problem with. I agree, if you don't protect your base you get stormed, you lose your pieces and you maybe lose the game. You shouldn't have to get repeatedly spawn killed until the other team decides to have mercy and leaves. That kind of behaviour is, as somebody else pointed out, just to increase cSports rankings and such, and makes the game suck.

I remember a game a couple of weeks ago where you and your SFI buddies got together in Calcutta and blocked off the base that my team was in. You guys stayed back and gave us a chance to prepare before we headed out to the blockade to try and break through, which we didn't I should add. Sure, we lost (badly I think, hehe) but it was still enjoyable because we had an aim, and we got to live for longer than 5 seconds.

Do you get the point that I'm making?

Yes, I just didn't read your other post (lazy). I wrote this on post 18:

...and you deserve to get killed. But not for 20 minutes of course. Not for 15. Not for 10. No one wants to get based stormed for a long time, some do, some like the hardness of it. Making the effort to get out and kill them all is what makes you become a better player.

I also do not like the be base stormed, I hate to be spawn tagged then killed for 15 minutes. It's boring, and quite frustrating. For example. One of the biggest base rapers would be 'Name Deleted'. Course this is my opinion...but he does base storm a lot, and I think he should BACK OFF of all the base rapes. If it's very easy to go into the other team's base, your Teams aren't balanced.

Onyx that is a good idea, but when 'Name Deleted' is base storming you, it's still kind of hard since he's like ALWAYS there. Though I'm not sure if 'Name Deleted' still base rapes, haven't played with him in weeks.

****Do not use these forums to complain about other players. It's considered a personal attack and is against forum rules.****

Edited by Belladonna

When I see that my team starts storming a wee bit too much...

3994[/snapback]

SFI, as a group, aren't really a problem on the base rXXX issue, you guys are cool. There's maybe one or two individuals in the team, though, who need a good spanking biggrin.gif

Yes, I just didn't read your other post (lazy).

3998[/snapback]

Ah I see, that makes sense. At least you're honest biggrin.gif

One of the biggest base rapers would be 'Name Deleted'.

3998[/snapback]

No... Really? I hadn't noticed wink.gif

He's one of those base rxxers that really get my goat. He doesn't need to play cheaply, he's good, so why does he do it?* I guess that the CSports thing might have something to do with it...

*see also 'Name Deleted'

****Do not use these forums to complain about other players. It's considered a personal attack and is against forum rules.****

Edited by Belladonna

no need to badmouth and point fingers, jason

debating about base stormings is pointless. granted, it can get tiresome and tacky, but what are you going to gain from it? you wont be able to stop people from doing it.

When I see that my team starts storming a wee bit too much, I tend to take a walk in the middle of the map until the other team can grab some more weapons and ammo & fight back.

Yo Gen, I do that too... But as my team hardly ever backs off with me, I get stuck wandering the middle and usually have to switch to the other team. Which is kinda good, I guess. I just do not get why people think this base camping/storming/whatever you wanna call it is fun. Going in to get a piece, even respawning the core in the DD room, all that is good and great. But I mean, everyone knows that killing someone who just respawned is very easy. I guess it all narrows down to who wants a fair fight, and who wants to get a high score. It just always surprises me when people take score over fun, cool, even fight.

it doesnt matter whether or not you block the csport ports that log the people and scores of the servers we play in. by all means we could do that, but people will still base storm. most people know of AE's infamous 190-something point game and that was proven through a simple screenshot and witnesses. even if you block csports, which i think e1 has done to a server or two, people will still rack up points and take screenies of their trophy games.

Oops! But Nova did it first biggrin.gif Just jokes, that was uncalled for on my part.

However, I wasn't badmouthing either of them Blue, if you read what I said I was actually saying that they're really good players who don't need to play cheaply to get a good score, so it makes me totally mad when they do it.

And by the way, if you think that talking about it doesn't help, you're wrong. Since this thread started people have been much more receptive to criticism of their behaviour. Instead of ignoring requests to stop rXXing, they usually pull out after a few reminders that we're here to assemble a funny looking paperweight, not kill each other as cheaply as we can.

I mean, everyone knows that killing someone who just respawned is very easy. I guess it all narrows down to who wants a fair fight, and who wants to get a high score. It just always surprises me when people take score over fun, cool, even fight.

Very well said cool.gif

I must agree. I have been more aware as not to storm as I used to. I have also noticed more maps actually finished prior to the time expiring as well. What about respawn kills when you happen to be in an area where someone respawns. You have every weapon under the sun, and they have a cantana and 12 rounds of a handgun. Do you count to 3 Mississippi before you attack? I don't know the etiquette here.

Well, some times I let them get a weapon and shoot them before they can fire ^^

4109[/snapback]

thats no use either you might as well ake the weapon yuorself^^

i say shoot anyone who you encounter but stay in the base for a minimum amnount of time mellow.gif

when u pass by and let them spawn the'll stab u in the back anyway tongue.gif

I must agree. I have been more aware as not to storm as I used to. I have also noticed more maps actually finished prior to the time expiring as well. What about respawn kills when you happen to be in an area where someone respawns. You have every weapon under the sun, and they have a cantana and 12 rounds of a handgun. Do you count to 3 Mississippi before you attack? I don't know the etiquette here.

4104[/snapback]

Hey, that's cool Adam. Thanks for being aware!

About the happening to be around a respawning someone, I say kill and don't think more of it. What I mind is when they hang around a base for many many minutes, killing the virtually unarmed. A spawn kill here and there is as much a part of the game as finishing the device - it's only bad etiquette when it's done as a strategy of its own.

What about respawn kills when you happen to be in an area where someone respawns. You have every weapon under the sun, and they have a cantana and 12 rounds of a handgun. Do you count to 3 Mississippi before you attack? I don't know the etiquette here.

4104[/snapback]

Bravo Knix for being more aware of your own actions. cool.gif As far as etiquette goes, in DM I usually try to let someone get off 3 or 4 shots with the handgun before I attack. I figure if they can double tap my head with the 9mm, they've earned those points. If they're new people I'll let them empty the whole clip. I might even *gasp* blink.gif not shoot them if they're new and cool. But that's me in DM, I play for fun instead of points. cool.gif

On the other side of this thread, I've been thinking about "the problem". It occurred to me, when the abusers drop the last piece of the paperweight in their base, why not switch teams, pick it up and place it to end the game. Switch back to your team next map. (Excuse me if this was already mentioned, I don't remember) Ethically I think it's a little grey. I mean, if you start doing that, why not switch sides, grab a piece, drag it to the enemy base, switch back and place it? Call it Double Agent tactics.

My question to the group:

Is going Double Agent to end base abuse a slippery slope to Double Agent piece stealing? Is it ethically wrong in some other way? huh.gif

I think that the one thing that would end all of these problems is if a server-side callvote script can be written which will allow kicking/banning/forced level ending etc. That would be the first step, but it has other benefits too. Having been able to do it in heaps of games I'm a bit disappointed that we can't vote for what map we want next. There are some days when all I want to do is cruise Calcutta... cool.gif

I think that the one thing that would end all of these problems is if a server-side callvote script can be written which will allow kicking/banning/forced level ending etc. That would be the first step, but it has other benefits too. Having been able to do it in heaps of games I'm a bit disappointed that we can't vote for what map we want next. There are some days when all I want to do is cruise Calcutta...  cool.gif

4150[/snapback]

no it wouldnt...

you'll get ppl kicked for being noob or afk for 2 minutes..

and you need to keep the game fun for the ppl who dont like the maps you like as well

Yeah, the vote option can be quite annoying too. When it's available, people tend to use it every two minutes. Next map? Next bann? Next boot? Next map? I said NEXT MAP? Sometimes in CoD you spend more time voting than actually playing the game...

hm, i am too lazy to read this topic because it has a lot of pages, but i got the link form bella's post on Gen's thread about base storming and stuff. Stop complaining about it, being the one being base stormed only makes u better so plz stop whining about it, it gets really annoying.

you'll get ppl kicked for being noob or afk for 2 minutes..

Uh...AFK yes, but n00bs why? It's a vote, and the vast majority of people who play this game are fair and friendly to new players. And what's wrong with kicking AFK players anyway? Sometimes it's just that they left their PC for a moment, but sometimes it's a network error which leads to innaccurate reporting of team numbers. We should be able to kick people in that situation.

and you need to keep the game fun for the ppl who dont like the maps you like as well

Yes, that's why it is a vote, not "CoachJason says this, so you all have to comply".

Yeah, the vote option can be quite annoying too. When it's available, people tend to use it every two minutes. Next map? Next bann? Next boot? Next map? I said NEXT MAP? Sometimes in CoD you spend more time voting than actually playing the game...

That's why you need to limit the number of /callvote commands each client can send per round, so that they use them sparingly. And besides, if you ignore votes then you simply keep playing and agree to abide by the ruling of the rest of the server. If it is just for kicking at first, then the vote would only be called in extreme circumstances.