Going back to our roots?

Spacko

Caipirinha and I decided a couple of weeks back to go back to the roots of DoomsDay; how it once was; trying to actually finish the DoomsDay Device in stead of racking up points and dragging out nearly every map to 20 minutes.

A small thing, you say? Well sure, but a small thing which really gets minds boiling! I usually get called quite a few creative gloses simply for placing that last piece. As this seems to be a topic of general Nolf2 interest I figure we might as well share some rational points of view in here in stead of calling each other everything in the book in the servers!

Reasons to play DoomsDay trying to finish the device:

- It's the original purpose of the game mode... It's NOT TDM

- Playing every map for 20 minutes mainly benefits those top 3% who are aiming to improve their top score, and not the 97% remaining

- One team possessing all pieces for almost 20 minutes is a clear sign the teams are unfair, which usually leads to base camping

- Base camping is boring for both teams and takes the joy out of the game

- The gameplay is more varied and diverse

- The joy of those 20 minute thrillers where no team is able to win it is so much bigger when it was really close

Reasons not to:

- Less playing time in the "cool" maps

- More loading time = less playing time

- Smaller and less satisfying scores

Oh well I'm tired of writing, I think my point shines through. I was wondering how the silent majority of Nolfers feels about this? Is anyone else tired of "Don't place!"? Should we might as well switch all the servers to TDM? Opinions opinions, people.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you in the case of a team is base rapping another.

But For Example.

The Blue rush to red base and take their part, they take core so they have all 3 parts. They base rape a bit.

Then Azazel, Caip join the server and go to red team.

The Match is fair now and the red can take a change to complete the device too.

Reasons not to :

- We don't play a real match

- Situation can change if a player join the team

- Charging can take like 5 min, If the game takes only 4 min ( it's very boring )

- Lots of people join the server to play 1-2 maps if people end they won't play so much

- Doomsday for fun, is more a kind of TDM + parts

- You can really practising when you play full time

Reasons to :

-Maps really boring

-Have something to do for 5 min

I agree 100% with Caip. The aim of the game, after all, is to finish the bloody device. It's a kind of a training for matches... I never see the real interest in letting the game last for ages. Those who can't do anything to protect their base in 5 minutes will never be able to do so in 20. The best way of training is to play in real match conditions. So, when a team's good enough to grab all 3 pieces in a short while, they have the right to finish the game by completing the device.

If you wanna practice your fragging skills, go to DM. If you wanna learn how to defend your base and play as a team, play DD, and play fair. Don't complain when somebody ends the game. If they can end it, that's because you haven't been good enough as a team.

Who plays DM : "Spieler", "Player" and "Player0" because Player is already taken. This mustn't be a great practise.

If you want to play against good players you have to play DD.

Since we can't play TDM, we have only team games only with DD.

Yes, but if "Spieler" keeps on playing with "player" and "player0" for ages, none of them will become good. At least, they'll think they are, until they go to DD... That's what happened to me 1 and 1/2 year ago. laugh.gif

Good Points from all

i realized theres a few (not much ) players who are not interested in fair and even teams or building the device. They only have fun in running around in the bases and spawnkill/tag everyone.

and, what a wonder, they are the same players who always know where everyone is mad.gif

this few players destroy all fun and every newcomer is away forever, cuz he/she/it cannot see any fun when be killed every 3 sec. (and newcomers are the most important players).

In even teams its the Wooot-factor to build the device after a furious battle of course.

but how u can hammer it in the brains of our base-camper-freaks??

I say to play more custom maps. It will take some time to learn all the spawn points in every map (btw, GT map has a few anti base camp spawnpoints...also GT-ID map I imagine is much harder to base camp since DD machines are switched around...).

When ending the game, more people leave and it can take several minutes to get everyone loaded into the game. Fighting the base campers (assuming there's no boring spawntags) can only make you a stronger player, forget the points (besides, csports doesn't work well anyway) it's only public server games anyway.

So some possible solutions to a boring game is to base camp with only less damaging weapons, that is, nothing that kills in 1-to-2 hits (i.e phos, rockets). Switch players around, try to get some balance. Don't camp, at least wait in the center, it'll be more fun. To those getting camped, act fast, switch tags on them, sneak out and attack from the outside, instead of complaining- do something about it whether not spawning or turn the tables on them. And did I say play more custom maps?

That's a great point. I've always ended the game. Even when people tell me not too. A couple people from clans (wont name names) Have called me a point-hunter for placing parts... WHAT? blink.gif Definitly made me feel bad. Sorry to rant.

As Mari posted I totally agree with her.

The purpose of DoomsDay is to complete the DoomsDay machine, which requieres to place all parts...

I don't see any reason why somebody shouldn't end a game if he/she has the last part on his/her hands.

Personally I don't care if somebody calls me this or that for ending the game, because complaining people are usually those who want to go on base 'storming'. But I would recommend to kick such people off the server if they do it over and over again (cursing and complaining). it takes the fun our of the game and is kinda daunting new players wink.gif

Well I am all for ending the device...anytime...in any game... ninja.gif

In some situations i am prepared to drop the last piece res it and give them 1 more chance but after that i grab it again END blink.gif

so uhm the message, end game! and if it happens to quick mix up the teams to make it more fair.

I still don't get why ppl dont want me to finish, cause if they shout on the losing team dont finish, i kinda purposely rape them hard rolleyes.gif

(in the few games i play)

Hi, Scorpio! Nice to see you there smile.gif

Yeah, that old base-storming problem occurred yesterday, once more. We were playing against a very good NOLFer under alias (was it Az, maybe?) who spent his time rapin', making all other peeps leave one by one because the game got really boring.

Damn, what's the fun starting a game with 9 other players, and ending up with only 3?

The more pathetic thing's that we -the other team- managed to complete the device 3 or 4 times anyway, because he didn't help his mates at all. If one guy went straight to the enemy base and grabbed the parts, done, game over, since their best fighter was soooo busy, and having soooo much fun 'storming' our base meanwhile...

On the other hand, Jacques and I went to play TDM a bit, and that was quite refreshing. We met a cool member of TNT (Diablo something, I don't remember exactly, sorry) who showed us a lot of cool tricks. So, I'm wondering where's all the fun of the good old days gone in DD? sad.gif

Basically here's what I do...

If the game starts and our team is ready to end within 3 minutes, I don't place and normally will ask my team not too as well. I prefer to give the team one chance to win it back. If they do and we manage to get the piece back again then I end. This time it's their own fault for not learning from their mistakes. If it's a while into the game and we get the piece, I'll normally end it. If I feel it's a damn good game and don't want to place I will ask the team what to do and go on that decision.

Also knowing a team isn't going to place takes out some of the fun. A lot of the time I find myself making a final dash for the piece. A complete, must be out of my mind, suicide run (true this is my normal style of play anyway tongue.gif). When I know the team is going to place at any second, it gets the adrenalin pumping. If I know they are simply going to drop the thing, I tend to take my time more and that's less fun.

On the point about the DM thing. I think I'm going to start rotating my games, getting some more DM and TDM in.

Also knowing a team isn't going to place takes out some of the fun.  A lot of the time I find myself making a final dash for the piece.  A complete, must be out of my mind, suicide run (true this is my normal style of play anyway tongue.gif).  When I know the team is going to place at any second, it gets the adrenalin pumping. 

1702[/snapback]

nothin like a last second headshot just before the ***** can place that last piece laugh.gif

thats btw part of the decision to concentrate myself on cod in stead of nolf2, all the whiners that dont wanna end unsure.gif

Just tell me when you play DM da Leesy! I'll be happy to kick your butt smile.gif

As I said ending so fast i really boring.

Today to try how it's funny to end fast, I ended like 4 consecutive times with score like this

screenshot619tk.th.jpguser posted image

Siberia + Japan

I've been called :

Hypocrite by a co-leader of a clan division

Noobs ... by others

I don't really care about insults, but I haven't had fun by endind that fast. My team wasn't base rapping, so Red team would have had a chance to win. It has ruined all fun.

(+) I think It's the Majority who really likes playing long time, that gave me that feeling

This is true right here. Dragging all the games out for 20 minutes almost always ends in unfair teams and base storming. Which SUCKS.

If everyone worked together and made an effort to keep the teams fair at most times, games could be 20 minutes long because it was a tight and fair fight! Imagine that, in stead of these dreary 20 minute base camping feasts where the only ones truly happy (I should hope, so someone enjoys the game) are the skilled sukkas who pushed their top score a few points higher.

I do remember a time when people rushed for the core in the public servers, and felt that was an important part of the game. Seems a while ago, but after all these compelling arguments on both sides I still feel as though DoomsDay needs to be pushed back on track.

Well.....

DDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!

Some people don't want it to end soon. They are having fun playing it, while other people aren't because they are losing and wants to start a new game so they can try to win. Those people who are not yet Good at NOLF2, needs the time to play it. I don't think they would want to look at the Loading screen every time they look up.

Some cases are necessary to End the piece fast, such as: Continuous Base storming.

If you were having a lot of fun in your Favorite map, and you were owning, and someone Ended it randomly when you still have 10 minutes left, You wouldn't be upset? OF COURSE YOU WON'T. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THE GAME, ISN'T IT???

No.

That would absolutely piss me off. I don't care if that's the purpose of the game, If i'm having fun, and everyone else if having fun, don't end the freakin game. WHo cares if that's what your suppose to do. Screw it. Just because it says that in the Handbook, and people say that's what your suppose to do, doesn't mean you have to do it.

You're probably thinking to yourself, why don't you just go to DM or TDM if you don't like the game ended fast?, I happen to not like the Maps in those Areas. They suck. DM - That requires no Team Work. TDM - I like to revive, and there is no good Servers.

The Base storming: It is your own fault if you get based raped, you weren't protecting your base, and you deserve to get killed. But not for 20 minutes of course. Not for 15. Not for 10. No one wants to get based raped for a long time, some do, some like the hardness of it. Making the effort to get out and kill them all is what makes you become a better player.

Each game should be balanced to have less Base Rapes...

Personally I like it if someone would ask THE question:

Should I end?

The person should end it if the Majority of the people say so. I believe that's Fair. Just ending it because that's how you are suppose to play it, would piss off the people who like Good long Games.

If you don't like to spend 20 minutes on a Map, I believe that's a Personal Problem.

To end or not to end the Game depends on what is Happening through-out the game.

Hey all I haven't played in a while b/c I'm having computer issues. I had to reply to this topic though. I agree w/Mari. The point of DD is to gather the pieces and complete the machine. I've seen many games LOST by the team which had two of the pieces b/c someone was running around w/ the third and the opposing team came back and won. It's very frustrating. Usually if its a good game and the teams are evenly matched the game continues until the timelimit is reached. Just thought I'd put my two cents in.

Hopefully I'll be back playing soon.

i dunno...i think it would be fun to go play a TDM server...

except we have to have it running maps like calcutta and stuff...

u can throw sum DM maps in there of course...but if we were gonna hop to TDM...we would want maps we r comfortable with

why do we have to switch to a TDM server just to play DD maps. why dont we just save e1 the trouble of switching gametypes and just play DD without pieces?

as far as these whole debacle goes for when to end and when not to, i dont think we'll ever come up with a resolute answer. everything has to be assessed on a conditional basis. of course it makes sense to end the map if you're in a match against a clan, you'd be stupid not to. however, during recreational play, its just for fun and practice. sure, base storming gets old and tacky, but sometimes the other team wants a chance to redeem themselves. sometimes by a fluke the other team infiltrates the base and steals the piece. why would you want to end if the other team could easily regroup and come at you again. you'd just be ending the game prematurely.

i think the best way we go about this is to just ask everyone present in the server who wants what. majority rules. i know you guys think that of course the team base storming wont want to end, but sometimes there are level-headed people on that team that do want to end, and sometimes there are people on the other team that dont want to end because they want to redeem themselves.

thats a nice answer blue...

i agree with u...i just would really like to see a full time TDM server up...

and this is a great opporunity...but i mean...usually when a team is gettin raped the will allow to end anywayz...and the team will...the only maps ppl stay storming on is antarctic and calcutta...

The whole reason why DD is fun is because the there is a common team task.....

to build the DoomsDay machine.......

If you take that away by "not ending" trying to "prolong the fun" you take away the fundamental reason your having fun!!

It's not complicated, the way I see it is that there are three simple guidlines :-

* The idea is to build the DD....thats it!

* Two well balanced teams fighting to get pieces, using all their teamwork and tactical skills to do it.

* If the above isn't happening, then balance the teams, switch and make 'em even........ simple ain't it!

The whole reason why DD is fun is because the there is a common team task.....

to build the DoomsDay machine.......

If you take that away by "not ending" trying to "prolong the fun" you take away the fundamental reason your having fun!!

It's not complicated, the way I see it is that there are three simple guidlines :-

* The idea is to build the DD....thats it!

* Two well balanced teams fighting to get pieces, using all their teamwork and tactical skills to do it.

* If the above isn't happening, then balance the teams, switch and make 'em even........ simple ain't it!

1975[/snapback]

Well Put Onyx hunter.gif