Sound issues with Nolf1

Hello, I have a problem with dialogue being cut off mid-sentence in Nolf1. After checking the "Nolf1 known issues" section I have updated my sound card driver (don't know how to check for conflicts) and the problem is still there. I've tried messing around with the sound settings and the problem is still there. Any ideas?

I have a SoundMax card on an HP Pavilion ZT3330EA notebook with XP, Service Pack 2 running. Can't think of anything more to say but if anyone could give me a hand I'd appreciate it, these issues are reducing the fun quite a bit as I can't keep up with the fun lines. Thanks!

Here's how to check for conflicts. Go to the config panel, and click "system", "hardware", then "peripherals". In the list, you should see something that looks like "audio, video and game controlers". Click it, you should find your sound card listed there.

Now, click its "properties", and if there is a conflict, the sound card's icon should be highlighted with a small "!" or something like that. Windows might offer you, in a sub-menu, to try to correct current hardware conflicts on your sound card, and give you a few clues about what happened. Try this, it MIGHT work, sometimes. Otherwise, copy the error message, and paste it in Google...

• 11 months later...

Heyo!

I'll reinstall Nolf1 soon I think, and prolly will know more about the problem then (though I didn't have it when I first played). One more thing you could try: disable the hardware sound acceleration.

Way to do it: (Windows XP)

Start->Run-> type: "dxdiag", this should start the Directx diagnosis program

Click on Tab: "Sound"

Me gots it all dubbed (=in German) but it should say something like: "DirectX-Function" and below that "Settings for Sound Hardware acceleration". There should be a slider...move it completely to the left (should say: no hardware acceleration then). In the unlikely case that this should work, you can move it gradually to the right until the problem reoccurs (and then set the slider back one to the left :P ).

It's a suboptimal solution but well...

In case the dxdiag proggi isn't found, you can start it via: Accessories -> System Programs -> start "System Information". In the System Information program click the "Extras" menu and you should see Directx Diagnosis also.

Somehow this setting can also be accessed via the Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio or so but I'm unable to translate all the words (=too lazy). Everything å?

If that all dun works, you could try the WMFDist.exe codec. I got it from Spawnie but I don't know much about it other that it helped with my NOLF2 sound lagging issues (at least a bit).

Ah and by the way: Right!

Å! Can't believe you explained three different ways of entering dxdiag... Haven't much faith in the Spaxx' über techie skillz :arcadefreak: do ya?

Seriously, thanks for trying - but the slider and the codec from Mr. Space Otter (thank you too!) both made no difference with the problem. Will attempt a reinstallation after cleaning the registry, which apparently has helped others. *Crossing fingers*

Å! Can't believe you explained three different ways of entering dxdiag...

Yeah sorry, really couldn't find any more. But technically the third way is the "regular" one and won't lead to directx. Still MS really hid away the darn dxdiag proggie one must admit.

[...] Mr. Space Otter[...]

Will attempt a reinstallation after cleaning the registry, which apparently has helped others. *Crossing fingers*

WHAT'S A SPACE OTTER????!.!!!i!i!.!

Well, good luck then. Otherwise you'll miss most of the Nolf1 experience. Perhaps somebody can capture the vids and send them to you. :D

And you prolly don't want to hear it, but you should think about updating your graphics card driver also. May very well be the problem.

Yeah sorry, really couldn't find any more. But technically the third way is the "regular" one and won't lead to directx. Still MS really hid away the darn dxdiag proggie one must admit.

WHAT'S A SPACE OTTER????!.!!!i!i!.!

Well, good luck then. Otherwise you'll miss most of the Nolf1 experience. Perhaps somebody can capture the vids and send them to you. :D

And you prolly don't want to hear it, but you should think about updating your graphics card driver also. May very well be the problem.

IPB Image

They say a picture says more than a thousand words... Vwa là le Space Otter.

I read somewhere that these truncations might be related to too high a framerate(!.!i) and that others have reduced the problem by turning up AA and AF (=huh?). Is this connection even possible? And in any case where are those settings adjusted? (Expecting at least 3 different routes on this one as well, plus detailed info on how to use the setting once I get there :) )

My graphics card drivers should deffo be updated, but as the newest ATI drivers keep Nolf crashing (icky yucky) every other week, and the newest Omega drivers for whatever reason completely black my screen out, I'm stuck with a suboptimal solution indeed, last year's Omega drivers. :(

I read somewhere that these truncations might be related to too high a framerate(!.!i) and that others have reduced the problem by turning up AA and AF (=huh?). Is this connection even possible? And in any case where are those settings adjusted? (Expecting at least 3 different routes on this one as well, plus detailed info on how to use the setting once I get there :) )

My graphics card drivers should deffo be updated, but as the newest ATI drivers keep Nolf crashing (icky yucky) every other week, and the newest Omega drivers for whatever reason completely black my screen out, I'm stuck with a suboptimal solution indeed, last year's Omega drivers. :(

OMG SPACEOTTERS! Swimming in Norwegian fjords I assume?

If you ask me for my technical opinion (and you know it's the only one you can get) then I'd say it's possible to be a frame rate problem, IF the work was done improperly.

Well turn up AA(i believe anti-aliasing?) and AF (anisotropic filtering?) in your graphics card settings! Simply set your graca settings the highest (triple buffering, whatever), that should reduce the framerate (but for ole nolf1 prolly just a bit).

OMG SPACEOTTERS! Swimming in Norwegian fjords I assume?

If you ask me for my technical opinion (and you know it's the only one you can get) then I'd say it's possible to be a frame rate problem, IF the work was done improperly.

Well turn up AA(i believe anti-aliasing?) and AF (anisotropic filtering?) in your graphics card settings! Simply set your graca settings the highest (triple buffering, whatever), that should reduce the framerate (but for ole nolf1 prolly just a bit).

I've concidered AA myself :P

The solution:

1. find a tall building with roof access..

2. carry the computer up to the top

3. place the computer on the egde of the roof

4. kick it

5. regret 1 - 4

Well.. maybe not a good solution after all :huh:

Alexa could be on to something though,

but nolf2 would most likely run worse than nolf1 if it was the graphiccard/drivers...

but you never know :)

and.. Spaceotters are located all over the country, not only in the fjords :)

Spaceotters, swimming around the majestic fjords in the summertime and frolicking in the snowy mountains during the winter! When they get into the city, problems abound tho. We got an infestation in our basement last fall! Not good. The hairballs we found down there was the stuff horror movies are made of!

Spawn I'm gonna wait a few days with your solution if you don't mind. Need get my kicking leg back in shape and so on, y'know. :)

Wah, I'm not finding any controls for anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Then again, I can't see a big difference setting all other stuff to the highest leve, anyway. In any case... Speed reading the subtitles of the video clips keeps me very nearly ajour with the storyline, so unless you enjoy the challenge (further attempts to help are more than welcome), I thank thee both for your attempts to help and surrender to teh evils of technology. :arcadefreak:

Spaceotters, swimming around the majestic fjords in the summertime and frolicking in the snowy mountains during the winter! When they get into the city, problems abound tho. We got an infestation in our basement last fall! Not good. The hairballs we found down there was the stuff horror movies are made of!

Get a cat. Not a male cat, since it might want to mate with da Otter, but a female kitty, that's the real Otter-Ex. I got 10 years of Otter removal experience, just trust me! And learn weaving and sell genuine Otterfur blankets!

Then again, I can't see a big difference setting all other stuff to the highest leve, anyway.

Yeah thought so. Shouldn't make a big difference for the low-tech Nolf1. :(

Next try: Assume it's the graphics card actually and NOT the sound card, then you could:

Deactivate display hardware acceleration.

- Open dxdiag (plz read above, I've already written how to do this, PM me if you fail there)

- Tab "Display" or so

- Deactivate Direct Draw, Direct3D and whatever is next (AGP-Surfaceacceleration in German).

Game should run slower (well, if that is what you want :D ).

Well try this:

1. Before you start your computer, open Windows

2. Throw Laptop out of it, try to avoid hitting an Otter (or you'll be in serious animalcrazy-whacko-trouble)

3. Eat some Pizza. Then repeat 3.

Get a cat. Not a male cat, since it might want to mate with da Otter, but a female kitty, that's the real Otter-Ex. I got 10 years of Otter removal experience, just trust me! And learn weaving and sell genuine Otterfur blankets!

Yeah thought so. Shouldn't make a big difference for the low-tech Nolf1. :(

Next try: Assume it's the graphics card actually and NOT the sound card, then you could:

Deactivate display hardware acceleration.

- Open dxdiag (plz read above, I've already written how to do this, PM me if you fail there)

- Tab "Display" or so

- Deactivate Direct Draw, Direct3D and whatever is next (AGP-Surfaceacceleration in German).

Game should run slower (well, if that is what you want :D ).

Well try this:

1. Before you start your computer, open Windows

2. Throw Laptop out of it, try to avoid hitting an Otter (or you'll be in serious animalcrazy-whacko-trouble)

3. Eat some Pizza. Then repeat 3.

As long as it doesn't explode when I try to pat it, I do want a cat. I'll trust you on this, despite the accent. Do tell me how the kitty keeps da Otter away, though? Do I even wanna know?

So... The game wouldn't start while Direct Draw was deactivated, but deactivating either or both of the other two, helped some (especially with the longer video clips). Still truncates though :(. However this seems to reinforce the idea that the problem isn't really about sound, but about video.

*repeats step 3*

As long as it doesn't explode when I try to pat it, I do want a cat. I'll trust you on this, despite the accent. Do tell me how the kitty keeps da Otter away, though? Do I even wanna know?

Most cats explode when you pat them, sooner or later. Get used to it (I got a few nice scratches in the past, even in the eye). Well kitty->predator, Otter->marten. No kitty would allow another animal with such a tail in it's general area, I assure ya.

*repeats step 3*

Always a good idea to repeat step 3.

Is it possible to UNDERclock your graca with the omega drivers? Or perhaps it's possible to tweak settings in Nolf1. I'll check that soon...not too soon though.

Most cats explode when you pat them, sooner or later. Get used to it (I got a few nice scratches in the past, even in the eye). Well kitty->predator, Otter->marten. No kitty would allow another animal with such a tail in it's general area, I assure ya.

Always a good idea to repeat step 3.

Is it possible to UNDERclock your graca with the omega drivers? Or perhaps it's possible to tweak settings in Nolf1. I'll check that soon...not too soon though.

The kitty blows up the otter :unsure:

Unless there's a Amod involved of course...

Mmmmmm.. step 3 :D:P

Could right click your nolf 1 icon go to properties then compatibility and try in win 98 mode or something too.

Not to distract from the "otter" discussion :P

Could right click your nolf 1 icon go to properties then compatibility and try in win 98 mode or something too.

Not to distract from the "otter" discussion :P

Not at all... I think we're all thankful someone did distract from the otter discussion ;) .

Anyhoo no worky for compatibility mode.

No underclocking! And more pizza. Plus a kitty cat :).

Not at all... I think we're all thankful someone did distract from the otter discussion ;) .

Anyhoo no worky for compatibility mode.

No underclocking! And more pizza. Plus a kitty cat :).

What are you hardware specs for video card and sound card?

Well! I got:

- Radeon Mobility 9000 card (but with a 9200 chip, whatever difference that makes)

- 64 MB

- 512 MB ram

- 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor

- What else? Dunno.

Soundcard is still a SoundMax Digital Audio. Can't find any interesting specs atm... But if you need something specific let me know.

make and model of the laptop? NVM see it above the otter chat

GO here and make sure your drivers are all up to date

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...t=465230&os=228

also make sure you have direct X 9c installed as well

Well! I got:

- Radeon Mobility 9000 card (but with a 9200 chip, whatever difference that makes)

- 64 MB

- 512 MB ram

- 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor

- What else? Dunno.

Soundcard is still a SoundMax Digital Audio. Can't find any interesting specs atm... But if you need something specific let me know.

The soundmax chip shouldn't have any trouble with nolf1 as far as I know :)

I'm starting to think that Alexa might be right about the graphiccard.. I used to have a

Hercules Prophet 9200 earlier, and that card had issues with Nolf1 and some other games,

but I don't exactly remember what the problem was :huh:

My tip would be.. (wild guess) try the original graphiccard drivers and see what happens :)

(you updated those didn't you?)

oh.. 2 weeks left now until the kitty moves in here :) yayy!

also make sure you have direct X 9c installed as well

I norwegian: Rett vest 9C :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have DirectX 9.0c my soundcard works blah blah blah

Sound in NOLF1 worked too :huh:

But as I started NOLF1 today I couldn't hear any sound whatsoever :o:(

Maybe it's because I installed the NOLF1 Tools?! :blink:

Edit:

OMG I found the error: I simply had to restart the Windows Audio Service o0

Maybe this can help you Spacko:

[...] My problem was that during the cutscenes, all the dialogue would be cut off short. It seemed to me that the scenes were panning by too quickly. The solution (for ME, anyway) was to go into my system's display options and turn on VSYNC for Direct 3D. Pretty simple, eh? It seems to have solved the problem but I haven't played through a whole lot to tell. The intro scenes are working perfectly though, and I'm guessing it may also help with some mouse skipping issues I had because it might've been running too fast. [...]

IPB Image

Maybe he was only talking about the videos I don't know :unsure:

Thanks Sasser! Truth to be told I've finished the SP now and uninstalled the game, but I'm sure I'll need this topic again next time. And btw I did catch 99% of the dialogue in the end. The subtitles saved the day as usual (why would anyone want dubbing when they can have subtitles!).

Think Sass idea is not bad, but e.g. my ATI Control panel doesn't have such an option.

As for the dubbing, best thing since ah you know...eyes for screen, ears for text. Why not braille titles? Tsts silly spaceotters...