Still Loving NOLF!

Belladonna

Instead of the typical 'NOLF is dying' topic, I felt like posting about how much I still love the gaming series and always will. NOLF1, even though I rarely play it, was a life changing game for me. It pulled me into the world of online multiplayer and I've been addicted ever since. NOLF2 came along and made that world even better. No other online game is as funny, imaginative, unique, brightly colored or as great all around as NOLF1 and 2. Contract JACK was a let down somewhat, but it's still a good game and with the jetpack from the Pegasus Mod it's a whole lot more fun.

I was looking at Gamespot today, and checked out the ranking of all time best FPS games on the PC. NOLF2 and 1 take the number 5 and 6 spots on that list. Not too shabby, eh?

So instead of griping about less people playing or weapons that you don't like or why one game is better than the others, lets hear some positive comments about any of the three games and why you like them. :D

Amen and we'll be here and hosting servers as long as people are still playing B)B)

Basically we're not going to let this community down. All for one and one for all !! ;)

Keep on playing :hunter::duel::fal::uzi:

In my estimation they should have taken the 1 and 2 spots! Granted, my experience in the FPS world is limited. But how many other games give you the opportunity to shoot a "Winged Fat Opera Singer" or a Smeegle looking Pakistani looking fellow.........................Not to mention the GREAT maps. I mean, C'mon! Both Nolf games are the best "Tongue in Cheek" games you can play. And what really surprises me is that I haven't seen a single Hazardous to your Health Warning on either of these Games. :)

I haven't played any other online game (well, OK, except maybe euchre, or something!)

more than once or twice. And I've purchased many of the major online games! From the original CS to COD to HL2, I've never been impressed. I bought NOLF2 (never having heard of the original) based on a Maximum PC magazine rave review. I played the single player through and thought I had my money's worth. I was an early purchaser, so the only online mode available at that time was coop. Luckily, the developers put that "message of the day" feature in and that alerted me to the patches that enabled the more entertaining online modes. Totally out of character for me, I decided to give it a shot (I was such an online playing n00b that my name was "Kill Me Now" for the first several months). I have (obviously!) been hooked ever since! The game, of course, is wonderful, but the thing that's kept me playing is the *community* behind it. I've never *ever* even struck up a conversation with a player in another game. With this game, I'm torn every day betweein wanting to play the game and wanting to chat with all the friends I've made! Which leads to the obvious question: Did something inherent in the game draw the excellent community members to it, or do the excellent community members make it an awesome game?

Edited by [GD]Independent

Thanks Indy.........................I never knew you thought of me as Excellent :) I do try to provide the best of my playing abilities (average player) with good manners and a clean cut wholesomeness...............Are you gagging yet :). But YES, I have to agree, The Nolf community by far is one of the best I have EVER seen. I would have to name all the Nolfers I'd ever met if I were to make a list of my favorite people. YES, even you Knix........

Nolf1 was my first online game. I played it with modem...wooot

the characters appears here and there and i laughed a lot and hit nothing.

but i never laughed loud before in a PC-game!!! :lol:

Then i saw Nolf2 in a shop and thought:

more Nolf more fun....and i was right

More and more i grew in...in a fantastic community with

fantastic people...so much different characters...

all loving the same game...around the whole world...

The gameplay and the people in the game still make

me laughing and my wife and my daughters looking

strange at me if i grin to the screen like an idiot :D

A big action-chatroom..I love it...and u all :)

:) I thought I'd add my two cents in even though I don't play the games anymore (due to computer issues). I bought NOLF GOTY edition and was hooked almost from the get go. Once I finished I tried the MP, first time I'd ever done that. I found that all the players were very helpful and fun to play with. I waited anxiously for NOLF2 to come out and bought it like the first day it hit the shelves. It took my longer to finish the SP player in this one (all those annoying sneaking around missions. LOL). Then I went onto to MP and found my niche. Quick2's server was one I remember most, him and Fembot. I had a ton of great games mostly laughing my a$$ off the whole time. For the past year I've been playing SOF2 but I still haven't found the kind of nice, helpful players who I found in the NOLF series. I still think these are the best FPS games I've played. Thanks NOLF for all of the great memories.

:) I thought I'd add my two cents in even though I don't play the games anymore (due to computer issues). I bought NOLF GOTY edition and was hooked almost from the get go. Once I finished I tried the MP, first time I'd ever done that. I found that all the players were very helpful and fun to play with. I waited anxiously for NOLF2 to come out and bought it like the first day it hit the shelves. It took my longer to finish the SP player in this one (all those annoying sneaking around missions. LOL). Then I went onto to MP and found my niche. Quick2's server was one I remember most, him and Fembot. I had a ton of great games mostly laughing my a$$ off the whole time. For the past year I've been playing SOF2 but I still haven't found the kind of nice, helpful players who I found in the NOLF series. I still think these are the best FPS games I've played. Thanks NOLF for all of the great memories.

What kind of issues is it something I could assist you in resolving?

What kind of issues is it something I could assist you in resolving?

Whenever I play NOLF2 my computer just shuts down in the middle of a game. I need to rebuild the hard-drive apparently and I'm way to lazy for that cause then I have to reinstall everything. So I just choose to deal with it and not be able to play NOLF2. Thanks for the offer though.

Fembot and Quick2... now you have taken me back. Thanks! I remember them. Remember Nemesispica? Yikes! Prepare to be pwned! And remember when everyone's name was "Your something-or-other?" The old days were great but when most other games are either hax'd up or just plain lame, the present days are even better because of the players that are still Nolfing! Just as the early greats of the game get their credit I would like to credit the people who have stuck with this game. They deserve to be mentioned in a video or something. Maybe I'll make one. Ha ha ha!

I got into computers because of my job. Eventually I realized that computers are more important than world peace and set about discovering all that they could do. I used some VJ'ing live graphics generating programs, did some crude image editing, some advanced audio editing and restoration and from there I got into video editing with Adobe Premiere. Finally, I got around to discovering PC gaming. Had I thought that it had much to offer, I would have jumped on this aspect of computer usage sooner. The only thing I have been into longer and more consistently than video games is Christianity. (To be candid, I spend more energy on video games presently) So what did I buy? Attack Sub 668 or whatever it was called. It was bad. REAL bad. It was not anything like what I imagine life under the seas to be like. Then I was in Toys 'R Us getting the toy du jour for the world's most gorgeous male specimen when I saw an interesting game on the shelf. I looked at the little gameplay pictures on the back and they (being spy-themed) reminded me of the "007 The World Is Not Enough" game for playstation that I had recently pwned up one side and down the other. (Before I knew they called it pwning) HA HA HA!!! And so I bought it. I finished the single player and then tried the multiplayer (the start of a tradition) and I was blown AWAY by the fact that I could text chat with other people playing the game in other parts of the world. Then I had my first encounter with an unfriendly player that teamkilled in co-op and I fought back. Conflicting with another gamer in such a realistic game environment for the first time left my heart racing and I guess that is when I got hooked! Later, I went into Doomsday, got incorporated as a mop into various floor wiping activities and joined the fight for survival. As I became aware of other games, I bought them. Ravenshield, Command and Conquer Renegade, Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater, Tron 2.0, Far Cry, UT2004, Contract J.A.C.K., Need For Speed Underground, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Half-Life2, SWAT 4 and finally F.E.A.R! I find things wrong with all of those games but not Nolf2. The only problem I have with Nolf2 is that I just can't play it for a long time all the time the way I used to. I get bored more easily with it now but I have to acknowledge the greatness of it's design. I tried all of those other games thinking Nolf2 could be improved upon, but overall, I don't think it has been truly beat yet. There is a tremendous amount of weapons balance and options for creative playing in the game. Powerups add a lot strategizing to the gameplay. People whine about phos and rockets but look at a map like Japan or Calcutta where the game OFTEN goes from one team basestorming to the OTHER team basestorming in the same round. Revenge is sweet and so is Nolf2. Add to that the community and what compares to it? Good topic!

Whenever I play NOLF2 my computer just shuts down in the middle of a game. I need to rebuild the hard-drive apparently and I'm way to lazy for that cause then I have to reinstall everything. So I just choose to deal with it and not be able to play NOLF2. Thanks for the offer though.

hmmmm almost sounds like a issue with your power supply (sudden shutdown) I bet it happens during intense hardware use.

Oh oh oh! Maria this happened to me too - especially in the boiling summer of Montpellier. Perhaps you even live somewhere hot and nice? Cuz for me this was an issue of my CPU fan - I changed that and I got my Nolf2 back. Overheating is nasty stuff but if it's just a fan failing you this could be fixed in no time.

Love the story, Phant! I second what Indy said about the game being fantastic and entertaining, but the community is why I stay. I'm sure other games have great folks playing them, but here good people actually make up the vast majority of the players. How awesome is that! Also I think that whole affair with Canada a few weeks ago showed something; we may fight like cats and dogs and have very opinionated discussions internally, but when outsiders are unjustly attacking the community or its members, we stick up for each other, stand together and show them the door. Just like we did back in TGF! I liked that and as long as we stick together, Nolf2 will remain strong.

• 7 months later...

I love Nolf, I played both Nolf 1 and 2 and both of them are great, awesome, superrior, dominating, breathtaking, daymaking games. The story line is touching, and characters are cool and funny. I like the weapons selection, and the gadgets. I love the exotic locations, numbers of missions (espiacial in nolf 1). Sometimes I even sitdown in quet and alone and think how cool it would be if Nolf came back with new sequals (Kind off makes you think, Ha?!?). I love Nolf and theres thousands maybe millions others do I'm sure. Why, Nolf series is so great on every gaming website you go and look at the score, and those scores are sky high, and the comments like "Nolf is going gold" is very common about that game. I love Nolf and I really want it to comeback, because No One Lives Forever will always live in our hearts! Thers no other games like Nolf trust me. Cheers to Nolf a great award winning game. :blush:

PS. I didn't include Contract Jack, because it ruined Nolf community, first time I thought it was cool but, it has rediculously low score and bad comments. :angry:

PPS. Dear Bella If brought lots of people to this web would it benefit of restore Nolf series? If it will the how many the least people we need? Cause I could go to other forums and sponsor this web! Or is there a another way we could help? Can you guys take some VIP that benefits this web, and previusly benefited Nolf series ( like the person who designed the game or edited it or etc. or high rank in sierra or Monolith) and send him to Sierra or other developers and convince them to make new Nolf even thought its bankrupted? My Ideas may not be bright but, do you have any Ideas? :thumb:

Just convince new people to play the game, Nightfire. Bringing people to these forums would be nice, but it's new players we need most. I don't have any real suggestions on how to get a NOLF3 started and I don't have any connections to anyone involved with the game. Personally, I'm concentrating more on keeping the players we have from leaving because I don't want to see this game's online presence disappear.

I guess that explains why you guys are concentraiting on Nolf 1.4 patch, keep up the good work! But what if more people started bying Nolf series, will that benefit?

I guess that explains why you guys are concentraiting on Nolf 1.4 patch, keep up the good work! But what if more people started bying Nolf series, will that benefit?

Only way that would benefit would be if Sierra/VU were still making the discs. If you buy the game from Ebay, Amazon etc most likely the copies are used ones and the game maker doesn't make a proffit on them at this point.

• 7 months later...

Personally, I'm concentrating more on keeping the players we have from leaving because I don't want to see this game's online presence disappear.

Amen, sister. Just looking around some of these old posts makes me realize just how many NOLFers have moved on:

http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/inde...?showtopic=1065

More than half of those nominees don't even play anymore. :'(

I took a look at that gamespot list and yea it's impressive

Take a look at this one too: Top rated PC games of all time

Both games rated pretty nice there..

Why nolf is losing players is because the mp is a bit to what do u say... complicated, not as easy as real online fps games that was meant to be huge online

Sierra got some stuff to learn there imo..

Still love the game tho and theres still loads of us that do :D

NOLF was one of the first computer games I played (after KEEN :P ) and I played alll single player together with my twinbrother :)

My brother bought NOLF2 for my birthday last year january and since then, Im totally addicted :) I met Celly and had (and still have) MUCH fun :) Keep playing NOLF2 :D Its the best game there will ever be!

I took a look at that gamespot list and yea it's impressive

Take a look at this one too: Top rated PC games of all time

Both games rated pretty nice there..

Why nolf is losing players is because the mp is a bit to what do u say... complicated, not as easy as real online fps games that was meant to be huge online

Sierra got some stuff to learn there imo..

Still love the game tho and theres still loads of us that do :D

Maybe the "problem" is that the people who give it a try love but in the first place, it might look a little weird if you're only used to stuff like HL, CS, WC and so on...

• 2 months later...

I just this year played NOLF 2 for the first time and thought it was fantastic. The game was a great combination of action, humor and varied locales with a solid storyline. I wish I played it when was first released.