crashing to desktop

hello everyone. if you haven't noticed it usually takes me 4 or 5 tries to enter a server. i get the following error everytime. can someone tell me what this means and is there a way to resolve it? i appreciate the help.

IPB Image

Edited by Lodingi

You have to wait until you are in a server before turning your hax on, that's all. (KIDDING) Sometimes that happens on my system too on other games and then sometimes I have no problems at all. When it does happen though, I have found that it persists until I reboot. Once I reboot, I usually get in first try. As for the real reason, I blame Bill Gates.

Also check some of the things running there in your system tray. First rule of troubleshooting is to turn off all the extras and try to reproduce the error.

thanks for the responses. i have tried all the touble shooting tips (i.e. shutting down services) to no avail. i do think something in sp2 is the cause. i was hoping someone found a fix. guess i'll just deal with it. :(

thanks for the responses. i have tried all the touble shooting tips (i.e. shutting down services) to no avail. i do think something in sp2 is the cause. i was hoping someone found a fix. guess i'll just deal with it. :(

Yeah, SP2 really made the problem worse, though I don't have it nearly as bad as you seem to. If I had it half as bad as you do, I'd run a dual boot system, with one Windows base install just for gaming. Heck, you could even set up a Windows 98 install for it! You'd only need a couple of gigs to spare to do so.

Good luck!

Indy

I don't get a fancy code like you do, I just crash to the desktop. Usually I get in a server by the third try. Oddly enough, if I join a server without anyone in it, I almost never crash... it's just when I enter one with a bunch of people that it's cranky.

Umm... what is SP2? :huh:

Next time can you (and everyone else who's been posting huge images lately) provide a smaller image? It's one of my pet peeves to have to scroll side to side. There are size limits in the forum rules.

Service pack 2 for Windows XP

I have my doubts to that. I'd go with a setting issue (examples firewall anti-virus etc)

Service pack 2 was an accumilation of various patches and fixes to the OS. However being that Nolf 2 runs on Windows 98, 2000 and XP the actual OS isn't as critical say as the examples I mentioned above. Another possibility is if the Server is changing the map when you are connecting it can cause you to "time out" and generate a desktop crash. As it is the Lithtech.exe generating the error you can recopy it over from the CD in case it's become corrupted.

Lodi,

I get the EXACT same message fairly often too. In fact, it seems like it runs in spurts where I have the problem 3 or 4 times in a row while trying to connect (some times it last for a week or so). Then the next little while, no problem at all. I thought my 512mb was going bad so I replaced it with a gig and better chip set....still the same problem.

I have found that if I delete my temporary internet files and clean the disk on a monthly basis it seems to help. I thought it was just me having the problem!

I have never gotten that error message before, I just crash to the desktop. It happened often with Windows XP, much less often with Windows 2000 (which I am currently running) and I have never tried it with SP2, I stayed away from it. To me, this does indeed seem to implicate SP2 as a possible culprit. There was a large list of software titles that no longer worked properly or at all with an SP2 installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884130

I do not believe that NOLF 1 or 2 was on the list, but it's reasonable to assume that SP2 might be causing the problem. SP2 was much more than a collection of updates, Microsoft was very clear that some program compatibility would be broken, as well as some hardware compatibility from what I understand, with the notion that security was more important. Personally, I think that a PC 'not' running SP2 can be just as secure, as long as an experienced user is behind it.

• 5 weeks later...

I Get the message "Client MFC application...." but without the code, and when i statrt a new game on singleplayer. When it gets to the director cutscene (Cate Archer must Die) It crashes to the desktop. The game can play on multiplayer, but not on singleplayer. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

I Get the message "Client MFC application...." but without the code, and when i statrt a new game on singleplayer. When it gets to the director cutscene (Cate Archer must Die) It crashes to the desktop. The game can play on multiplayer, but not on singleplayer. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

This thread has a good troubleshooting guide for this behaviour also welcome to the unity forum.

Typically checking to see what is running on your PC via msconfig finds the problem.

http://www.unityhq.net/forums//forums/inde...indpost&p=18799

Another option (to troubleshoot it) is to run it on compatibility mode (right click the launching icon and select compatibility) then pick windows 2000 or 98se for example

I have the same troubles - most of us do I think... AND I tried some of the simple things like what RXS mentioned but, if I have been in a lot of programs recently, on MSN, etc. and then try to play....rebooting is the only thing that works for me and sometimes it takes a few boots. System tray empty and all. I do not think there is a 100% fix since I do also think this is a windows problem. Bill needs to get on the stick and fix it. I agree with Phant on the root of the prob.

I have the same troubles - most of us do I think... AND I tried some of the simple things like what RXS mentioned but, if I have been in a lot of programs recently, on MSN, etc. and then try to play....rebooting is the only thing that works for me and sometimes it takes a few boots. System tray empty and all. I do not think there is a 100% fix since I do also think this is a windows problem. Bill needs to get on the stick and fix it. I agree with Phant on the root of the prob.

run the troubleshooting in that link most likely some starts up with your PC that is causing the issue. msconfig will tell you what is running at bootup.