Nolf 2 Anti-Basestorm/Spawnkill Mod

I've made a Nolf 2 Mod which gives RESPAWNING players a "grace time" where they can be neither tagged nor killed in any way. Dangers, such as Bananas or Kittys are destroyed (triggered) when a player respawns, but the player isn't hurt or stunned (some fancy default animation is played, though). Nades, Nanas, Kittys, Glue etc. don't work for several seconds. The player can't be hurt by shooting him either. The player is able to grab a weapon and shoot, though.

Since I can't test spawnkilling/tagging myself too well, I need beta testers. And it is beta since I made this really quickly and I am sure there are bugs! The "grace time" is fairly high by now, I know that. It can be reduced to fit the needs. Also, the Mod just works for DoomsDay game mode. This is intended.

Note: There has already been a Invulnerability function in the code. At first I used their code for respw. Inv. but it DIDN'T work. I considered this a bug and made a hack which activates their code. This means at all places where the game makers wanted us to be invulnerable we are now (after what I have seen, it's the revive). So don't blame me for revive invulnerability if it should occur. Perhaps it should have already been there!?

I've experienced a faulty tagging animation when first being "spawn protected" and stepping on a nana and after that stepping on a nana without the protection..would be great if one could confirm this. Doesn't affect the gameplay anyway.

Problem: Tried to open an FileFront account but it somehow swallowed my registration. I'll try again later, so check back for a download link here.

****** The Beta version of Amod can be downloaded from UnityHQ: Link to the UnityHQ download section ******

Another Problem: I will be pretty busy the near future so I can't promise anything.

I'd love to hear if you think such a mod is needed and useful since it will affect the gameplay (e.g. will be pretty hard let the core respawn by storming).

I've made a Nolf 2 Mod which gives RESPAWNING players a "grace time" where they can be neither tagged nor killed in any way. Dangers, such as Bananas or Kittys are destroyed (triggered) when a player respawns, but the player isn't hurt or stunned (some fancy default animation is played, though). Nades, Nanas, Kittys, Glue etc. don't work for several seconds. The player can't be hurt by shooting him either. The player is able to grab a weapon and shoot, though.

Since I can't test spawnkilling/tagging myself too well, I need beta testers. And it is beta since I made this really quickly and I am sure there are bugs! The "grace time" is fairly high by now, I know that. It can be reduced to fit the needs. Also, the Mod just works for DoomsDay game mode. This is intended.

Note: There has already been a Invulnerability function in the code. At first I used their code for respw. Inv. but it DIDN'T work. I considered this a bug and made a hack which activates their code. This means at all places where the game makers wanted us to be invulnerable we are now (after what I have seen, it's the revive). So don't blame me for revive invulnerability if it should occur. Perhaps it should have already been there!?

I've experienced a faulty tagging animation when first being "spawn protected" and stepping on a nana and after that stepping on a nana without the protection..would be great if one could confirm this. Doesn't affect the gameplay anyway.

Problem: Don't know where to upload. Tried to open an FileFront account but it somehow swallowed my registration. I'll try again later, so check back for a download link here.

Another Problem: I will be pretty busy the near future so I can't promise anything.

I'd love to hear if you think such a mod is needed and useful since it will affect the gameplay (e.g. will be pretty hard let the core respawn by storming).

Maybe I could set you up with a testing server?

Let me know if you are interested.

Sounds pretty interesting, Alexa! I can't tell you how glad I am to hear people are still thinking and working on ways to keep NOLF fun for everyone. :D

Unity can host the file if you want. Contact me on MSN to talk about it - roboandlaura@hotmail.com

I'll put myself up for Beta testing if you need me Alexa - if you need me.

As for the idea - it's a great one. I was considering trying to make something like this myself a few months back but never got round to it :( I think it's a fair feature to add to the game - most games nowdays do give you a small amount of time to ready yourself.

I am worreid about the revive invulnerability though. I could to leapfrogging techniques to get into another base/

Guest Doffy90

Cool I wanna be a beta tester too.

You can get in touch with me on MSN

doffydude@hotmail.com

I got one question tho.

If we respawn and theres people there and they shot at us, we dont die because of a protection? but what if we shot them then? Do they die? Thats unfair IMO

Would be cool if we could have a temp server using the mod. And of course I need as many players as possible, in order to get a nice base storm. :P

Filefront really swallowed my Name + Email (=>can't repeat the registering) and I've gotten no response by now. Bella offered to host the mod DL at UnityHQ, hope we'll get this done by tonight. It's 7 pm here right now.

Didn't change the mod but tested it again alone. Seems to work fine, but that first banana tagging animation that goes wrong is a nuisance. :(

As for the leapfrogging, I wish to see Moody + Lodingi leapfrog towards my base while I shoot them with the launcher. At least the revive isn't tag-protected. But it will be no problem to remove the revive protection.

Jup, Doff! I couldn't test being shot (since I was alone on my server) but the protection is working for Tags and Kitty too. So it is bound to work for Nades and Gunfire. To prevent base storming, I think it's neccessary to let the defenders use their guns, but this could of course also be changed to just weapon pick-up if we feel that it's too unfair. The protection was originally ment to destroy spawn tags. Then I thought about near-spawn tags which annoy me and extended the protection time. Then I thought about kittys so I extended the time even more. Playtesting will be needed to find the balance. :D

The protection doesn't even have to be the same for all dangers. I could remove the health damage protection completely and just destroy the spawn tags for some time (thus, kittys would kill...). Or make the health damage protection shorter than the tag protection. Or just tag and Kitty protection. Of course, a more sophisticated behaviour needs more sophisticated programming...

It's unlikely things will be set up before your bedtime, Alexa. You need to move into my timezone, it's only coming up on 3:00pm here. :D

Setting up a server will have to wait for eliteone, which means quite a few more hours since she's west coast. Unless someone wants to host themselves? We'll get things going soon, though, no worries. It's not like the game is going to die before tomorrow. :P

Ah, now I have a question.

When you revive and tags are deactivated etc., are these just your enemies tags? Just making sure you don't set off your own tags in the invincible mode.

How long have you set the grace period to Alexa?

Ahhhh, thanks Bella!

The support request on the filefront page gave: 400 Bad Request! :rolleyes:

Good questions, Leesy. Both invincibilities are archieved by turning the damage off, so that the events are triggered, but do no damage (sleep, falling etc. are technically considered as damages in the engine). So not looking into the code right now I'd say your own tags are safe. ;) Additionally, I just tested the self-killing after respawn (shooting my own kitty). Not surprisingly does no damage.

For the exact grace period: no idea. I literally coded this over night, and the respawn timer is an object of the CTimer class. I'm not sure about this class, couldn't find docs about it (guess it's a C++ own class). In other words, I set a float value for the time to 3.0 or 5.0, not sure about this. Feels like it's 3 secs or so...

Sure, go ahead! Forgot that somebody could have the need to start Nolf that way, since the server list isn't overcrowded these days. :(

For testing, I should be able to spontaneously host a test sever, but this could be a problem. For hosting, I reckon I would have forward the Nolf ports, which is user-unfriendly thanks to my router.

Anybody able to confirm that the mod is at least running?

Hmmm, to support the use of the mod I'm thinking about including at least some of the fixes for known bugs, namely all but the wallhack-fix (which I consider as the most difficult to make).

Oh wow, if you could incorporate anything to prevent the various kinds of cheating into the mod that would be fantastic.

I'd personally host a server for you but I've never figured out how to make a server show up for the public. I did put the mod on and started up a game for myself and the computer didn't crash on regular or custom maps, so at least it runs. :D

I should have your test server up tonight Alexia. I was able to load your mod in the dedicated server settings. I'll post the info in here later tonight once I have it up. I like the one mod to fix all idea too B) I'd be willing to help you however I can to make that go forward :D

Thanks Elite!

I fear that we have to have one mod for all, since the mods quite definitely are mutually exclusive. This also means that one person has to have a development environment running, and would have to collect all the code and bring it together in one place (for our programmers, yes, it's your boss, the programming lead :lol: ).

There are tons of ideas I'm having. The question is does anybody (=>many) care about game modifications, since it's even hard to get peeps on custom map servers.

I'm trying, in the near future, to fix the biggest bugs. In fact, turning off the 3rd person view, preventing custom lean angles and the Detagging bug will be easy to fix once I get to know the code. I tried to fix the detag bug this noon, I know what to do but I need to know more about the whole game and the dependencies.

What about that one:

Turning Doomsday game mode into a sort of domination game. One part in the machine gives 1 score point per minute to the team, the core gives 2 score points. A finished device gives 6 or so. Of course the device can be disassembled again. That would get rid of the "don't ends", AND would lead to full use of the map.

What about that one:

Turning Doomsday game mode into a sort of domination game. One part in the machine gives 1 score point per minute to the team, the core gives 2 score points. A finished device gives 6 or so. Of course the device can be disassembled again. That would get rid of the "don't ends", AND would lead to full use of the map.

Ooooooo! What a fantastic idea! Alexa, where have you been all this time?? You're a genius! :D

Ah, well, I stole that one. Domination game mode is well known in UT. Of course, the frying of the opposing team is a vital part of the NOLF DD mode (sadly done too seldom nowadays). So I would have to leave the frying in the game. It would start shortly before timeout. :)

Hope this comes true in the near future! :wooo:

The Server is up and running in DM mode called UnityHQ mod test server.

Test connected to it (Thanks Bella) and made sure it was running

Tested it in with a DD dedicated server earlier (just myself switching teams, placing cats\tags lol). I think the invincibility period is a bit too long, but seems it can be totally helpful against spawn kills\tags. The weird slip camera view only happened once while playing.

btw Alexa, for turning off 3rd person view and fixing the sleeping sound bug, I'll send a you a PM...

Ah UT fun game B)

Yes, great game. I loved to play assault against bots. The train was my fav. And best behaving bots I've seen by that time!

The Server is up and running in DM mode called UnityHQ mod test server.

Test connected to it (Thanks Bella) and made sure it was running

Ahhh Elite! The anti-spawnkill functionality is limited to the DD game mode! Won't do a thing in DM.

Tested it in with a DD dedicated server earlier (just myself switching teams, placing cats\tags lol). I think the invincibility period is a bit too long, but seems it can be totally helpful against spawn kills\tags. The weird slip camera view only happened once while playing.

btw Alexa, for turning off 3rd person view and fixing the sleeping sound bug, I'll send a you a PM...

Thanks! Did you play on LAN? I've never experienced the nana-bug while having an internet-server running. Perhaps it's a LAN-server problem that was already there? Didn't check my PMs by now, am a bit busy.

Server is up ok, but alone I can't test anything. When we can meet to test it with few players?

Good question, I hope some of the usual suspects will take the time and join the server for a map or two this evening. The usual time for the "masses" of europeans is 18:00-21:00 GMT.

Great! Just joined the server. And LOL for the team naming! :lol:

One more thing: is friendly fire on? I tagged the heck out of the other base and got caught in my own tags. Just to clarify that this has quite definitly nothing do to with the mod. :)