BANDWIDTH

I have now tried, truly, at least two dozen times to download all 292 MB of the larger map pack from Unity HQ. EVERY TIME the transfer rate slowly decreases, stops, and then the operation times out. I am able to cancel and restart it, and SOMETIMES pick up where I left off. I just made it all the way up to 243 MB of 292. This is a new record. I am usually able to make it only to about 40 or so.

Why is it that these maps have been bundled together into such a large file? Could three bundles work as well? Lots of people are accessing this server at once, all of the time. With the games set up with so many custom maps now, many many people are trying to download this massive file.

Is there a mirror someplace of this file? Does it exist anyplace where the bandwidth is sufficient to the demand?

Frustrated.

Kep

The reason they are combined is the nolf games limitation on the amount of files in the custom resources folder. By grouping the maps together you can have more than one pack in your folder.

Sonic Goo' date='Nov 1 2005, 01:38 PM' post='17059']

If you use Firefox or a download manager/accelerator/whatever those things are called, you can pause your download and continue later.

I can't get it with either browser, and the resume feature in FF doesn't resume the download for me. The weird thing is that, once the download craps out, I lose ALL connectivity to all UnityHQ -- web and everything -- from both browsers! It comes back in ten minutes or so.

That's truely strange Kep and GD! I didn't have any problem while downlading from UnityHq. These problems sound like some sort of anti-leech mechanism, like prevention of downloading in too many sections, but I believe UHQ doesn't have that kind of thing. Also, I downloaded the latest mappack with 4 sections simultaneously.

I understand you already have a download manager sort of thingy, Kep, but I can only recommend Free Download Manager (which is embedded in my Firefox via the FlashGot extension). I had major problems with other DL managers, had often loads of bit errors. FDM is available here:

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org

I'd temporarly upload the map pack to another server but thanks to my provider I've got an 2x56k modem upload rate. :angry01:

Gee and I didn't even start this thread, E1 ;)

Nope you didn't ****Searches for the LEECHES still :P:P ****

Whew we don't have to worry about those over and the messages they make pop up :P

Ui, I really gave you a catchword there Elite, didn't I? :D

Now I'll go back to pretending I don't know nothing about nobody. I came to NOLF when all's been over anyway. And some threads are just locked and deleted so fast that you can't get popcorn and cola and sit back and enjoy the show before they're gone. :rolleyes:

Ui, I really gave you a catchword there Elite, didn't I? :D

Now I'll go back to pretending I don't know nothing about nobody. I came to NOLF when all's been over anyway. And some threads are just locked and deleted so fast that you can't get popcorn and cola and sit back and enjoy the show before they're gone. :rolleyes:

Not here ;) you will actually get to finish your popcorn and soda :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea.............anyone having trouble downloading it can get an invite to Gmail. I have a few left. The mappack can then be emailed to you. I can be reached at Belgaron@Gmail.com

Should be resolved now. Working on some mirror sites to for unityHQ files just in case cause no one deserves the Stop Leeching my bandwith dialogue ;)

Should be resolved now. Working on some mirror sites to for unityHQ files just in case cause no one deserves the Stop Leeching my bandwith dialogue ;)

I hosted the UnityHQ mappack on my file server in case you need more mirrors.

http://nolf.edgegaming.com/files/pafiledb....tion=file&id=11

Clicking on 'Download' will take you to the page to choose a server for downloading.

:D

SkiZZor' date='Nov 15 2005, 03:26 PM' post='17914']

I hosted the UnityHQ mappack on my file server in case you need more mirrors.

http://nolf.edgegaming.com/files/pafiledb....tion=file&id=11

Clicking on 'Download' will take you to the page to choose a server for downloading.

:D

I'm gonna sue !!!!!!! Kidding :P

thanks for hosting it too B)

Place it in your C:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2\Custom\Resources

silly :P and come play in the custom map server.

Thanks, SkiZZor! That was very helpful. I just added a PC for Jade to the Phant Phamily network and since some Nolfing relatives are coming down from Orlando for Thanksgiving, I wanted to get all the maps on all 4 PCs. My nephews are Sage and Off-Duty Ninja.

Place it in your C:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever 2\Custom\Resources

Thanks - I actually did need the reminder :rolleyes:

Of course then I had to figure out that *.7z was a different type of compressed file I didn't have utility for :D

I am all set now B)