65535 Server Pings

I was just on NOLF 2 DM and 15 of the 17 servers listed pings of 65535. These results were received

w/ and w/o my firewall connected. I got mixed results in Coop and DD. Can they all be running firewalls

(Including Eliteone!!!)? :huh:

Is there a good site for understanding servers?

I've seen them too. Long list of servers (one called Elite's place, locked), all pinged 65535. My best guess would be that this was again a Master Server issue, listing all servers that have been up recently (can't imagine that so many servers were up just today). Probably the Master Server didin't remove them from its list or so. And when it checked their pings, since they were no longer there: 65536 => max (no response). Anybody got other infos (by the way, finding the servers took quite long)?

I've been wondering about that. Seems awfully strange. I noticed one day a couple of them were in german, but how much that has to do with things I don't know. The Unity and SFI servers still work just fine, so I haven't been bothered enough to worry about it. That Elite's Place isn't eliteone's server, as far as I know.

usually that means it's a private computer set up as a server. it always shows a 65535 ping. when you enter the server it will show the true ping. i never understood why.

I've been wondering about that. Seems awfully strange. I noticed one day a couple of them were in german, but how much that has to do with things I don't know. The Unity and SFI servers still work just fine, so I haven't been bothered enough to worry about it. That Elite's Place isn't eliteone's server, as far as I know.

Actually Bella it is Seng's server. It's the one she builds your server configurations on.

Sometimes it seems that private computers just show 65535 ping, but I also often see the correct ping. Strange things are hidden in the NOLF2 netcode (and as far as I've heard also in the NOLF1 code). Because there were so many servers, I still suspect something irregular going on. Perhaps all the LAN sessions were shown with peeps just testing or playing in private (they enlist at the master I believe). Anyway I'd say it's time to panic!

15 Servers that are lagged? And there were a total of 17 Servers? Really? I've seen this before...What were the Server names? I know that one computer can host a Dedicated Server and a non-dedicated server for NOLF2, someone could be testing their Server, seeing if someone could go in (I used to have to do that).

I never bothered on clicking a server with 65535 ping since it's usually really laggy or is disconected.

Actually Bella it is Seng's server. It's the one she builds your server configurations on.

Now why'd you go and tell them that now I have to kill peeps :P

I have a pretty good knowledge about running nolf games series servers and I'd be happy to help anyone who has questions.

*gasp* I wasn't aware of something? But.. but.. everyone says we're joined at the hip, eliteone. How can that be? lol! :hunter:

Most of those servers had the same or similar names, btw.

Yes almost everyone got the default name but the SFI practice server have 65535 as ping as well :S

I'm guessing the sierra master server wasn't clearing it's "cache" or the equvilant to that. See Doffy the SFI practice server usually only runs on practice days so if it wasn't a practice day would have shown up like that as like I said it appears it wasn't clearing or updating the active servers it was seeing. It should have dropped those 65535 ping servers after a set period of time.

I've opened a server ('lexa's Test, Ger, 14:30) at 14:30 GMT+1. Now it's 16:30 and I can still see it. Think my first guess is correct, for one reason or another the Master Server list is not cleared (think there should be some kind of time-out). Seems suboptimal to me, particularly because of the possibility of overflows. I've bought a crash-helmet and some dwarf bread and am well prepared.

Hmm, who's Seng and what is he doing with Elite's server that is used to build Bellas server configs on? Ahhh my brain hurts.

I've opened a server ('lexa's Test, Ger, 14:30) at 14:30 GMT+1. Now it's 16:30 and I can still see it. Think my first guess is correct, for one reason or another the Master Server list is not cleared (think there should be some kind of time-out). Seems suboptimal to me, particularly because of the possibility of overflows. I've bought a crash-helmet and some dwarf bread and am well prepared.

Hmm, who's Seng and what is he doing with Elite's server that is used to build Bellas server configs on? Ahhh my brain hurts.

I'm Seng ;) Major usually calls me by my given name ;)