Bolthar

The infamous "Client MFC Application has stopped working" error

I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me solve an error I am receiving when trying to launch No One Lives Forever GOTY Edition. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with an nVidia GeForce GTX 970 card. The installation from the original discs worked fine, and it will allow me to open the launcher where I can select Display, Advanced, Launch, or Quit. Once I choose my display options (no matter what they are) and attempt to Launch, it gives me the error "Client MFC Application has stopped working" with a small blank DOS window in the background. I have tried disabling everything in the Advanced section, one at a time, but this makes no impact. Changing resolutions makes no impact.

I have installed the game from both the original GOTY discs as well as the version on http://nolfrevival.tk/ with the same issue on both. I have Googled extensively for solutions but nothing has worked. A common culprit seems to be G-Sync, but I do not have G-Sync capability on my monitors so that is not the issue. NOLF 2 runs fine on my machine once patched to 1.3, so I'm not sure what the issue is. A solution would be much appreciated!

You should reinstall your Graphic Driver, and make sure you do a Clean Install. put a check in box on the bottom of the driver that asks you if you want to do a clean install, after that-reinstall your game and try the game just to make sure it's working, if it works then get the patches for it and you should be all set

Good Luck.

Edited by nolfguy

Have you tried the Nolf Compatibility Fix and the No CD patch? I've installed both and can run Nolf without problems on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Thank you for the replies. I did a clean reinstall of my graphics drivers and reinstalled the GOTY Edition but still have the same error. Where can I download these fixes, Fortran?

I found the No CD patch as well as some Widescreen fixes, but those did nothing. I didn't see anything re: compatability. If you have a direct link, that'd be most helpful.

I found the No CD patch as well as some Widescreen fixes, but those did nothing. I didn't see anything re: compatability. If you have a direct link, that'd be most helpful.

I use this and set the compatibility mode for Windows 7 or XP SP3

Dang. I reinstalled the GOTY Edition from discs, installed the launcher you linked, tried both Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 compatibility modes, and got the same error. I guess I am just destined not to be able to enjoy this game on Windows 10. :(

Dang. I reinstalled the GOTY Edition from discs, installed the launcher you linked, tried both Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 compatibility modes, and got the same error. I guess I am just destined not to be able to enjoy this game on Windows 10. :(

Did you let the installer install the older direct X?

I had always unchecked the box before. This time, I left it checked and it brought up a box that had "Reinstall DirectX" and "Exit" as options, but the option to reinstall was greyed out. Does it actually work on Windows 10? I figured it would have a compatibility issue with the modern DirectX.

I had to install it to get the game to work on Windows 10 Pro.

I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me solve an error I am receiving when trying to launch No One Lives Forever GOTY Edition. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with an nVidia GeForce GTX 970 card. The installation from the original discs worked fine, and it will allow me to open the launcher where I can select Display, Advanced, Launch, or Quit. Once I choose my display options (no matter what they are) and attempt to Launch, it gives me the error "Client MFC Application has stopped working" with a small blank DOS window in the background. I have tried disabling everything in the Advanced section, one at a time, but this makes no impact. Changing resolutions makes no impact.

I have installed the game from both the original GOTY discs as well as the version on http://nolfrevival.tk/ with the same issue on both. I have Googled extensively for solutions but nothing has worked. A common culprit seems to be G-Sync, but I do not have G-Sync capability on my monitors so that is not the issue. NOLF 2 runs fine on my machine once patched to 1.3, so I'm not sure what the issue is. A solution would be much appreciated!

Out of curiosity did you reach out to them on that site to see what they modified on it to get around the CD copy protection and other stuff.

I would assume they re-bundled it somehow.

Otherwise there are a few topics on here about the client MFC. subject.