black screen when going underwater

Hey I did it!

I just downloaded the latest dgVoodoo 2 files and it works for me. Maybe it's because I have DirectX 12 and the previous ones might have been optimized for DirectX 11, no idea, I'm NOT AN EXPERT so I don't know what I'm talking about. 

But it works and I'm very happy! :)

9 hours ago, bucko said:

Hey I did it!

I just downloaded the latest dgVoodoo 2 files and it works for me. Maybe it's because I have DirectX 12 and the previous ones might have been optimized for DirectX 11, no idea, I'm NOT AN EXPERT so I don't know what I'm talking about. 

But it works and I'm very happy! :)

Good catch!!.

I've updated the download here to the latest version. 

• 6 months later...

hello all

im new to this form and i joined cause i had the black screen underwater problem, 

im using mac mini and intel HD graphics 4000, operating system windows 7. 

first thing i download directx 11 for windows seven.

then i downloaded the zip file provided on this form, opened it, then i copied the content of MS folder to the game directory, copied the voodoo  and opened it from the game directory, and i changed only the adopter to use/enable to my intel HD... then i opened the game and everything worked normally! 

thanks to this form. 

keep the good work 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, nolfbabe said:

Works like a charm, thank you so much!
Just wondering if there's any way to avoid the slight lag this leads to, though?

Can try capping the frame rate to 60.

• 3 months later...

Hey all!   After YEARS of not playing NOLF, I decided to run through the singleplayer games again.  The difficulties of getting the games to even run on newer hardware and operating systems wasn't surprising, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Nolfgirl was still around for tips and tricks.   I tried logging in, and remembered my password on the first attempt!  Thank you for keeping things going.   Also, as a thank you for providing the underwater fix, I threw some money in the donation jar.  I recommend that anyone who finds this fix useful for them, please donate as a thank you.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi.

I had this problem a while ago and using the instructions in this thread I solved it, but a couple months ago I tried to play again and after copying the voodoo files to the game folder, the game launchs only to the first screen (before showing the developers name etc) and then the game crashes. Any help? 

On 11/8/2019 at 2:14 AM, BrunoLawrie said:

Hi.

I had this problem a while ago and using the instructions in this thread I solved it, but a couple months ago I tried to play again and after copying the voodoo files to the game folder, the game launchs only to the first screen (before showing the developers name etc) and then the game crashes. Any help? 

Do you have any mods enabled? 

• 2 months later...

Edit: found a patch that fixed both FPS on some systems and mouse stuttering on others, and that fixed the issue. I may have been a bit hasty.

So, I was having the same issue with the screen going black whilst diving into water and such, but your methods fixed the issue. However, a new issue has risen in the form of this strange character and mouse behavior. My mouse now seems to get caught on nothing whilst I try to free-look around, and my character seemingly gets caught on edges and invisible walls that weren't there before I installed these patches. Any ideas as to why?

Edited by ImmaculateFiend

12 hours ago, ImmaculateFiend said:

Edit: found a patch that fixed both FPS on some systems and mouse stuttering on others, and that fixed the issue. I may have been a bit hasty.

So, I was having the same issue with the screen going black whilst diving into water and such, but your methods fixed the issue. However, a new issue has risen in the form of this strange character and mouse behavior. My mouse now seems to get caught on nothing whilst I try to free-look around, and my character seemingly gets caught on edges and invisible walls that weren't there before I installed these patches. Any ideas as to why?

May need to slow your mouse DPI down if you have a gaming mouse. I have to turn my Logitech gaming mouse way down to play NOLF. 

Yeah, I had thought initially that I had fixed the issue, but it's back. None of the patches I've installed have helped the issue. It didn't start until I installed dgVoodoo, which I needed in order to see underwater since everything would go black once I went in water. I'm not using a gaming mouse either, just a cheap jellycomb wireless mouse, but I tried my brother's mouse and the issue persisted. Any help is appreciated, as I'd really love to get into this game, but aiming is quite difficult with the mouse stutter. 

5 hours ago, ImmaculateFiend said:

Yeah, I had thought initially that I had fixed the issue, but it's back. None of the patches I've installed have helped the issue. It didn't start until I installed dgVoodoo, which I needed in order to see underwater since everything would go black once I went in water. I'm not using a gaming mouse either, just a cheap jellycomb wireless mouse, but I tried my brother's mouse and the issue persisted. Any help is appreciated, as I'd really love to get into this game, but aiming is quite difficult with the mouse stutter. 

Have you tried running it in windowed mode?

I was having a problem like the one below. I solved the problem like this.

V4zQYh.png

The game has the Game of the year edition and has a modernizer patch.

https://haekb.itch.io/nolf-modernizer

I first downloaded the 2.63.1 version of dgVoodoo2.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Screenshot_1.png.be33a93c5bd1a39e0d62fe86b8458cfc.png

Screenshot_2.png.76cc4236554a4d4b965cc1c04485a744.png

Screenshot_3.png.1f26f6ac6191f86851c96718ac6522b8.png

Screenshot_4.png.e3fa5fb9ab07ee023bcd798d946531ee.png

Screenshot_5.png.65548ee3fc6f501b790dc53f98cdc849.png

Screenshot_6.png.5b3442e7514b83f25d92d5f27a6cceca.png

Edited by Darktower
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Darktower said:

I was having a problem like the one below. I solved the problem like this.

V4zQYh.png

The game has the Game of the year edition and has a modernizer patch.

https://haekb.itch.io/nolf-modernizer

I first downloaded the 2.63.1 version of dgVoodoo2.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Screenshot_1.png.be33a93c5bd1a39e0d62fe86b8458cfc.png

Screenshot_2.png.76cc4236554a4d4b965cc1c04485a744.png

Screenshot_3.png.1f26f6ac6191f86851c96718ac6522b8.png

Screenshot_4.png.e3fa5fb9ab07ee023bcd798d946531ee.png

Screenshot_5.png.65548ee3fc6f501b790dc53f98cdc849.png

Screenshot_6.png.5b3442e7514b83f25d92d5f27a6cceca.png

I have no idea what I broke, but now it says that directx isn't even installed.

See, I already had dgVoodoo 2 installed and had copied those files, but I thought that maybe I had done something wrong whilst doing it previously, so I re-downloaded it and deleted the previous one. Game wont launch properly, now.

I'd upload pictures to clarify, but it keeps stating that the files are too large. Sorry if this seems strange, as I'm quite new to online forums and such.

Elaboration as to why pictures are lacking

• 3 months later...

Hey agents! I just joined your community because this site seemed more active and dedicated to NOFL than any other forums I  have seen. Anyways, I am having problems with the blackscreen going underwater. I downloaded NOFL GOTY revival from this website: http://nolfrevival.tk/ a day ago.

Everything worked perfectly, the widescreen patch as well. UNTIL, the third mission in Morocco. 

I downloaded this game 3 years ago with discs, on my windows 10, it had the same issue but I found a solution for it after a while after downloading buttload of stuff. Now after 3 years I downloaded this revival kit with no discs requirement and I cannot find any solution to it. I have tried everything, fixes from this forum that you guys discussed, nofl modernizers. dgvoodoo, NOTHING worked.

I have: Windows 10, 64-bit, AMD radeon gpu.

please help! I reeaaalyy need to play this game. its desperation. 

thanks in advance, :)

AMD graphic cards and Nolf can be interesting due to lack of directx9 support in some drivers. From what I understand, this was fixed for some chipsets with driver updates.

Not sure about the current state of the VEGA chip (which you most likely have)

Some people also made it work with  DGVoodoo, but modernizer also fix bugs  when it comes to disapearing AI and various other stuff such as multiplayer. So I suggest trying a combination of the 2, if  modernizer doesn't fix this alone.

Make sure you also have Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 installed if modernizer is acting up.

We haven't seen the last modernizer update yet though, it is still being developed :)

Any luck? You could also try to activate the ingame intel graphics fix in modernizer.. Intel chips have the black screen under water problem as well.