Roberts Confirmed

The Senate today voted 78-22 to confirm Judge John Roberts as the nation's 17th chief justice. Senate approval capped a two-month process surprisingly free of the partisan rancor widely expected when President Bush nominated Roberts in July. All of the Senate's Republicans, and about half of the Democrats, voted for Roberts. Roberts is the successor to William Rehnquist, who died earlier this month.

Now it gets interesting on who will be Bush's selection for the Justice to replace retiring Sandra Day O'Connor.

Knix' date='Sep 29 2005, 12:08 PM' post='15416']

Now it gets interesting on who will be Bush's selection for the Justice to replace retiring Sandra Day O'Connor.

How about Priscilla Owen?

Did you hear that idiot Schumer telling Bush what kind of judge to send down next time? That windbag voted NO this time! What's he going to do, vote "DOUBLE NO!" next time? Really gives him a lot of leverage -- "well, I'm going to vote no on this nomination, but if I don't like the next nomination better, then I'm really going to make you sorry!" what a jackass.

Yeah, I actually used to like Charles Schumer (NY State Senator along with Hillary Rotten Clinton), even if he is a Democrat. But after seeing him make a fool out of himself during the confirmation hearings (favorite question to John Roberts "Counselor, do you really feel you'll be a fair Jurist?" :D.....he's as fake as Belgaron's front teeth :P. The only democrat I like now is Elliot Spitzer, the New York State District Attorney.

Knix' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:13 PM' post='15428']

The only democrat I like now is Elliot Spitzer, the New York State District Attorney.

don't forget nassau county executive tom suozzi (democrat). straight from my hometown of glen cove. w00t!!

I think that the democrats who made snide comments for no good reason made all democrats look like idiots during all this. I have no issues with John Roberts, and It disappoints me that some democrats will say "no" just because he was nominated by a republican. Republican talking heads latch onto this and generalize ALL democrats as being this way when it actually is not the case. It also really puts my panties in a bunch that some are ALREADY saying that they will fillabuster the next nominee, even though they don't know who it will be.

No one seems to have brought up the notion that it's completely moot to discuss who does and who doesn't like Roberts. We do not know anything about him whatsoever. Democrats and Republicans can only speculate what he might be like because Bush nominated him, which most likely turns into daydreaming fantasies for conservatives and horrifying what-ifs for progressives. All we can do is speculate about who he is and the most logical method is to consider who nominated him in the first place.

No one seems to have brought up the notion that it's completely moot to discuss who does and who doesn't like Roberts. We do not know anything about him whatsoever. Democrats and Republicans can only speculate what he might be like because Bush nominated him, which most likely turns into daydreaming fantasies for conservatives and horrifying what-ifs for progressives. All we can do is speculate about who he is and the most logical method is to consider who nominated him in the first place.

How do you figure that Daybreak? He has a history as a judge to form an opinion from- after reviewing how he has handled/passed judgement on various issues, they have a pretty darn good idea who he is. Most right wing conservatives feel he is a little too moderate to be replacing the very conservative and traditional (constitutionalist?) Rehnquist.

On another note, Roberts record was entirely blemish free...the pitiful handful of democrats, who based their vote on whether he will propogate their liberal agenda, looked for any reason out there they could find to squash him - they found nothing...this guy is spotless. Truly a sad reason to cast a 'no' vote.

Ah, I love the smell of cronyism in the morning...

It smells....it smells like victory!

Now someone just has to take out Ginsburg..then we'll really be cookin!

She's so liberal she makes 3 left turns to go right.

i really appreciate Bush tryin to get a full republican thing goin on in the Supreme Court...but i mean, he has to appoint his attorney?

i think she will be confirmed...but during the hearings she is gonna be given a REALLY hard time by the democrats...

the republicans hold more seats though so she should get passed just by that...

id rather have some1 with actual experience at judge though...

[maybe thats just me]

Actually Sp@zz, she was a registered democrat durring the 1980's and contributed to Al Gore's campaign when he ran against Bush for President. I for one am very leery of her, but I'm hoping Bush knows something about her that I don't and that he is picking her because she is the best candidate for the job.

It scares me when liberal politicians are excited to have her nominated even to the extent that a couple have already given her "the nod" prior to the confirmation hearings. It may sound kind of funny, but the yard stick I use to determine how conservative a candidate is, is by how loud the liberal politicians bellyache over the nominee - the more they bellyache, the more confident I am that this person holds views similar to my own.

This is a very odd situation. Miers seems to be all over the place. She certainly has a tremendous smoke-screen surrounding her, whether intentional or otherwise. With her eclectic political affiliations, she seems on the surface to be a person who votes her conscience, not by blind party loyalty. I'm not that optimistic, especially when, from what I hear, Cheney told a very concerned Rush Limbaugh that she definitely shares his politics and not to worry.

*edit* spelling

haha, that could be a possibility :P

i just would have prefered someone with actual experience as a Judge...and not just an attorney...

[bush's Attorney for that matter]

i mean, i wont explain too much as to what i think, b/c i am VERY uninformed im sure...and i know you guys know far more than me...but i am taking an American Government class right now, so we have been talkin about this a bit, so i am just throwin in what ive heard, and what i feel on it...

• 3 weeks later...