NOLF1 Couldn't set D3D Emulation mode. Shutting down NOLF ...

So I wanted to play this classic again but ran into problems.

I have the GOTY edition and I played it last year on my windows 8.1 laptop without problems. Now I have windows 10 on my desktop PC and I get this error message when I try to start the game

.7b1d270303.png

I already updated my drivers and tried to install DirectX7 but that wasn't possible because the installer doesn't work. I have a feeling that the reason for this error are the new crimson drivers for AMD GPUs. I hope I'm wrong and some of you guys can help me :)

Edited by Dangel

Editing apparently doesnt work. Just wanted to say:

Eliteone founded SFI in Elite Force? I know you guys only played one season in the fun4gamers league but I still remember the good old days on the UNITED servers (>=TFF=>, The Funky Fraggers here :D)

Editing apparently doesnt work. Just wanted to say:

Eliteone founded SFI in Elite Force? I know you guys only played one season in the fun4gamers league but I still remember the good old days on the UNITED servers (>=TFF=>, The Funky Fraggers here :D)

Long time no see. You may want to grab the goty version from the downloads and install that or use the 32 bit installer that someone made for NOLF (also in our downloads)

The NOLF1 launcher made by URA (download too lol) is recommended file to use too.

I dont understand why I should use the GOTY version from your dowlnoads if I already have mine and as far as i know the 32-bit installer is supposed to the same as the GOTY-installer? The Launcher didn't help btw.

I dont understand why I should use the GOTY version from your dowlnoads if I already have mine and as far as i know the 32-bit installer is supposed to the same as the GOTY-installer? The Launcher didn't help btw.

A common cause is when the d3d.ren file is corrupted. Recopying that file from your discs might fix the problem. Also, doing a reinstall from the download EliteOne mention would also let you know if your discs have a bad spot.

If your version of Windows is 64bit then the original NOLF can have compatibility issues as it uses a 16 bit installer.

The GOTY edition uses a 32bit installer which runs on a 64 bit version of Windows.

We have a 32 bit installer in the downloads that works with your version of NOLF which I suggested in my previous post.

Now I get it. The downloaded version works perfectly fine. Really strange ... but this leads to two new questions:

- I use the launcher but the resolution that I pick is not used. It keeps switching back to 640x480. I tried enforcing it in the autoexec.cfg but it got me the same result.

- Which files do I need to copy over from my discs to get the german voice-over? Or can I actually just install from my CDs and simply swap the d3d.ren file? I'm in love with Cates german voice (same voice-actress as german Cortana from Halo). The german version of the game was exceptionally well made. Seems like translation studios back then put in a little more effort than today.

Ok, I tested some stuff. After reinstalling the game in german and swapping the d3d.ren file i can launch the game in 1080p without problems. The only option that doesn't work is my native screen resolution of 1440p (keeps switching back to 640x480).

I also have the problem that the zoom crosshair is only 4:3 so you still see what's happening left and right which leads to extreme stuttering when zooming in. The guns (the lockpick-tool definately) are also quite stretched. I figured that i just download the widescreen-fix from the download section but then realized that it would overwrite the NOLF.exe that was changed with the launcher. Another thing is that i have a somewhat stuttering mouse in the menus which I thought should be fixed with the fix provided in the launcher-tool. Ingame everything is fine though.

Ok, I tested some stuff. After reinstalling the game in german and swapping the d3d.ren file i can launch the game in 1080p without problems. The only option that doesn't work is my native screen resolution of 1440p (keeps switching back to 640x480).

I also have the problem that the zoom crosshair is only 4:3 so you still see what's happening left and right which leads to extreme stuttering when zooming in. The guns (the lockpick-tool definately) are also quite stretched. I figured that i just download the widescreen-fix from the download section but then realized that it would overwrite the NOLF.exe that was changed with the launcher. Another thing is that i have a somewhat stuttering mouse in the menus which I thought should be fixed with the fix provided in the launcher-tool. Ingame everything is fine though.

The NOLF launcher made by URA includes a widescreen fix that may address your issue.

Now I get it. The downloaded version works perfectly fine. Really strange ... but this leads to two new questions:

- I use the launcher but the resolution that I pick is not used. It keeps switching back to 640x480. I tried enforcing it in the autoexec.cfg but it got me the same result.

- Which files do I need to copy over from my discs to get the german voice-over? Or can I actually just install from my CDs and simply swap the d3d.ren file? I'm in love with Cates german voice (same voice-actress as german Cortana from Halo). The german version of the game was exceptionally well made. Seems like translation studios back then put in a little more effort than today.

That's interesting cause Jen Taylor (English voice for Cate) also voices Cortana in the Halo series.

In theory you could copy over the files for the German voice over.

As I already said: I use the launcher but I still have those problems. Old games are weird, Warner Bros should just sort their 'frack' out, think logical and re-release the game.

Nicole Boguth also voices the female Shepard from Mass Effect (Jen Taylor however is not her voice). I think it's strange that voice actors are completely unkown while they are a big reason why you like a character or not. Would be cool to see "seyiuu"-like (japanese name for the job) fame for our voice actors. They are stars over there.

As I already said: I use the launcher but I still have those problems. Old games are weird, Warner Bros should just sort their 'frack' out, think logical and re-release the game.

Nicole Boguth also voices the female Shepard from Mass Effect (Jen Taylor however is not her voice). I think it's strange that voice actors are completely unkown while they are a big reason why you like a character or not. Would be cool to see "seyiuu"-like (japanese name for the job) fame for our voice actors. They are stars over there.

Try THIS file and see if it helps your issue.