Remembering 9/11

Eliteone

IPB Image

Today is the fourth anniversary of the 11th September attacks on the World Trade Center and the US.

Please remember those who lost there lives on that day of horror, we as people must never forget and remember them always.

Word. May time help their families get slowly better, but never forget. I really hope that, some day, all those who are responsible for this atrocity (and too many others worldwide) will stand in a court of Justice and face the looks of the brothers and sisters, parents or daughters and sons of their victims.

My 6 year little girl old found me looking at this: 9-11 slideshow.  I wept all over again trying to explain it.  Slides 14-18 get me every time.

14727[/snapback]

having witnessed this tragedy first hand i can tell you this is one of the most emotional days of my life. i literally did not sleep for a year. i hope we never forget, but i believe we probably will forget. this makes me sad. this also enrages me nearly as much as the event itself.

Even four years later, it seems just like yesterday.

I was living with my wife and then 5 month old child on the shores of the New Jersey side of the Hudson river. We were right across for 70th St. Our view was amazing. We had a front row seat everyday from the George Washington Bridge all the way down to the Statue of Liberty. At night I used to watch the skyline just across the river all lit up.

That morning of Sep 11th, 2001 started like any other. I got up, showered, then kissed my wife and child goodbye and went downstairs to work. There was spots outside our building where you could look across to Manhattan. This morning when I got downstairs, around 40 people were crowding the area. I asked someone what was going on, and he told me (with his face white as a ghost) that he just saw a plane fly into the World Trade Center. I looked up and saw around 2 miles away smoke emanating from the top of the towers. It was too far to see if one or both towers were affected (at the time only the North tower). I still had to go to work, so I took the bus down to the dock, and took the ferry across to Manhattan. I saw 4 people talking to the conductor, and walked over to hear what he had to say. He was telling them that he just saw the second plane...a commercial plane...steered directly into the South tower. He said that this had to have been a terrorist attack, and that he was betting the military would be there shortly. I must have been in a state of denial, as I saw it at that moment as a site of curiosity then actual horror.

When we got to the dock on 38th street, sirens from Police, ambulance, and fire trucks were already blaring, as they raced down the west side highway, too numerous to count. Only later did I realize that I was seeing many men and women racing to what eventually was their death. The bus line I had to take to work was obviously not running, so I walked the 1.5 miles Westbound to my office. Along the way people were milling about all outside their building speculating on what just happened. Just before I arrived at my office, I saw a television in an e-trade frontstore window, showing the top of both towers up close. Only then did I see the devastation of the fire and smoke bellowing from the towers. From a distance the towers just appeared to be smoking from the top, but lacked the true horror that I saw on the TV screen.

I got to work, and the place was crazy. Clients (I'm in the corporate travel business), were calling from out of town asking what was going on at home, and if we could reach their families, as they were not getting through on their cell phones. Around an hour after I arrived, a manager come out of her office to tell everyone that they should try and get home, as both towers had collapsed, the Pentagon had been hit, along with a plane having had crashed in Pennsylvania. All inbound traffic into Manhattan had been closed off. A few people were in a real panic, and I tried to talk down one of my workers who was a complete wreck.

When I left the building I looked down Madison avenue only to see huge clouds of smoke starting what seemed a mile down the avenue. I started walking back to the ferry slip, but everything was different from when I entered around one hour before.

Everything seemed quiet. The only noise came from the occasional police car that raced by, or the person yelling into their cell phone trying (I assume) to let his/her family know that they were ok. After the long walk back to the slip, I saw the long long line of people waiting to get back on the New Jersey bound ferry. I waited around 1 and a half hours till I got on. As I waited I remember how everyone was quietly looking downtown at the huge cloud of smoke which now replaced what was just earlier when of the most magnificent structures made by modern man. F-16 fighter jets circled above us. I got home around 45 minutes later, and started to get phone calls from everyone I knew outside New York, checking to see if I was ok. All the things I saw that day still hadn't struck me yet.

A month later we had moved out of New Jersey into our new house. Every time a plane flew over head I sat up in my bed and went to the window, to be sure that it was not coming towards my house. I soon got over this fear, but everytime 9/11 roles around, I remember that horrible day as if it just happened yesterday.

I will never forget it.

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Knix. I can't imagine that it's possible to feel more strongly about that day than I do, but logically I know I'm wrong -- that you and those like you went through something I can scarcely imagine.

I must have been in a state of denial, as I saw it at that moment as a site of curiosity then actual horror.

14787[/snapback]

In these four years, I thought I must be the only one who initially felt that way that day. I saw everyone else at work gathered around the TV, glanced in on what they were looking at, said "huh," and went back to work. I think, at first, that I thought it was like a Cessna or something that had crashed, and that it was no big deal.

I will never forget it.

14787[/snapback]

I will never allow myself to forget it. We must remember, not only to honor the fallen of that day, and all of our soldiers since, but also to keep ever vigilant. Our enimies are animals, and if I ever start to waver in that belief (I don't, EVER), all I would have to do would be to view some video from that day, or that slideshow I posted. I will never forget, nor will I forgive, nor will I allow my government to.

Thanks again, Knix

ok im apologizing before hand, because im just speaking my mind, and in most cases, the truth...

i know that 9/11 is still really big to a lot of you, and still right on your minds and hearts...but living in cali...most people here dont care that much, im not sayin it to say people in cali are heartless or anything, its just, none of us were affected like you guys. i really feel for all of u, but i mean, 9/11 just isnt as big of a deal to me or most people here on the west coast. i really do care for my country and stuff, its just, like, the news and stuff says 9/11 would change ALL of our lives and stuff, and truthfully, that only applies to people on the east coast, or the select few that had a family member or close friend that got hurt in that incedent. again im not just tryin to be mean or sound harsh, or make anyone one the west coast sound bad, all im tryin to say is that, it really is unfortunate that the people on the west coast just can't relate to this like you guys from the east coast (especially new york)...and i mean, sad enough as it is to say this, but i can almost garuntee, that in 2 or 3 years, the whole west coast wont even care anymore at all...we will just be going through the motions when 9/11 comes around...

thats just my 2 cents, living on the west coast, i think we needed another prospective...

Who on earth needed THAT perspective?? OMG Spazz you really, really can't think before you post, can you? 9/11 changed the whole WORLD, in case you hadn't noticed so far. Go tell the people in Irak and Afghanistan that 9/11 was only an East Coast issue, will you? Two dictatorial regimes got blown away by the american intervention and thousands of people lost their lives on both sides. Should I really remind you that there is somethink like A LINK between these things?

Dude, in France, 28 people got killed in terrosist attacks in the last 20 years. Yep, 28 people in 20 years, not more than 3000 in one single day. Anyway, these attacks have drasticly changed our everyday life, and we got used to it. Now we've got cops with assault rifles in every corner of Paris, you won't find any garbage can in most of the major cities (even here in Dijon), and people can't park their car near their children's school anymore. It's been like that in the past 9 years, in fact, and we know that we still may be the next in line after New York, Madrid and London. But why not Los Angeles or San Francisco before that?

I'm not saying that we gotta go paranoid, that would be completely useless. But reading posts like yours, even if I live a few thousand miles away from NYC, makes me bloody mad. You sound like you're disappointed because your life didn't change that much after 9/11. Well, THANK GOD! What did you expect, going to school with a gas mask because it would be fun? COME ON!

wow spazz............................wow. for once i am at a loss for words. all i can say to you is i hope you will never be affected the way i was on that tragic day.

uhhh, i think i speak for many when i say what the hell are you thinking?

what was the point of your post. [...] ridiculously insensitive things like what you say is better left unsaid. when you try to talk about 9/11, dont speak for an entire coast, state, or city. just speak for [yourself]. you're not speaking the truth, you're making a fool out of yourself.

when will you ever learn, factor. just stop posting for everyone's sake. first you get chased away for acting like you're one bad mother at ST, now you try to belittle a day that will that has changed america.

yeah, i guess pearl harbor ain't no thang either, WWI, WWII, the holocaust. after all, you weren't around when it happened SO it must not mean anything....

Edit by Spacko

I edited out some pretty harsh things - but I think the essence of your post remains, blue.

Edited by Spacko

Well in a sort of defence of Factor's statement, my life hasn't changed a bit since 9/11. The stories I frequently read in Time Magazine have changed vastly, but the effect on my own personal little life up here in Norway has been all the drama of not being able to bring pointy objects in my hand luggage on board air planes.

On the other hand it's safe to say the lives of millions of people worldwide have changed, so the fact that mine remains the same is but an insignificant detail.

Anyway, unsincere compassion is worse than having no compassion at all in my book - although neither strikes me as something to flaunt to a forum full of mourners for their family, friends and fellow Americans.

*Laughs so hard he falls and hits his head hard cracks its too,

so he goes to the hospital and comes back a few hours later with 5 stitches*

I, of course, support our troops, but i find it hard to

blame the terrorists...no, dont verbally slit my throat yet,

heres why, they were born in places like North Korea,

Afganistan (misspell, Blue, hardy har, motha****ing har :rolleyes: ), or Iraq,

and they were brainwashed as little children to believe the way they do,

they think they are good and we are evil, and we think the opposite,

but i dont really truelly know who is wrong and who is right, although

i do believe that we are right, obviously, but what if they are right :o

Just a thought...

Well, Spazz, you certainly don't speak for me and I live about 2 hours away from you. Sure, it may have not affected my everyday life... but it sure changed my outlook on life and the world. Please don't say you're speaking for half of the west coast, because you're not. We have our own voices, and I think it's pretty reasonable to say we can speak for ourselves.

dude, i personally dont give a 'frell' what u guys feel...

i dont give a 'frell' about the language...

i dont give a 'frell' about any of that 'frack'...

i at least got this topic goin didnt i ;)

and the reason i brought it up, is cuz my lit teacher did, and the whole class got in a discussion, needless to say, about 99% of my class feels the same way i do, im sorry if most people are too 'kitty' to come out and say 'frack'...so keep your mouths 'frell'in shut...

it changed the world in only a few ways...

made airports a 'witch' to get through...made people WAY more afraid (of stupid 'frack' that has a very small chance of happening)...and it made us protect everything way more than we need...

dont bag on me and my point of view, just because your little *edited* are too 'kitty' to say it...

listen...truthfully, when it happened, i was too young for it to really even affect me...and now when im older...what is it just supposed to matter to me?...

i didnt say that u people have to believe what i do, just throwing out my point of view, u dont have to bash me for it...

so shut the 'frell' up, we know how you feel, i was just sayin how i did...

i didnt say i didnt give a 'frell' about it...i just said that i can almost guaruntee that its not that big of a deal over here on the west coast in a few years...like, when 9/11 rolls around...it wont be too big of a deal unless some1 was impacted by it in 1 of 2 ways...a family member goin to war, or sum1 dying in the accident...

im sorry if u think im a heartless piece of 'frack'...but "quite frankly dear, i dont give a damn"...

i think the main reason i dont care, is because politics piss me off...so i dont care about them, or anything to do with them...and WHENEVER anyone starts talkin about them, EVERYONE breaks out in a fight...so i try to stay out of it...

i mean, 'frack', look what one persons point of view did...doubled the 'frell'in posts in this topic...in 1 day...what u guys had in 3...

thats the kinda stupid 'frack' politics do that pisses me off...and i try to avoid them, cuz some 'witches' like "most" of you, cant take anyone having a view differently than yours and accepting it...

why dont u 'frell'in get your heads outta your *edited* and look around...not EVERYONE views 'frack' he same way you do, dont kill them for it ;)

Being "west coast" too it affected me. It doesn't matter how old you are it changed the way of life all over the world. For the USA it shattered the illusion of it can never happen on US soil. Before then terrorist attacks happen halfway around the world and on the evening news. Then 9/11...................if you don't remember it ask your parents about it ask your aunts and uncles etc.

I moved to the US for many reason one of which was it was "safe" here.

9/11 was a wake up call for the US and the rest of the world too.

We should never forget that either and remember those who were innocent and perished that day.

To state otherwise is blastphamy to their memory and their families who still feel the loss.

never said anything bad against anyone that was lost or nothing...

and thats what really got me mad...

i said how it was sad and unfortunate too...

and people still thought it was cool to attack me personally...

i was just lettin people know what i had been seeing...

and no, i was plenty old enough to know, i was 13...almost jojo's age right now...

its just, i dont get too involved in all that stuff...sorry

when will you ever learn, factor. just stop posting for everyone's sake. first you get chased away for acting like you're one bad mother at ST, now you try to belittle a day that will that has changed america.

yeah, i guess pearl harbor ain't no thang either, WWI, WWII, the holocaust. after all, you weren't around when it happened SO it must not mean anything....

hahahahahaha, just keep showin us how dumb you are huh...

those were really valid points you brought up...NOT...

um, yah, do we still celebrate the day WWI WWII or Pearl Harbor started or ended...no we dont ;)

so u just um, proved what im sayin right, but nice try...

maybe its you that should refrain from posting, cuz you care about what people think about you, and you just showin that u arent too smart ;)

but yah, its cool, cuz i can keep talkin, cuz i dont care what any of "you" think about me...

Um... by the way, I'm 15.

If you dislike politics and these types of discussions, why do you come here and say you don't care? To me, by you keep prancing around back in here saying "I don't care what you think" over and over, just shows that you do care.

Since when did 99% of your classmates make up for the entire west coast?

And the WWs didn't start ALL on ONE day. Different nations entered at different times. However, we do have an anniversary for Pearl Harbor, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, blah blah...

Making a Forum "active" is never a hard task Spazz. I can make a post that reads "Sp@zz wipes his 'donkey' with porcupine needles" and I'm sure we'll have 30 posts by the end of teh day on that wonderfull topic.

This is a NOLF forum, how the hell can you expect to post what you did, with inaccurate statements, on a topic as important to so many people, and NOT expect to catch flack?

Did you expect someone to come back and say " Gee Sp@zz, that is an intersting point you bring up! I never realized that there may be people out there in the US who think like you do. Kudos for bringing that view to the table!" ?

um, yah, do we still celebrate the day WWI WWII or Pearl Harbor started or ended...no we dont

Yes we do.

November 11, the day WWI ended : celebrated in France.

June the 4th, D-day in Normandy : celebrated in France; many officials from the whole world come here every year.

May the 8th, end of WWII : celebrated in France.

i think the main reason i dont care, is because politics piss me off...so i dont care about them, or anything to do with them...and WHENEVER anyone starts talkin about them, EVERYONE breaks out in a fight...so i try to stay out of it...

uhh, why dont you stay out of it then.

um, yah, do we still celebrate the day WWI WWII or Pearl Harbor started or ended...no we dont wink.gif

so u just um, proved what im sayin right, but nice try...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. OMG YOU ARE STUPID!!!111!!!one!1

both jojo and genesis answered you. i was saying that by your logic, WWI, WWII, the holocaust all dont affect us because we weren't there; in proximity or in the same time. but obviously, it does affect us. we have national holidays for them, boy-genius.

i guess no one remembers the revolutionary war either. the united states of america just popped out of thing air, right? :lol:

civil war too. i mean, im allowed to have slaves, right?

just because you start up a topic doesnt mean you should be praised for it. frankly you should be shot for such nonsense.

*oh wow, look at factor use such bad language. he's got me convinced he's one bad motha shut yo mouth*

For once i must back Blue up, hes typing nothing but facts...

but dont think I like you, its still **** you punk :P

You said you dont give a **** and you also said you got really mad... :huh:

I notice you tend to curse alot when your mad, that makes you look dumb,

you need to curse even when your not mad to be cool...like me

:rolleyes::P and we all know Factor doesnt represent the westcoast,

I do :lol: and umm, stop bashing Factor, what do ya think about my opinion (last post)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines Privacy Policy.