Animal Welfare

Well plants are living things too...I think we need to get a grip on our body and just stop eating all together. Making homes out of wood, and making clothes out of plant products is just horrific! I can't believe we do such things! We are barbaric!

*sobs* I need a tree to hug...

Plants don't have nervous systems that can detect pain and send it through the mind. They only have one purpose, to grow. Whilst animals have more complicated purposes, food NOT being one of them.

Did you know plants can exist without herbavors or carnivores, but those can't exist without plants. Guess that shows whose boss. Also, the energetic quality of food degrades everytime it is eaten. So if you get your food from an animal, you get less energy than straight from plant.

*Hugs tree*

Wow...you need to explain this to Oprah.

Also, the energetic quality of food degrades everytime it is eaten. So if you get your food from an animal, you get less energy than straight from plant.

Sorry sonny, it doesn't work that way....

Also, the energetic quality of food degrades everytime it is eaten. So if you get your food from an animal, you get less energy than straight from plant.

Sorry sonny, it doesn't work that way....

12700[/snapback]

Right, RXS. What does happen though, is that for every kilogram of beef on a cow, that cow eats 10 kilograms of wheat - and beef does not contain 10 times the energy of wheat. Thus in some way you're right DiaB, but that way of thinking doesn't count the milk we get from cows, the leather, the intestines (which are also food, mind you), the fact that us humans desperately need the proteins which are plentiful in meat as they are the very building blocks of the human body, nor the fact that most of us agree we want a nice, tasty steak once in a while.

I don't know what's wrong with eating animals, its been done about 2000 years now. Yes, I know those animals have it horrible and I don't like it but I'm not in the mood to go and catch my own meat every evening.

Personally I like to buy eggs from hens who can walk free and buy ecological products if the price difference is not outrageous. I figure that's a nice contribution to improving the conditions of animals. But turning vegitarian? No way!

Jacques brings up a good point. It is arbitrary to say that I love my dog, but have no problem sticking a fish with a hook (even though I practice catch and release 1 outta 5 times, the hooks cuts a gill, causing bleeding and eventually kills the fish). I have no good answer to this.

Its based I guess on social views. In western civilization people tend to treat animals such as dogs, cats, ferrets, exotic birds...and yes iguanas as almost members of the family. In parts of China, ferral cats are a delicacy, while in Mexico Iguana is frequently eaten (supposedly tastes like chicken tongue.gif).

There is an argument that Fish do not have the same nerver sensors as mammals do, but there is debate on this.

Oh well, guess i'm going to hell.

Right, RXS. What does happen though, is that for every kilogram of beef on a cow, that cow eats 10 kilograms of wheat - and beef does not contain 10 times the energy of wheat. Thus in some way you're right DiaB, but that way of thinking doesn't count the milk we get from cows, the leather, the intestines (which are also food, mind you), the fact that us humans desperately need the proteins which are plentiful in meat as they are the very building blocks of the human body, nor the fact that most of us agree we want a nice, tasty steak once in a while.

12707[/snapback]

Ah, but you're forgetting something. You are forgetting to add in all teh food the mother had to eat to produce that new cow, and how much food that new cow had to eat to grow that big. So I'm thinking you'd end up with more grain than meat.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I dont know numbers or have any statistics on this subject only my real life experiences.

Many of you are animal lovers Im sure and this is an area Im very passionate about.

Why are there so many in this world who are cruel to: or neglect animals??

Since I have settled down in Ireland I have found more lost and abandoned dogs than I can mention! I only chose to have one dog but have found my other two dogs through chance...Lennie was found in a town , sitting sheltering under a shop, he was cold and skinny and very dirty. All efforts were made to find his owner and no one came for him sad.gif  So he became dog number 2!

I found many more dogs since Lennie and found homes or owners who didnt seem to care less about their lost dogs!

Sammy joined us recently..he was dirty, skinny and in a terrible state! Again no one came froward to claim him so he has also joined the rather crowded home of Cels dog rescue center!!(Just a joke!)

In ireland everyday dogs are found, put into kennels and put down after 2 weeks or so and this really annoys me!!

Its not just dogs either I know, cats get a raw deal as well as every other domesticated and farmed animal out there.

Also animal experiments...this is a prickly one! Are these really neccessary??

What do you think NOLFERS???

11447[/snapback]

It seems that much of Europe is like that with their strays mad.gif

When I was in Greece last year, I came across sooo many strays and people were getting mad at them for going up to them!

I work at my local Humane Society SPCA as an Animal Health Tech, so I did things such as shots, bloodwork, tests, and medicine

Sadly, I also had to assist with euthananazations whhich BTW are COMPLETELY HUMANE, as the animal feels NO pain!!!!

Anyway, the ONLY ONLY reason for us to put down an animal was if it was too late by the time it got there (we do have veterinary resources, but they arent always available every minute)

ANYHOO, yea so Im a TOTAL sucker for strays

After school, i walked to our library, found a cute dog wandering around, people just petting him and walking away, and im like WTF people sheesh just take him to the animal shelter (BTW there IS a difference between an ANIMAL SHELTER and the ANIMAL POUND! Most SHELTERS are nonprofit and not associated with the city, so they can choose which animals can be recieved and which can not. also, many have a "no-kill" policy in which NO ANIMALS are put down to make space in the shelter. HOWEVER, animal POUNDS are usually assicioated with the city, and do a lot of euthanazations because they NEED to make room for more animals, and they usually hold the animals for only 3-5 days. some are nice, but some pounds are TOTALLY DISGUSTING. sometimes, we go and rescue animals from the pound, and let me tell you, you do NOT want to see what I have seen!!)

annnnnnnway, back to rescuing smile.gif

I also found some kittens under our schools air conditioning unit, so I took them as well, though they were a bit mean, but hungry, so I bought them fajita tacos from school smile.gif

allllll in allll, check around and look at your local animal shelters. most likely you would be able to volunteer there and help them out! trust me, we need all the help we can get! biggrin.gif

BTW if anyone has questions or something, Id LOVE to answer them!!!

(hhaha Im an aspiring veteranarian! laugh.gif )

-Chris