The best wireless gaming headset in 2022

UHQBot

rssImage-470c4e9f6fdf94338e5f29ef5aa81747.jpeg

The best wireless gaming headset gives you the freedom to move around your room or office and not have to fuss with cables. A wireless gaming headset keeps everything hands-free and keeps your desk free of clutter. The best ones have good sound quality, great battery life, and are easy to pair with your PC so that once you have it on, you don't need to think about it again. 

The two features that matter most in wireless gaming are battery life and wireless technology. Ideally, you want something that can go for a few days on a single charge. At a minimum, 30 hours of battery life is a decent enough starting point. But don't be surprised if you see some premium headsets offering literally hundreds of hours of battery life. I'm glad I'm seeing more headsets featuring Bluetooth connectivity since it frees up a USB slot that would be taken up by a wireless dongle, and you can connect your phone to them.

I know audio and what makes for the best wireless headphones. I've thrown high-res audio, outstanding gaming soundscapes, and hours of playtime at these headsets. That way, I get to intimately know their joys and failings.

If you're a serious audiophile whose primary focus is music instead of gaming, you should check out our picks for the best headphones for gaming (they're not just for gaming). The real bargains will be found in the best gaming headsets guide, but they won't provide the magical air of freedom the ones below will.

Best wireless gaming headsets

Image 1 of 3

Cloud Alpha wireless headset

(Image credit: HyperX)
Image 2 of 3

The HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless headset in testing with PC Gamer Editor's Pick badge

(Image credit: Future)
Image 3 of 3

The HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless headset in testing

1. HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless

The best wireless gaming headset

Drivers: Dynamic, 50mm with neodymium magnets | Connectivity: 2.4GHz wireless dongle | Frequency response: 15–21,000Hz | Features: Bi directional detachable mic | Weight : 322–335g with mic | Battery Life: 300 hours

Battery life that can only be described as witchcraft
Excellent for listening to music
Precise, powerful audio is great for gaming
Very comfortable
Microphone isn't up to par with the rest of the headset
They aren't the loudest headphones

The HyperX Cloud Alpha is perhaps the most praised thing to exist on this site. We all love it on team and now HyperX has cut the cord on its best pair of cans. The biggest drawcard for this headset is the new huge battery. This is offering up to 300 hour battery life while in wireless mode while still keeping the headset relatively light and comfortable. It's a pretty massive feat and I feel HyperX has pulled it off.

Out of the box this unit was reporting having about 80% charge, so I decided to leave it there to see how well that held. I spent a work day listening to music and checked the battery again: I swear it still said 80%. I have been using this thing for gaming and music listening pretty consistently for the past week and we aren't even at 50% battery yet.

That impressive battery life is of course, a best case scenario. A lot of that has to do with the volume you're running the headset at, and volume is probably my only real complaint. It's absolutely loud enough but I can listen to it at full volume and still be fairly comfortable.

The sound quality truly is incredible.

But the sound quality truly is incredible. Music sounds amazing. It's always fun to listen to some of my favourite sound heavy songs on a good pair of cans and try to pick the different instruments or bites used. These do an excellent job, and are definitely one of the better gaming headsets I've used to listen to music on. When playing games the directional sound is also very nice. I was able to easily locate hidden batteries by directional beeps in Deep Rock Galactic, and had a wonderful time bouncing along to the tight beats of Shadow Warrior 3. I loaded up some Doom Eternal and promptly terrified myself. If you've ever wanted to know what it sounds like having a Cacodemon suddenly show up and whisper sweet blah-things into very specifically your left ear then these can absolutely deliver.

The Cloud line is always touted for comfort and despite the hefty battery this still definitely fits the bill. I'm someone who struggles with too much weight or tightness on my head, and I have a real sensitivity to uncomfortable headsets. The top band is thick and has soft padding underneath. This coupled with the equally soft ear cups makes for a very cozy experience, and does an excellent job of blocking out noise.

Sadly, the mic is your fairly standard affair and while it will work just fine for chat in games, it's very basic and uninspired when it comes to sound quality. 

Though all things considered, I struggle to imagine a customer who wouldn't be happy with these as a wireless gaming headset. They're pricey, but within reason for their specs, and they certainly deliver on everything you could want for gaming, and listening to music, on your PC.

Read our full HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless review.

Image 1 of 3

Razer Blackshark V2 Pro gaming headset on a desktop in front of a gaming monitor

(Image credit: Razer)
Image 2 of 3

Razer Blackshark V2 Pro gaming headset and accessories

Image 3 of 3

Razer Blackshark V2 Pro gaming headset

2. Razer Blackshark V2 Pro

The best wireless gaming headset for pure audio

Drivers: Razer TriForce Titanium | Connectivity: USB 2.4GHz wireless dongle | Frequency response: 12–28,000Hz | Features: Detachable mic | Weight : 320g | Battery Life: 24 hours

Fantastic wireless audio
Decent battery life
Comfortable
Relatively weak microphone

The wired Razer BlackShark V2 is our favorite gaming headset and the wireless 'Pro' version takes all of the best bits from those excellent headphones and snips off the cable. It was previously sat in the number one spot but with the Cloud Alpha Wireless offering similarly excellent audio but with an absolute massive battery, we gave it to HyperX cans. That said, the BlackShark V2 Pro is regularly discounted as it's been around a little longer now, and with a big enough discount we'd definitely make the switch to Razer's pair.

The BlackShark V2 Pro is still the gaming headset I use on a daily basis, despite the fact I've got $400 and $1,300 planar magnetic headphones, both over and in-ear, in my kit cupboard. Largely that's because of the freedom of wireless connectivity, but also because the audio experience is as good as any dedicated gaming headset is able to offer.

The TriForce driver design apes the fantastic HyperX Cloud Alpha headset and matches its fantastic audio delivery, helping knock the previous top gaming headphones off their perch. They feel detailed, punchy, yet still rich enough to deliver an incredible experience in your chosen gameworld.

The BlackShark V2 Pro is still the gaming headset I use on a daily basis.

They're also super comfortable too and, call me a luddite, but having a physical volume dial is incredibly useful, and saves me otherwise fumbling around for buttons on an earcup. In fact, our only real issue is that I'm not a fan of their wee boom mic, but given there are some fantastic budget gaming mics out there right now, that's not a biggy.

When they were $180 the BlackShark V2 Pro was an excellent, though expensive wireless headset, but now it's regularly down to the $130 mark it's absolutely the one I'd recommend to my friends. And you, my new friends.

Image 1 of 4

Corsair HS80 RGB Wireless on a grey background

(Image credit: Corsair)
Image 2 of 4

Image 3 of 4

Image 4 of 4

3. Corsair HS80 RGB

The best gaming headset for spatial audio

Wireless: Yes | Drivers: 50mm, Neodymium drivers | Connectivity: Slipstream Wireless Dongle, USB Cable | Frequency response: 20Hz – 30,000Hz | Features: Omnidirectional Broadcast grade mic | Weight: 360g | Battery life: 20 hours

Floating headband design
Excellent Hi-Res Audio + Dolby Atmos
Excellent microphone
Feels bulky
Mic isn't detachable
No Bluetooth or 3.5mm

Corsair's new HS80 RGB Wireless Gaming Headset is easily one of the best headsets the company has ever made and also one of the best wireless headsets around. It takes some of the best headset features available and executes them really well. At $150, it boasts the latest and greatest lag-free Slipstream Wireless tech, high fidelity audio, and Dolby Atmos. The microphone is outstanding and the new design lets you wear them for ages without fatigue.

It's the spatial audio where the HS80 surprises, with impressive 3D audio and accurate positioning.

It's said that imitation is the highest form of flattery and the new HS80 imitates some of the best headsets from Steelseries. Corsair has finally adopted the same floating headband design that uses an adjustable strap to evenly distribute the weight across your noggin. Furthermore, the HS80 feels bulkier on my head than any Steelseries headset but at 370g, it's not much heavier. The ear cushions use plush, breathable fabric that wraps around your ears like a warm blanket, too, but can get humid in summers.

The HS80's ear cups can swivel 90-degrees and each one has a backlit Corsair logo. You can change the lighting in the Corsair iCUE, and it's actually quite understated. 

The HS80 uses 50mm drivers that output 24-bit/48kHz audio over Slipstream wireless and a higher fidelity 24-bit/96kHz over a USB Type-C cable. The latter will require something better than your typical Spotify to notice the difference though.

But all this just means that the HS80's sound fantastic with rich, full-body sound with well-balanced bass. The sub-bass can be a little lacking at times and I noticed some distortion even at low volumes.  This holds the HS80 back from true greatness but there's an EQ in iCUE that you can play with to fine-tune the audio to your liking.  

However, it's the spatial audio where the HS80 surprises, with impressive 3D audio and accurate positioning. This, as you can imagine, is great for games like first-person shooters or large open-world environments. This is made even better with support for Dolby Atmos and Corsair provides an automatic license with the headset. I've been playing a lot of Halo Infinite which supports Dolby Atmos and it has sounded amazing on these cans.

Battery life on the HS80 was consistent with the marketing claims of 20 hours. For me, this meant charging the headset every two days—with 10 hours of work and play each day. I didn't test to see if turning off the RGB lighting made a significant difference but given how small the lights are, I doubt it. Charging the HS80 is easy thanks to a Type-C connection that also allows you to listen to them while it charges.

The Corsair HS80 is a great headset. It sounds great in both games and other media with a wonderful implementation of Dolby Atmos. If you do a lot of chat, the microphone is one of the best we've tested.

Read our full Corsair HS80 RGB review

Image 1 of 4

SteelSeries

(Image credit: SteelSeries)
Image 2 of 4

SteelSeries

Image 3 of 4

SteelSeries

Image 4 of 4

SteelSeries

4. SteelSeries Arctis 9X

The best wireless gaming headset for cross platform players

Drivers: 40mm neodymium | Connectivity: Wireless via USB, 3.5mm wired, Bluetooth | Frequency response: 20–20,000Hz | Features: Retractable noise cancelling mic, DTS Headphone:X, 7.1 surround | Weight: 371g | Battery life: 30 hours

Solid gaming sound
Great Mic 
Bluetooth 
Heavy on the head
Headband slackens over time

Whatever you're listening to through the Arctis 9X wireless gaming headset, there's none of the muddiness or audio artifacts that have historically plagued other wireless cans. In essence, it sounds just as good as the best-wired models we've tested at this same price

The Arctis range's distinctive ski goggle headband is effective at keeping the weight of the headset away from your head. After a solid 12 months of daily usage, the headband has slacked off, making for a looser and slightly less comfortable fit, but the bands themselves are replaceable. We're big fans of the control placements at the rear of the headset, too: volume wheel and mic mute on the left, chat/game mix, and headset on/off on the right. The retractable mic is a little quiet, but it remains perfectly usable.

The extraordinary battery life clocks in at over 30 hours out of the box, and after almost a year of heavy use, that figure's hardly dropped off. This SteelSeries headset hits the sweet spot of providing the best sound without taking out a bank loan.

Image 1 of 3

Epos H3Pro Hybrid gaming headset

Image 2 of 3

Image 3 of 3

(Image credit: Epos)

5. Epos H3Pro Hybrid

A high-end gaming headset with lots of options

Drivers: 40mm | Connectivity: Bluetooth, 2.4 GHz wireless, USB, 3.5mm | Frequency response: 20–20,000Hz | Features: Removeable microphone, flip-to-mute, active noise cancelling | Weight: 308g | Battery life: 38 hours Bluetooth, 30 hours 2.4GHz

Works with everything
Music sounds amazing
Comfortable for long wear
Active noise cancelling
Detachable boom mute mic
Mic could be better
Expensive

Epos has launched out of the gate swinging with its own lineup of high-end headsets, and the H3Pro Hybrid is a testament to that. It's a premium headset with a whole lot of functionality, and that's going to interest anyone with multiple devices but only time for one headset in their life.

What you're getting is a gaming headset with an included microphone. Okay, good start. Though it's wireless, of course, and uses 2.4GHz via a dongle or Bluetooth to any device that supports it. Furthermore, it can be connected via USB for audio or a 3.5mm jack.

The key here is that flexibility in connectivity also transfers to the headset's design. It's lightweight, compact, and well-built for travel. The built-in microphone is also removable and can be replaced with a little magnetic cover. That means you can get up from your PC, disconnect the microphone, and have the headset connect to your phone for seamless and easy travel. No more looking a weirdo on the bus with your gaming headset mic at the ready.

Everything that’s removable, like the plush ear pads and mic are easy to do so without feeling like you might be breaking it. As a bonus, they go back just as simply so it never feels like you’re putting too much pressure forcing things in. That's especially true of the mic with its excellent magnetic hold, which you can replace with an equally easy to use cover when not in use.

As a one stop solution that does an excellent job and any task I give it that price becomes a bit easier to swallow.

That last point actually ended up being a bigger deal than I expected, because these headphones sound really good. Even for music. They’re a really nice set of wireless headphones I’m happy to wear for more than just gaming. They have a good range and quality of sound, and can get exceptionally loud without losing quality.

The control on the side is also really nice for granular changes so I found myself picking up even subtle little noises I might otherwise miss in music. I make and mix the music for my ambient sci-fi radio show podcast, Blockbuster Station, on an iPad, and even noticed a similar effect hearing my own music back through these via Bluetooth.

The real kicker with the headset is the price, and $‌279 for a gaming headset is no small amount of savings to offer up. Given the extreme versatility, an argument can be made that this is more than one headset for your money. I can use this headset with every single piece of kit I’ve tried and it’s worked well each time. As a one stop solution that does an excellent job and any task I give it that price becomes a bit easier to swallow. 

Read our full Epos H3Pro Hybrid review.  

Image 1 of 6

yzPkxtEE6EGrVFqk3peCZa.jpg

Image 2 of 6

v2sViFm3GBhLTc5KVDxeba.jpg

Image 3 of 6

nuKN3FzqNHR5voxBTbwkda.jpg

Image 4 of 6

bk3Aminu75D6Y7n46XKxWa.jpg

Image 5 of 6

rih5b7cNVSb3vsHzVZApUa.jpg

Image 6 of 6

Q8V2mtviX6SfiG3wzNy7Aa.jpg

6. Corsair HS70

The best budget wireless gaming headset

Drivers: 50mm neodymium dynamic | Connectivity: 2.4GHz wireless | Frequency response: 20–20,000Hz | Features: Available in black or white finishes, detachable mic | Weight: 314g | Battery life: 16 hours

Great construction
No-nonsense package
Poor battery life

This is great work from Corsair. The company has channeled all its expertise from higher-end models and somehow kept costs right down without compromising... well, anything detectable. If you'd told us the HS70 was a more expensive headset when we first unboxed it, we'd believe you. 

Aesthetically, they’re a breath of fresh air. There’s no RGB here, the minimal amount of plastic is soft to the touch, the leather memory foam headband is embroidered in an array of different colors, and the overall feel is sturdy. These can take a hit, that’s for sure. There’s the usual height adjustment on them, but that’s it.

And that build quality is what baffles us about the HS70's lower-end pricing, though—they feel sturdy enough to last years but are still light on the head and well-padded. The slightly under-padded headband is the only exception. We're not wholly on board with the perforated metallic finish on the earcups either, but that's a small price to pay for nailing everything that counts.

Stereo spread and overall sound articulation are the highlights here. 50mm neodymium dynamic drivers drive both earcups, and although they only come packing a 20Hz–20kHz frequency response, they’re some of the most well-balanced coils we’ve ever seen from the gaming market.

They feel sturdy enough to last years but are still light on the head and well-padded.

Equal even to HyperX’s now legendary Cloud series. Everything is crisp, everything is clear, they’re not too bass heavy, there’s very little distortion, and the mids don’t fall flat—it’s all very nice. They're tuned in line with the modern trend for flatter EQs and thus better versatility when you close down PUBG and bring up that doom metal playlist you've been working on in Spotify.

So, then, drawbacks? Well, apart from the lack of rotational movement, and no RGB for the, er, enthusiasts, you’re still limited to a 16-hour battery life before you need to recharge, and there’s no dock or the like. On top of that, the 7.1 virtual surround sound still kind of sucks, even in films and games. It’s just too synthetic, and you can tell—but, then, that is an optional extra; you don’t have to enable it. 

Ultimately, for the price, these cans are classy as hell, sound incredible, and are comfortable to boot. It’s hard not to love them.

Read our full Corsair HS70 SE review.

Image 1 of 4

Xbox

(Image credit: Xbox )
Image 2 of 4

Xbox

Image 3 of 4

Xbox

Image 4 of 4

Xbox

7. Xbox Wireless Headset

The best Bluetooth headset for Xbox and PC

Drivers: 40mm neodymium | Connectivity: Bluetooth, Xbox Wireless Protocol | Frequency response: 20–20,000Hz | Features: Bendable boom with dual mics | Weight: 311g | Battery Life: 15 Hours

Good Value
Nice, minimalist design
Solid Stereo Sound
Weak battery life

The long-awaited Xbox Wireless Headset definitely does not disappoint.  We knew that Microsoft's first wireless gaming headset was going to be ambitious; little did we know that it was also going to be one of the best budget wireless headsets for gaming at $100.

The audio is surprisingly good for the money, if not exactly spectacular. But the battery life is at the lower end of their peers, but being able to get four hours of juice from a 30-minute charge is pretty clutch and makes up for not having 3.5mm connections. One interesting feature for Xbox users is that you can connect the headset to your phone and your console simultaneously. This means you can hop onto Discord on your phone and hear your teammates WHILE still getting game audio from your Xbox. 

If you're a PC and Xbox Series X/S owner, the Xbox Wireless Headset, much like the Xbox Wireless controller, is a well-made piece of kit worth investing in that won't let you down or hurt your wallet. It's an easy-to-use Bluetooth headset that works well on multiple devices (except PS5s), and that isn't an easy trick to pull off. 

Image 1 of 4

The SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro wireless held up in front of a bush.

Image 2 of 4

Image 3 of 4

The SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro wireless game DAC on a desk.

Image 4 of 4

8. SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless

The best multi-device wireless headset

Drivers: 40mm | Connectivity: 2.4GHz wireless, Bluetooth, | Frequency response: 10–40,000Hz | Features: Game DAC with 2 USB Type-C inputs, 2x 3.5mm audio in/out, Bluetooth and wireless simultaneous connection | Weight : 338g | Battery Life: 30 hours (swappable batteries)

Smashing bass and audio quality
Intuitive and informative new Sonar parametric EQ
Comfortable, light, and highly adjustable
DAC is an amp and fast-charging spare battery dock
Noise cancellation for mic and ear cups
Can only skip or pause music with headset buttons over Bluetooth
Frightfully loud glitch noises when going out of range
AI noise canceling is a bit weak at the moment

SteelSeries' Arctis Nova Pro wireless gaming headset comes in with an entirely new design, a far cry from previous Arctis models. That's not just in terms of audio and quality of life features, but also style and overall craftsmanship. The Nova nomenclature comes from the Latin novus, meaning new. Appropriate for a gaming headset that manages to branch out into somewhat uncharted territory, though you'll be paying a premium for the privilege of gaming at the cutting edge. Think in the region of $350 (£330). 

In order to make that price worth it, SteelSeries' plan is to make the Arctis Nova Pro your 'everything' headset—not just the one you use for gaming. The real champion feature here is the multi-system connect feature, which lets you connect to two different devices via 2.4GHz wireless and Bluetooth simultaneously. The freedom to listen to a podcast on your cell while playing games on your PC, then switch off the Wi-Fi and walk out the door, listening uninterrupted, is kind of revolutionary for SteelSeries, though there are many out there that offer it. 

The Arctis Nova Pro's made even more portable with a pair of hot-swappable, lithium-ion batteries. These charge up in under an hour slotted into the side of the ESS Sabre Quad-DAC, or through USB Type-C charging cable connected to the headset. I've not had to plug in once in the month I've had it; I just swap the battery over when one's about to die, which takes a good two and a half days of full use. 

Perfect peripherals

czbNLcab5b3bWpSup92ZRH.jpg

(Image credit: Colorwave)

Best gaming mouse: the top rodents for gaming
Best gaming keyboard: your PC's best friend...
Best gaming headset: don't ignore in-game audio

The Nova pro beats out every headset on our list when it comes to quality of life features, but it's also a heck of a lot more expensive than your average wireless gaming headset. Still, the absolute torrent of functionality really has me wanting to recommend the Nova Pro.

The DAC for both the PlayStation and Xbox versions is well designed (each one's slightly different looking) and keeps a lot of these settings close at hand so you can switch them around in the game, without alt-tabbing out. On both, there's a 3.5mm line in and out, as well as two USB Type-C connections for a 'first in gaming' multi-system connection, so you can keep your PlayStation 5 and your PC connected at all times.

The Nova pro beats out every headset on our list when it comes to quality of life features, but it's also a heck of a lot more expensive than your average wireless gaming headset. here

Also, the DAC serves as a 96kHz/24-bit amplifier, similar to that of the Arctis Pro + which also touts a wide 10-40kHz frequency response. Coupled with the Sonar equalizer, the quality of the newly designed drivers becomes immensely clear. 

On the one hand, you could bag this super high-spec gaming headset that's been thoughtfully redesigned considering the successes and failures of previous generations; or you could essentially pay yourself $100 dollars to get a cheaper gaming headset, but forgo the utterly untethered, exemplary connectivity and sheer craftsmanship of the Nova Pro. Honestly, I'd rather blow the full $350, and screw the Nova Pro to my head for good.

Read our full SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro review.

Wireless gaming headset FAQ

How do you test wireless gaming headsets?

Many of the qualities you’re looking for from a wireless headset are the same you’d hope to find in any audio equipment—tone, build quality, and reliability leading the charge. As such, we listen to each review model while playing different genres of games, listening to music, and watching movies with bombastic sound effects and surround mixes—think less Werner Herzog, more Chris Nolan.

There are a few wireless-specific elements we need to test for, too: battery life, charge time, range, and latency. The former is pretty self-explanatory, though, in addition to an ‘everyday use’ battery life test, we also run the headset at full volume to discover how quickly the charge drains under those conditions. To ascertain charge time, we… well, we charge the headsets and note how long it takes.

Range and latency are trickier to test scientifically. However, having a pleasant walk around the house gives a good indication of range, and latency ultimately comes down to perception. After several days of use, we’re in an excellent place to make the call on a headset with all that taken into account.

Are wireless headphones okay for gaming?

There are some for whom nanoseconds do matter, or at least are perceived to, and they may wish to steer clear of wireless headphones, but for the majority of us, there is little problem with the best wireless gaming headsets today. 

Unless you connect via Bluetooth, however. That is the laggiest of current wireless connections, with a 2.4GHz wireless interface able to deliver the audio performance that won't get in the way of your game. 

Are wireless gaming headsets more expensive?

The sad fact is that you are likely to be paying a premium for a wireless version of any product. You have to factor in the extra design, the extra connectivity peripherals (the wireless dongle, etc.), and the fact you now have to have a battery.

Are wireless gaming headsets heavier than wired ones?

Generally, because of that added battery, you will find that a wireless version of a gaming headset will weigh slightly more than its wired equivalent. Taking the number two on the list, the Razer Blackshark V2 Pro weighs 42g more than the wired, non-Pro version.

View the full article