UnityHQ Mapping Contest

Attention Mappers! UnityHQ wants you!

We are in search of a new map to run on each our game servers! This means we need one for NOLF1, NOLF2 and Contract Jack. Once maps are submitted by the deadlines, they will be voted on by UnityHQ members as to which map they want to see running on a continuous basis. At least three maps have to be submitted for each game or that category will be pushed back to be judged at a later date.

REQUIREMENTS:

- All maps are to be Deathmatch.

- They have to use the following theme - Unity Headquarters

This means the maps will all have something to do with the actual Unity Headquarters in the game (not our website or forums). For example, they could be set in the basement, on the roof, in other buildings of the Unity Complex, various offices, the outside entrance and parking lot… just tie it in to the Headquarters somehow.

- Each map is to have hidden in separate places the five letters U-N-I-T-Y.

They cannot be somewhere obvious, like in a sign. They could be camouflaged in the textures or maybe in shape of objects… be creative and don't tell others where you hide them! It'll be fun to see who finds all the letters first when the maps are released.

- Don't make the map too large in both the size of the download and playing size. No one likes lag and we hope to have some fun competitions using these maps later on.

DEADLINES:

NOLF2 - Tuesday, September 27th

NOLF1 - Tuesday, October 31st **new extended deadline**

Contract JACK - Tuesday, November 28th **new extended deadline**

The dates are staggered in order to give those mappers who wish to submit more than one map time to work on the next. Details on the judging and downloading of the maps will be posted at a later date. Please go to the mapping section of the forums if you need technical help with your maps.

hehe good thing.... i cant this but i wish much fun for the others.

hmm... there are many good maps, i downloaded x00 MB, but nobody use the custom maps :-(

and maybe nextime unity makes a dd custom map contest. :-)

Good luck at all =)

hehe good thing.... i cant this but i wish much fun for  the others.

hmm... there are many good maps, i downloaded x00 MB, but nobody use the custom maps :-(

and maybe nextime unity makes a dd custom map contest. :-)

Good luck at all =)

9882[/snapback]

This is a custom map contest............ DD maps will happen next round wink.gif

The winner gets their map to run continuously on UnityHQ servers and heaps of praise on our forums. smile.gif

You can enter as many times as you wish, btw. If people want to work together that's perfectly fine too.

I'm going enter a map, after I finish it. Currently I haven't even started yet, but I have some general ideas floating around.

As you guys know I have released some crappy maps that didn't go to well. Well this time it will be a lot better.

10606[/snapback]

Welcome to UnityHQ Black-Rain I look foward to seeing your entry and those of everyone else who submits a map biggrin.gif

Is it a good idea to post a screenie of what I have made so far, because others may try to copy what I have made so far. I know theres not allot of time, but I have a idea of what i'm making. Sure I may need to work allot on the map, but I usually stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning.

Also, one thing I forgot to add, it probably isn't the best idea to have such a common theme. There are so many prefabs and textures for the Unity theme as it is. When all the entries come in, all of them will generally look the same. You should have far different themes that are not included in the game already. It would show much more creativitiy if you left the mapper with nothing really to start with, and to create their own textures. But either way, I am in.

Well of course, im not going to make something all ready in the game. (besides one part)

*P*S*- Im working on a custom prefab now, that could take 5-6 hours to finish.

10612[/snapback]

Cool look forward to seeing your Idea.

Skizzor there can be alot of ideas to the Unity theme of the contest ...... How about a map in the Unity Motor Pool garage? The Unity Gadget lab? The Medical Ward? for example.

Obviously there was more in the building than was actually shown in the SP version.

Yes, I am aware that there are several parts of Unity, but all of the textures are going to be used over and over again. Such as the blue and orange carpeting, the walls, etc. It is all going to look the same, only in different places.

Cool look forward to seeing your Idea.

Skizzor there can be alot of ideas  to the  Unity theme of the contest ...... How about a map in the Unity Motor Pool garage? The Unity Gadget lab? The Medical Ward? for example.

Obviously there was more in the building than was actually shown in the SP version.

10613[/snapback]

Thanks Elite, im sure you will.

Creativity is important, so I'm sure not everyone will use the same prefabs, not if they want their map to win. We're sticking to the theme and it'll be very interesting to see what people do with it. It's a challenge I know some of you will do excellent at.

Two months seemed like a good amount of time... experienced mapmakers were asked regarding the time allowed and had no issue with it. Anything longer and people would forget/lose interest or put it off till the last minute. Also, after this contest is done for a while I'm sure we'll do a DD map contest if enough people are interested.

Post screenshots if you wish, or keep it all a surprise, it's up to you. There's no guarantee someone will not copy you if you show what you're doing but it could be interesting for us to have a sneak peek. biggrin.gif