Modernizer in WinXP causes crash

The game "NOLF v1.004 GOTY" (English) runs without any problems on my WinXP. But when I try to use the "Modernizer", the game crashes while starting level 1 (returning to Windows desktop without any failure message).

Maybe someone had a similar problem and can give me a hint to solve this issue. Thanks in advance. Otherwise I will still be happy to play this great game without the Modernizer. ?

Further information:

• I tried "Modernizer 1.005 Patch 1", "Modernizer 1.005 Patch 2" and "Modernizer 1.006 Patch 3.1". All with the same crash result.
  • There are no other mods or language packs installed. Just the patches included in the GOTY edition download (1.004, no CD crack, widescreen support).
  • No widescreen needed. I prefer the screen ratio 4:3.
  • WinXP is 32 bit, Service Pack 2. My PC hardware is good enough to run NOLF (without Modernizer) at full graphic settings without any frame rate drops.
  • Installation of the Modernizer ("Custom" folder) and starting it with the launcher ("Advanced --> Customize") causes no problems. In the title screen I get the Jukebox, the framerate lock to 60 FPS and other Modernizer options.
  • I can start a game, get the mission briefing and see the loading screen. At the beginning of level 1 (Training at HQ) the game crashes, when it usually should start the intro video (truck in snow, spy gets shot). Same result when I try to load a previous game save, which I played without Modernizer.

Not sure if the modernizer was tested with Windows XP as it has been end of life by Microsoft for several years now. 

I would assume Jake made the modernizer to work with Windows 10 and newer hardware specifically. 

NOLF Goty was made around the Windows XP era so should run fine on it without the need for the modernizer. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply, Eliteone. If the Modernizer doesn't support WinXP, then I have no chance to scale the HUD elements, show the framerate and reduce mouse stutter. I will enjoy NOLF anyway, which is in my list of greatest games of all time.

EDIT:
I just found an info about "NolfRevival version will not load 1.006 - Modernizer" on https://www.spawnsite.net/index.php?foresporsel=various&&vis=nolf_install&&article=modernizer
Unfortunately the suggested solution doesn't work for me. But maybe this can help other users with a similar problem.

Edited by Max24

Thanks for your suggestion, orion98. I have deleted "D3DIM700.dll" from my game folder, but the game still crashes while starting level 1, if the "Modernizer" is turned on.

Deleting "D3DIM700.dll" just solves a different problem "Couldn't set D3D Emulation mode". This error message appears after the launcher and while loading the title screen. Details can be found in my thread "Problem "Couldn't set D3D Emulation mode" on WinXP [Solved]".

I dust off my old Windows XP computer ... :)

The very first version of the MODERNIZER mod from Jake runs on Windows XP, it's called "Lithfixb mod"
There is no music box and multiplayer, but a fix for the mouse and screen works and there is also support for a wide screen.
Download NOLF_LithFix_for_WindowsXP.zip  here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9j6cdfs4k1bio80/NOLF_LithFix_for_WindowsXP.zip/file

You must first install "Microsoft Visual C ++ Visual studio 2015-2019", otherwise there will be an error "No file MSVCP140.dll"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
It is also advisable to install the latest “DirectX 9” (Jun 2010)

You can find the source files for "Lithfixb mod" on the Jake website

Edited by orion98
  • reaction_title_2 1

Thank you very, very much for your efforts, orion98 ?. Unfortunately neither the Modernizer nor both LithFix Beta's are working until now. But I will keep trying, because there are still a few things I can do, before I give up. Thanks for pointing out that LithFix is a possible alternative to Modernizer; I wouldn't have known that without your help.

So far I have followed your post considering the two LithFix Beta versions and also the NOLF_Multilingual_GUI_Widescreen_Modernizer, but there was no success. ?

Now I see that you have deleted that post, dust off your WinXP and give new recommendations in your updated post. The LithFix_for_WinXP.zip from Mediafire doesn't work for me out of the box. So I am currently trying to update my DirectX 9.0c to 9.29 (June 2010). In order to do so it seems that I have to update some DLL's which might be part of Visual C++ oder .Net Framework.

The .Net Framework 4.0 and 4.03 are successfully installed, which are the latest versions working on WinXP (i.e. version 4.8 is not supported). The "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015-2019" makes problems during installation, so I will try "Visual C++ Redistributable 2015" (currently I have "Visual C++ Redistributable 2012" which never caused any problems). Hopefully this leads to the installation of DirectX 9.29 (June 2010), as my current version is DirectX SDK (also from June 2010).

I am going to post my progress and results in the next days.

EDIT: Another thing I want to check: Is my "NOLF v1.004 GOTY with widescreen support" the same as "WidescreenGOTY" mentioned by Jake on his LithFix website (quote "This uses the WidescreenGOTY patch as a base"). Not sure if this might be the root of my problems. ?

Edited by Max24

"Lithfixb mod" is not a good solution. MODERNIZER is much better, of course.
If you delete the OBJECT.LTO file from the MODERNIZER.REZ mod then you can load the level and go through several missions, but then the game will still crash.
I removed OBJECT.LTO from MODERNIZER.REZ mod. You can download this “test mod” and install on Windows XP
TEST_NOLF_Modernizer_WinXP.zip  18Mb
https://www.upload.ee/files/12728333/TEST_NOLF_Modernizer_WinXP.zip.html

• Like 1

The Modernizer ist working! ? You make me really happy, orion98. Thanks a lot for your extensive help and all the time you invested! ? 
I see the framerate count, and there is no mouse stutter.

After downloading and installing your file "TEST_NOLF_Modernizer_WinXP.zip" the level 1 starts and plays the cutscene. I will play some missions and try to find out, if the game will crash later (as you mentioned).

I am just curious: Does someone know the purpose of the deleted file "Object.lto"? It should be there for some reason.

Edited by Max24

MODERNIZER.REZ contains new version of OBJECT.LTO
Older versions of OBJECT.LTO are located in the game folder, in the REZ files.

Jake probably made a MODERNIZER on a Windows 10 system for Windows 10 users
Errors occur on other systems:
The MODERNIZER mod loads and works fine on Windows 7, but after the game ends, the error message “Client MFS Application error” appears.
MODERNIZER mod loads but doesn't work on Windows XP system you know.

Jake is also aware of these issues. Perhaps he will fix this in newer versions MODERNIZER.

The source files of the MODERNIZER project for NOLF are here:
https://github.com/haekb/nolf1-modernizer

Edited by orion98

I have tried playing some missions with your "TEST_NOLF_Modernizer_WinXP.zip". As you already mentioned, the game crashes at random occasions (without any failure message). For example when a shot misses the target, then the game crashes, so it is almost unplayable.

The following software was updated:
* DirectX 9.29 (2010-06, latest version working on WinXP)
* Visual C++ for Visual Studio 2015-2019 (V14.28.29325)
* .Net Framework 4.0 and 4.03 (latest versions working on WinXP)
Problems still happen, so my previous software versions were not the cause of the failure.

Now I will try different combinations of the Modernizer versions and various "Object.LTO" files. I extract these "Object.LTO" files from various REZ files, by using LithRez.exe included in the NOLFTools. Then I combine the extracted file with the Modernizer files and create a new "Modernizer_Max.REZ" using LithRez.exe

Install Windows 7 SP1, then you will solve all problems. :)

For example official versions Windows 7 SP1
[x64]
en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677651.iso
SHA1:  a491f985dccfb5863f31b728dddbedb2ff4df8d1

or [x86]
en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_677710.iso
SHA1:  4e0450ac73ab6f9f755eb422990cd9c7a1f3509c

Also Language Pack (if needed)
[x64]
language-packs-mu_windows_7_sp1_language_pack_x64_dvd_619714.iso
SHA1:  7cd1fe568d968d89792dc9ff20e9af2b318995c2

or [x86]

language-packs-mu_windows_7_sp1_language_pack_x86_dvd_619716.iso
SHA1:  e9261433ff5ccaca818328a9bdbbed3f21a6405e

https://soft.uclv.edu.cu/Microsoft/Microsoft.Windows.7/

Faster server:

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (with Service Pack 1) MSDN Original X64 VL (English)
SHA-1: a491f985dccfb5863f31b728dddbedb2ff4df8d1
http://188.138.9.242/Windows%207/Eng/en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677651.iso

or [x86]

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (with Service Pack 1) MSDN Original X86 VL (English)
SHA-1: 4e0450ac73ab6f9f755eb422990cd9c7a1f3509c
http://188.138.9.242/Windows%207/Eng/en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_677710.iso

"Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise VL"  keys you can buy on ebay or Amazon for $10 ... $30 or activate with free Activator "KMSAuto Lite Portable v1.5.6"

+ It is advisable to install the official update KB4012212 (protection against WannaCry virus)

Edited by orion98
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation. But I mostly play old games for WinXP and DOS, therefore I don't want to change to Win7.

I had no success trying to combine the different Modernizer versions and the "Object.LTO" from various REZ files. Either NOLF crashes while starting a level, or the game crashes at random occasions (for example when a shot misses the target).

I give up to search for a solution. Anyway I will enjoy playing NOLF ?, but without scaling the HUD elements, showing the framerate and reducing mouse stutter. Again thanks for your help, orion98.

On 1/12/2021 at 6:50 PM, Max24 said:

I had no success trying to combine the different Modernizer versions and the "Object.LTO" from various REZ files. Either NOLF crashes while starting a level, or the game crashes at random occasions (for example when a shot misses the target).

If I'm not mistaken, Objects.lto contains most objects in the game. from AI reactions to hinged door behavior etc. The modernizer one is built with VS2019 and probably needs the 2015 or newer c++ redist update to work.. (untested, Hey Jake would know for sure)

when you load the modernizer, or any update/mod that contains a version of objects.lto then file version in the last rez loaded is the one that the game will use. The others will be ignored by the engine.

Oh, the great master Spawn himself replies. Thank you for the explanation. ?

I have "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015-2019 (V14.28.29325)", so this shouldn't cause any problems.

Okay, I understand that loading any file included in a .REZ overwrites the previous versions of that file in memory. No matter if the previous file is an older or newer version of that file. I think it is not worth the efforts to search and repair the file in the Modernizer, which causes my problem on WinXP. In fact I am just one of only a few WinXP users, so save your time for more important things.

All in all I am happy that I can play this amazing game ?. The scaled HUD, the framerate display and the reduced mouse stutter would have been a "nice to have", but not really important to spend any more time on this issue. Thanks again to all who helped me.