How to play NOLF 1 multiplayer once Gamespy takes their master server offline May 2014

We have a resourceful community. :fit:

URA has come up with a tool and we've added NOLF 1 to the UHQ master server we are hosting.

To play NOLF1 multiplayer after May 2014 simply visit our downloads HERE and pick up the multiplayer launcher by URA

woohoo!, another classic game's Multiplayer live-span saved thanks to our modding community! :fit:

Edited by Clonest

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! Now I just have to adapt this to my Linux server so hirnschwund.net NOLF will rise again (:

FYI: I see that Qtracker (http://www.qtracker.com/master-gamespy.php) is starting to emulate the Gamespy servers at least as far as the server listings go. I don't know if that is going to make things easier or more complicated for the remaining NOLF 1 multiplayer folks.

FYI: I see that Qtracker (http://www.qtracker.com/master-gamespy.php) is starting to emulate the Gamespy servers at least as far as the server listings go. I don't know if that is going to make things easier or more complicated for the remaining NOLF 1 multiplayer folks.

From what I understand from their method you create a modification to the servers host (Windows or Linux) hosts file (or the Linux equivalent) To tell it to point Gamespy requests to the QTracker server.

We do a similar thing except URA made a server and multi-player launcher so if you don't have access or don't want to mess with the host file etc. The programs URA made do it for you.

As does the NOLF2 and Contract Jack launchers.

They point the games to the UHQ master server we're running for all 3 games.

Wow, thank you so much for finding that! It looks and works just like GameSpy with just few few host file entries :)

Now that we've got 2 new great Nolf 1 server browsers to choose from, nobody needs you anymore GameSpy :P

but thank you for giving us so many years of good Nolf memories!

From what I understand from their method you create a modification to the servers host (Windows or Linux) hosts file (or the Linux equivalent) To tell it to point Gamespy requests to the QTracker server.

We do a similar thing except URA made a server and multi-player launcher so if you don't have access or don't want to mess with the host file etc. The programs URA made do it for you.

As does the NOLF2 and Contract Jack launchers.

They point the games to the UHQ master server we're running for all 3 games.

Nice. I didn't realize that Qtracker was pointing to the UHQ master server. At least having two appswon't fragment the tiny NOLF multiplayer base. :)

Wow, thank you so much for finding that! It looks and works just like GameSpy with just few few host file entries :)

Now that we've got 2 new great Nolf 1 server browsers to choose from, nobody needs you anymore GameSpy :P

but thank you for giving us so many years of good Nolf memories!

Those hosting the NOLF 1 servers have to make the edits to to use the QTracker method. The program made by URA has the server send it's heartbeat to our master server.

The problem with the QTracker method is if you commercially host your gameservers you won't have access to make or modify a hosts file.

QTracker seems to publish a list of Nolf 1 servers registered with them here:

http://www.qtracker.com/server_lists/noonelivesforever.txt

Maybe they could be combined at least on the client side to show both UnityHQ and QTracker master

lists. It would be the best of both worlds :D !

But it's already June and GameSpy still seems to be working. Maybe they were just kidding

about shutting everything off ...

• 3 weeks later...

They already list my hirnschwund.net server, didn't even realize that. If only I had more time to play... :3

I guess I will point my server to the UHQ master server as soon as I can, if QTracker picks that up anyway, there's nothing wrong with that :)

They already list my hirnschwund.net server, didn't even realize that. If only I had more time to play... :3

I guess I will point my server to the UHQ master server as soon as I can, if QTracker picks that up anyway, there's nothing wrong with that :)

Message me your server IP and port and I can manually add you to the UHQ master list.

qtracker lists your server because qtracker gets its information from GameSpy server. When and if GameSpy goes down, qtracker will no longer lists your server unless you use one of the methods to add it to qtracker master server.

I am using qtracker and I plan on keep using its master server when and if GameSpy goes down, since I run my servers in my own computer and I have access to the host file. I have even made a mapshot pack for qtracker that covers the maps that I use.

This is a screenshot of my server being accessed remotely. Note how cute qtracker is ...:)

http://i.imgur.com/pAdSrRt.png

qtracker lists your server because qtracker gets its information from GameSpy server. When and if GameSpy goes down, qtracker will no longer lists your server unless you use one of the methods to add it to qtracker master server.

I am using qtracker and I plan on keep using its master server when and if GameSpy goes down, since I run my servers in my own computer and I have access to the host file. I have even made a mapshot pack for qtracker that covers the maps that I use.

This is a screenshot of my server being accessed remotely. Note how cute qtracker is ... :)

http://i.imgur.com/pAdSrRt.png

I've added all the NOLF 1 servers I saw up to the UHQ master as well.

N1serverliist.jpg

• 1 month later...

woohoo!, another classic game's Multiplayer live-span saved thanks to our modding community! :fit:

If you can really call whatever is left of the "life-span" to be considered "saving" it. But a few days ago I looked at the official server list and there was one person in one of the servers, so they are apparently still working, as Contract Jill said.

Edit: Apparently that was the last day or so.

Edited by CoLdOwN

• 4 weeks later...

As soon as I click the game the server thing pops up and I can't get the normal launch menu to pop up...how can I get my custom maps to work cus right now they're not showing up anymore :(

You would either need to do the qtracker workaround or install the launcher from our downloads. Since gamespy is no longer around.

I'm sorry I'm not really sure what the workaround is I just want my .rez files to load when I click on a server like "The Funny Branch" lol
I was able to get the launch menu up and click the customization option but that didn't help when I went to enter that server. XD

I'm sorry I'm not really sure what the workaround is I just want my .rez files to load when I click on a server like "The Funny Branch" lol

I was able to get the launch menu up and click the customization option but that didn't help when I went to enter that server. XD

If the server was running a map you didn't have then you wouldn't be able to get into the server.

If the server was running a map you didn't have then you wouldn't be able to get into the server.

I have the maps though, that's what I'm saying. but with this server mod I can't seem to play any of them. if you go into the NOLF folder on you comp you should have 2 icons, one that says "NOLF" and another that says "Old_NOLF" if I click "NOLF" it brings up the server mod and will allow me to join any game that is just playing the original maps if I check what maps I have from there it's only the original maps.

But If I click "Old_NOLF" I have my other maps again but obviously I can't join an online game from this so I'm not sure what to do LOL I hope that made more sense >.<

I have the maps though, that's what I'm saying. but with this server mod I can't seem to play any of them. if you go into the NOLF folder on you comp you should have 2 icons, one that says "NOLF" and another that says "Old_NOLF" if I click "NOLF" it brings up the server mod and will allow me to join any game that is just playing the original maps if I check what maps I have from there it's only the original maps.

But If I click "Old_NOLF" I have my other maps again but obviously I can't join an online game from this so I'm not sure what to do LOL I hope that made more sense >.<

I don't understand what you mean by "Old_NOLF" and "NOLF" folders.. After you install NOLF, you should have one and only one installation folder, usually named No One Lives Forever, usually inside a folder named Fox, and you should have one icon in your desktop to start the game, a shortcut to the file NOLF.exe.

I run the server "The Funny Branch" and as far as I know it is working fine. You do need to have the REZ file with the custom maps set up to be able to join this server since it runs only custom maps. You can find the REZ file in many places, unityhq.net included, but I also have it available in my "Notes" page (find the link in the first section: "Custom Servers").

I also have just finished my NOLF Server Status page, a way to know if there is anyone online playing NOLF. It is meant to be view in smartphones... :-

Oh, also, I suggest that,if you have not done it yet, you do the "host file modification" as explained in the qtracker website. You do not need to add all those lines to your host file, just add two of them, these ones:

65.112.87.186 master.gamespy.com

65.112.87.186 master0.gamespy.com

and you are good to go, which means you will be able to see all NOLF servers from inside the game itself, no need for a 3rd party application to join.

Edited by rookie

I do have the REZ files!

I'm not going to try to explain the "NOLF" and "Old_NOLF" thing cus it's confusing but I'm just saying that with URA's launcher I can't use the REZ files I have. I know I have the files to play on your server (for the most part) but I can't seem to use it with this launcher

....now for visuals!!! :D

4rdu7c.jpg

2l9k1w7.jpg

I'll try doing the qtracker thing and see if that solves my problem though

You could load a custom map rez file via the command line. Or by adding it to the nolfcmds.txt file.

It's already in the txt file :/ and the command line doesn't seem to be doing it either >.<*
but the qtracker way worked so that's good :) Thank you so much for helping me, sorry if I was confusing lol

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines Privacy Policy.