Player "rankings"

Eliteone

Looking for some opinions on this one do you feel that player ranking engines (such as Csports) affect gameplay?

Especially in Team Play like Doomsday in Nolf 2

After I get some feedback I'll elaborate why I posted this.

I think that if people are sitting inside a base just to rack up points and to up their rankings, then none of the rankings should be taken seriously. The fact that someone would care so much for a rank in a game, enough to go out of your way and play unfairly, is ridiculous. Is there a way to stop "Csports" from tracking stats?

Agreed, I think some do play for points.

No matter, same guns are available to everyone, base camping can build up victim's skill...The only problem I see is if someone cheats to make easy points...

Also, it doesn't seem accurate at all...

I noticed a lot more prolonged base camping since CSports,

I don't know about anyone else but I find it totally boring no matter which side I'm on, an even balanced game is much more fun.

Cool avatar E1..........is dat u?

Also, it doesn't seem accurate at all...

384[/snapback]

Ya, that too! Sometimes I go and I look at my playing time for the last day and it's in the nagatives! I learned in science that negative time is impossible.

oki about Csports...i remember the first time i heard about it...i was already ranked 19...so my goal was to get number 1...no matter what i did...but now if u look back...u r right...when it came about...it just brought more ppl makin hte game un-fun...

and the ranks r very far off...sometimes it doesnt even record u playing for one day...sometimes u can play for 5 minutes on one map and get maybe 20 points...and it says u got 200 points for that day...

mainly the ppl in first r the ones that spend the most time playing nolf...it doesnt really get judged by skill...so i think it is irrelevant...

oki about Csports...i remember the first time i heard about it...i was already ranked 19...so my goal was to get number 1...no matter what i did...but now if u look back...u r right...when it came about...it just brought more ppl makin hte game un-fun...

and the ranks r very far off...sometimes it doesnt even record u playing for one day...sometimes u can play for 5 minutes on one map and get maybe 20 points...and it says u got 200 points for that day...

mainly the ppl in first r the ones that spend the most time playing nolf...it doesnt really get judged by skill...so i think it is irrelevant...

608[/snapback]

To be honest: The time Csports begun I wanted to be nr 1 (well I was tongue.gif) but I was base "camping" a lot more then normal.blush.gif But some times even when I didn't play I got ranks up. But I now dont care about it, I think it would better if they stopped it, the base camping would get lesser. (I change to the loosing team anyway)

You have to play a lot.

You can't change name.

You have to play in server who accept Csports ( I remember at the beginning only SFI servers accepted this ranking )

You should use AK or Rockets, Can play for fun with nanas and swords.

=====arrow.png NO FUN NO USE

Actually I always thouhgt that this ranking stuff is just plain waste of webspace closedeyes.gif

And I still do...rankings take the fun out of the game and come on..it's a computer game, I can see how good I am while playing it. Why should I need a ranking system like csports (which is actually not even good tongue.gif )...

Agreed!

I dislike CSPORTS, it's nice that they try to do those ranking things, but they are waaaaaaaaaay off. Many people on that list don't deserve to even be on there...I don't like how I have to keep the same name, that's so Blah. They should count for the Computers IP address. But still, that person could be AFK in a server for like 5 hrs, or making their own Server, and leave it there for a long time while they play another game or whatever.

he is way off the list now...dont worry...

but i think they r worthless unless they can find a way to make the positions decided by average kills/ time...but u cant make it to top unless u have a certain amount of minutes already...so rookies dont hop straight to top...

Like most things in life, CSports should be taken with a grain of salt. The Rankings are based on "time" and "score". The stats are not always up to date and NONE are written in stone. CSports was started long ago..................back when Nolf1 popular, long before COD or Contract Jack..............the methods used for scoring were "OFF" then and still are now! If you like to see your name In Lights then go to CSports.........If you like to play the game................don't. And thanks for your support smile.gif

Like most things in life, CSports should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ha ha. You seem to take a lot of things with salt Belgaron. Better cut down, it's not good for your heart. Anyway...

Firstly, CSports is terribly slow. Hate that site. Anyway, personally I don't care about the rankings. I don't need some silly website to tell me I'm the best player there is. I know it and so do all of you aikido.gif I do think that ratings can encourage base rapping but if some loser did it so much they became #1 then we would all know that was the only reason they were there. Also then all we would have to do is start threatening to ban them from the servers for excessive base 'storming'. Their rating would soon drop if they can't get into a server. That said - we should all know better than base 'storming'.

That said, I don't think it's a bad idea if the rankings are there. It gives some people a reason to play more and also it can keep people coming back. Now true CSports is a terrible representation of the game but if some other website wink.gif decided to check the known servers for ratings, then I don't think it would be a bad idea if we could control it more. If only there was some other website with one of it's admins considering this... Hoo-hum....

Elite, if that wasn't what you were thinking of - pretend it was! Makes me look less of a muppet.

haha...ya she still hasnt come on here and said wat she wanted to do...i was thinkin 1 of 2 things...

1)...either make it so Csports cant read the nolf servers anymore (however u do that)

or

2)...exactly wat leasy said...start a new site and monitor stuff differently...

Personally I think if EliteOne is going to do this it would be totally different from CSports. Everyone knows that CSports does not accurately portray the NOLF servers. If we did one ourselves we could make sure it reads the right servers, calculates points in a way we believe to be fair etc.

As for whether or not it's possible, I believe so. Not 100% sure how it would be done but I'm guessing when a page is loaded, it will check each server in it's list of servers to check and download what I guess would be the server log. From this it may be able to retrieve scores etc. Guess we need to take a look at what data the server keeps track of and publishes.

Well it should be to hard to make...

lots of public servers in cod have their own stats, wich go for one server only.

they calculate kill death ratio's and killingspree's mostly plus the number of maps u got it on, and out of those they somehow calculate a skill number and rank players by it ohmy.gif