NOLF2 Intall Issue - Win7 64bit

I came across my NOLF2 cds while cleaning out my basement over the weekend and for whatever reason, I really want to replay that gem. The problem is that I can't get this to install on either one of my Windows 7 (64bit) machines.

On both computers I get an error almost immediately after clicking the "setup" program - "The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed - The system cannot find the file specified"

I've tried running "setup" with admin rights and in various compatibility modes with no luck. If I use Win98 compatibility mode the ikernel problem seems to go away, but the installer then fails when the program "ppi" crashes with a generic windows error.

The next thing I tried was extracting the cab files from the CD manually and seeing if the game would run... and that *seemed* to have worked, but when I try to run the "lithtech.exe" file, nothing happens... it simply dies. I also noticed that I don't seem to have the nolf2.exe/launcher file... so I"m not 100% sure the data extraction worked.

I've done some googling but this doesn't seem to be all that common of a problem... and people seem to be running NOLF2 in Win7 all over...so I'm not really sure where to go here.

*Really* hoping someone can offer some suggestions... :(

I was able to get this up and running, but I seem to be missing sound effects... no ambient sounds, no voices in game or during cutscenes, no gunshots or enemy vocalizations, etc...

Digging through the threads on this now...

Turns out I simply needed the 1.3 patch. Simple fix.

My original install issue looks like it was an issue with my old CDs. I tried downloading the CD .zip files from the downloads section here and was able to install from those with no issues.

• 3 months later...

I am trying to get NOLF2 to work with Win7x64 as well - no dice, despite trying all the tips I could find. It's installed and patched, but when I go to run it, I only get as far as the screen to choose low, medium, or high detail. Once I do that, it fails to load further.

I thought I'd try XP mode - anyone try that successfully?

I did the install there, but it doesn't recognize that I have the CD in the drive. ? try the "no-CD" version?

Thoughts?

I am trying to get NOLF2 to work with Win7x64 as well - no dice, despite trying all the tips I could find. It's installed and patched, but when I go to run it, I only get as far as the screen to choose low, medium, or high detail. Once I do that, it fails to load further.

I thought I'd try XP mode - anyone try that successfully?

I did the install there, but it doesn't recognize that I have the CD in the drive. ? try the "no-CD" version?

Thoughts?

Does it throw an error when it fails to load?

You can certainly use compatibility mode (XP) to run it as well.

No error - simply does nothing.

I'm trying XP mode - the problem I'm having there is that it tells me that directx 8 needs to be installed. I actually installed it from within XP mode, and dxdiag shows that v9 is installed, but the game won't launch because it thinks directx hasn't been installed.

Any suggestions, on either way of trying to get this to work? I'd prefer just doing it through Win7, but that has been a non-starter.

No error - simply does nothing.

I'm trying XP mode - the problem I'm having there is that it tells me that directx 8 needs to be installed. I actually installed it from within XP mode, and dxdiag shows that v9 is installed, but the game won't launch because it thinks directx hasn't been installed.

Any suggestions, on either way of trying to get this to work? I'd prefer just doing it through Win7, but that has been a non-starter.

It won't run from XP mode as that VM doesn't meet the T and L requirements to run the game.

A little more information on your PC, version of Windows 7 (Home, Professional etc) what Anti-Virus solution you're using may shed some light.

Also what are you installing it from (CD etc.)

I'd exclude the c:\Program Files (x86) Fox folder from your AV client. (For testing purposes)

Does your Windows event logs contain anything about the lithtech.exe?

I tried excluding the folder from AV protection - no change.

I looked in the event viewer - don't have much experience using that, but I couldn't find anything on lithtech.exe, under any heading.

On the task manager, lithtech.exe *32 shows up after I run NOLF2, and simply hangs - NOLF2 rapidly disappears from the "applications" section of the task manager, but the lithtech.exe continues to show up under "processes."

I tried excluding the folder from AV protection - no change.

I looked in the event viewer - don't have much experience using that, but I couldn't find anything on lithtech.exe, under any heading.

On the task manager, lithtech.exe *32 shows up after I run NOLF2, and simply hangs - NOLF2 rapidly disappears from the "applications" section of the task manager, but the lithtech.exe continues to show up under "processes."

Are you patched up to the latest version?

At this point I'd probably suggest uninstall it, grabbing the media from our downloads and installing it. That or copy it over from your XP VM and the import the registry settings. (Assuming your XP one tries to launch)

Which files should I download and install? The files from the CDs, or the "noCD" version? Should I patch up to v1.3?

You could start with the NO CD. If it fails to start then grab all the files from the downloads, install and patch it up to 1.3. Then grab the Livesforever mod too

• 2 weeks later...

That did the trick. Funny, I had used the "no CD" download with the files from the original CD, and that didn't work. Not sure what the difference is between the files you guys have and those on the original CD, but that's what made the difference. Didn't need to run it under compatibility mode either - just disabled the hardware sound option. Seems to be running without a hitch, music and all.

Thanks for your help - that's one of my favorite games.

That did the trick. Funny, I had used the "no CD" download with the files from the original CD, and that didn't work. Not sure what the difference is between the files you guys have and those on the original CD, but that's what made the difference. Didn't need to run it under compatibility mode either - just disabled the hardware sound option. Seems to be running without a hitch, music and all.

Thanks for your help - that's one of my favorite games.

The NO-CD is for the patched version 1.3 ;)

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I didn't want to start new same topic, so I write here. I have problems starting my NOLF2. I'm on Win7 Ultimate. I tried everything you mentioned in all "how to start" threads and no luck.

I tried running on administrator mode, both nolf2 and lightech. Always hourglass on Windows spinning and then nothing (beside showing on task manager for few seconds and then disappear). Once my display went black and I managed to see few startup movies and then it crashed and nothing again...

I can't ownload any of your stuff here.

Please help as I am really desperate to play the game from my youth ;)

Oh, thank you very much! :)

Yes, I tried all. Compatibility on Win 2000, switching administrator on/off.

Maybe I'll download the game from here (I read there are some different files on original cd and here) and then what? Download patch 1.3 and nocd? Mod? Is there an order in installing?

PS If there are diffiulties unerstanding me, sorry, English is not my native language.

EDIT: I've installed game downloaded from this site and it worked! Thanks!

Edited by Daga

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

alright, brining this one back from the dead as i couldn't find a concrete solution online for the "i have music but no voice, sfx issue".

In the last week i've been trying to play nolf2 on my windows 7 64-bit machine.

I installed from the CD; I have my OS on a SSD and i placed the game on my HDD.

Patched to 1.3 and loaded the game. Everything works except hte voices and sfx so couple days of research i keep hearing fro nolf2 and tron 2.0 players that the nimo codec could be the root of the problem

So i downloaded Nimo50 and installed it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Nimo-Codec-Pack.shtml

Sound effects and music works now. Game is running good.

Looking at my codec list it seems the usual l3codeca.acm is the one thing that needs to be reinstalled.

ACM Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (decode only) 0055 l3codeca.acm 1.9.0.401

So either install the nimo build or find a way to reinstall l3codeca.acm after the game is installed

Hope that helps others.