Having problems with the first NOLF game

I made this thread because I need a serious help with my NOLF game, I have installed the game again after I've formatted my computer, and now I have problems with starting the game. Whenever I start the application, it runs and offers me the features of the game, whether I'd choose the average performance or the high quality performance, it's running the liltech application in DOS mode, and then a message is popping up, saying that "no game resources are found". It's really awkward, but I need your help, please. Thank you.

I've previously had all the NOLF series (the first two games, and then Contract JACK), but I lost them anyway. So, in the "downloads" section on this website, I've downloaded the two NOLF games, and tried to install them. Windows 7 is the one I'm using currently and many older games aren't working at all. NOLF showed me the installing problem in the first place, and afterwards, I decided to transport the data back to my old computer which I formatted it a month ago (means I've lost all the old data I had on my hardware), I've installed the first NOLF game and it worked successfully, I needed a "NO CD" patch file, downloaded it, and then copied it over the launcher application and replaced it. It's been installed successfully on Windows XP for which I later copied it on Windows 7, on my other computer. I've launched the application and it worked well, but when I chose to play with either "high quality performance" or "average quality performance", it's resulting in the same issue, a DOS window is showing up and sending me a message that tells "No Game Resources Specified". I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Edited by JamesBond

If you have 64.bit Windows 7 you might want to try the 32 bit installer we have for it in our downloads section.

This seems to me that it didn't all install correctly. Perhaps due to bold using a 16 bit installer.

Having troubles with downloads this time. The first time it succeeded downloading 97% of the file, but the connection dropped afterwards for some reason. I tried several times downloading again, but an "error" page is showing up and telling me I have to complete the first download to do another one, meanwhile, I wasn't even downloading anything.

Clear your browser cache etc. then try again.

I've checked the download logs and noticed you are using Chrome 23.0.1271

Please check to see if it is finishing the downloads as I show repeated downloads of the same file.

I'm sorry for disturbing you repeatedly, but this time, the file ain't completing the download, after doing 98% of the progress, it's quickly being terminated, without accomplishing the task. Isn't that weird?

I'm sorry for disturbing you repeatedly, but this time, the file ain't completing the download, after doing 98% of the progress, it's quickly being terminated, without accomplishing the task. Isn't that weird?

Since no one else is having download problems can you try it in another browser?

James Bond, I think I MIGHT have a fix for you. Trying to install the regular (non-goty) nolf, I was having the same issues. After I found (or perhaps) downloaded the GOTY disks, I had no issues with installing and playing the game again. I'm in the process of uploading the disks to be put on the website at the moment for those who have their disks but are not currently working. Eliteone should be receiving the disks soon.

Thanks, BlackRain. However, I succeeded in downloading the 32 bit, now, yet another error occurred. This time, the DOS window message is telling me "Error Copying file cshell.dll". I find it quite disturbing. However, I'll be waiting for the new uploads. Thank you.

If you use the search at the top of the forum and search for Cshell.dll you will find several

Topics on it with solutions to the error.

The most common is the files didn't copy over from the media correctly.

I'd advise reinstalling by right clicking the setup.exe file and selecting the run ad administrator option.

Did not work at all. I tried to re-install the "cshell.dll" files in each proper folder every computer expert recommended me about, and it still failed. Looks like NOLF will never work on my computer.

Did not work at all. I tried to re-install the "cshell.dll" files in each proper folder every computer expert recommended me about, and it still failed. Looks like NOLF will never work on my computer.

One alternative method is to setup Nolf on a Win XP machine and copy the folder over to the Win 7 machine. You can then export the registry settings from the xp machine to the win 7 machine ( making the file path edits etc as needed) there is a topic on how to do that in the Nolf. 1 technical help section.

Did you have the NOLF media previously or did you obtain it from our downloads?

Post a screenshot your system spec (right-click computer icon, go to properties)

Should look similar to mine (though I am using Windows 8)

sysspecs.jpg

However, I used my other computer to "install" NOLF and the rest of the "installers" and transported them to my Win7 PC via USB flash drive. It didn't work at all. Not here, and not there.

Edited by JamesBond

However, I used my other computer to "install" NOLF and the rest of the "installers" and transported them to my Win7 PC via USB flash drive. It didn't work at all. Not here, and not there.

If you copy the Nolf folder over you have to also export the registry entries from the old machine and import to your new machine. I'm on my IPAD at the moment so I don't have them handy. If you search the forum here I've posted them before under the how to get Nolf to run on Windows Vista/7.

You have to male sure the entries are added based upon x86 or x64 (in 64 bit like you have it should go to the program files(x86) fox\nolf folder.

I'll check to see if you found the entries later. If you didn't I'll post them for you then.

I have downloaded those "Windows XP" virtual modes and none of the updates are "applicable" to my computer. It's really odd, it's not installing anything. I have created a "nolf.reg" file, though. It's not helping. We're back to the cshell.dll problem.

Does your nolf.reg file contain:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\No One Lives Forever]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\No One Lives Forever\1.0]
"WorkingDirectory"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Fox\\No One Lives Forever"
"Version"="1.004"
"Update Command Line"="-rez Nolfu003.rez -rez Nolfcres003.rez -rez nolfu004.rez"
"Content Version"="1.002"
"Content Command Line"="-rez Nolfc001.rez -rez Nolfc002.rez"

Also are you elevating it when you run it (right-click run as administrator)