Ok I have a router. I used to be able to by pass it and connect right into our cable modem but im not allowed to do that anymore. My server will show up in the sever list but wont respone when you click on it. Please tell me if there is way to get by this!!!

-Cola

check to see if the router has a firewall. If it does you need to open the port for the nolf 2 server to work

Ok I have a LinkSys Router and I KNOW for sure it has a firewall. A local computer store said they could take out the firewall but it would be more vurnurable to viruses. How do you open a port from your computer? And if I opened a port would it be 27888?

-Cola

What model of linksys router?

normally you access the router through a webbrowser using the routers internal IP 192.161.1.1 typically and go to the firewall section set the port to open.

To "criminalcola",

I am providing a link for you of a post over at " http://www.The site that shall not be named.com/ " in the forums

section, that I and others replied to quite a while ago.

In this post, there is information about using a Linksys Router and information about

using the companies toll free number for tech support, which is just fantastic by

the way, they really support their products.

Also in this post is information about which ports and such, so I would suggest you

read all of the post because there is a lot of information in it for you, and I would

also suggest that you contact technical support over at Linksys, because they will

help you get setup and running, for free, it is a (1-800), the number should be in

either the last few pages of your manual, or actually on the very back page of your

manual.

LINK:

" http://The site that shall not be named/forums/showthrea...r+settings+nolf ".

GOOD LUCK, I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, LET US KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT !!!

Take Good Care Of Yourself And Your Family,

Long Live "NO ONE LIVES FOREVER",

Your Friend In "NOLF 1 & 2, & CONTRACT JACK", Always,

"CANADA" From The "GREAT WHITE NORTH".

unsure.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif24.gif24.gifcool.gif

Ok im getting somewhere i type 198.168.1.1 and get a password prompt, i enter my password and i opened the 27888 port and i can host now! but should i make the number of ip addresses 1 or some other #? Bty we have 4 computers on the router and the model is BEFsr41 version 3 mellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gif

Al routers ship with the default IP of 192.168.1.1

you can change that but if you have it doing DHCP you have 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 for a range so you should be just fine.

I'd personally leave the router set to DHCP and to the .1 IP

You're server will show up on the internet with your ISP assigned IP for it's IP.

If you turn DHCP off then you will have to assign static IPs to all the PCs on the network. It is the DHCP that gives out the IPs addresses to the PCs (leases them to the PC for a set period of time, usually 3-5 days) it then renews the lease or issues a new one.

You can certainly set the range the router is allowed to pull IPs from. should be on the same page as the DHCP setup.

As far as the port there is no way to "toggle" it. you either have it open or not.

Obviously having the open port can be detected by someone with a good port scanner. My advice if you are worried about "hackers" is to open the port, run your server and then when you shut it down go into your router interface and close the port.