can't get more than 30ps under Windows 8

So after spending all that time a few months ago getting NOLF to work, I sat down to play it today, only to find that I couldn't get more than 30fps while playing. Switching back to my Windows 7 installation temporarily I found that there were no issues there. I've found Windows 8 to be about the same for gaming performance, so it seems odd that NOLF would do this, is there anything I could have missed when setting the game up that would cap it at 30fps?

Actually considering how old NOLF is I'm impressed it actually runs on Windows 8.

I suspect it may have something to do with the addition of Direct X 11 in Windows 8.

DirectX 11 is irrelevant (and present in Windows 7 too), NOLF uses DirectX 7, it's too old to use anything like that. It's an nvidia card, GTX580 and I don't have any special settings configured for NOLF. I don't understand what a "screen region" is I'm afraid! I'm running the game full screen. I have updated DirectX with the latest end-user runtimes too. Very curious! I'll update if I discover anything else.

Tried with a clean install of Windows 8, same drivers but not tampered with at all.. same problem! Game is locked to 30FPS instead of 60 in Windows 8! This is a real shame, I'm considering moving back to Windows 7 now if older games are adversely affected like this.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here... Windows 8, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (latest drivers 314.07).

IMHO its not W8's problem but NOLF's problem. I played only older games for like two months (570 was in repair so i was forced to use old 6600) and i experienced issue like this only in NOLF's case... :huh:

P.S.: You can always use VirtualBox and Windows XP.

Edited by merlo

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I'm still trying to find a magic solution here. :) I noticed that when I launch the game windowed, the game runs just fine (60fps+). Does this give you any ideas?

Part of the problem is NOLF was made before LCD/LED monitors and the 16:9 resolutions of them. It restricts what can be done with them up to a point.

I believe it's more about the way Windows 8 renders Direct3D-games in fullscreen, some kind of exclusive mode. If I run the game at 1024x768 fullscreen, I still have the same problem.
If I run the game windowed, I can run it in any resolution, at 60fps, but the animations are twice as fast. Looks pretty funny though. So maybe the game is synching to the framerate of the animations in fullscreen or something?