Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Is A Total Game Changer

lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-endor-new.

Click here to watch embedded media

Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive
Developer: TT Games
Release: 2020
Rating: Everyone
Platform: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC

If you’ve played one Lego game, you’ve played them all. As much as I love the Lego games, I usually know what I’m in for when they boot up. That all changes with The Skywalker Saga. TT Games has completely rebuilt its engine and reimagined its classic Lego formula, and the results speak for themselves. (Actually, results can’t speak, so I’ll do that for them. The results say: This game rules.)

One of the biggest changes for this new Lego game is the camera, which now sits behind the shoulders of each character. The game looks great, the worlds are highly detailed, and the Lego characters have a nice fluid animation.

The Skywalker Saga not only looks different, it plays different. Have you heard of combos? Because TT Games has. Now characters can perform a series of attack combos. Of course, you can still button mash your way through most encounters, but you’ll also have more attack options in combat. The behind-the-shoulder camera also highlights the new shooting mechanics, which are now more precise and feel more like a third-person shooter (think of an adorable Gears of War).

Click image thumbnails to view larger version

lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-tall.jpg lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-venator-new.jpg lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-destroyer-new.jpg lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-endor-new.jpg lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-hoth-new.jpg lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-lando-new.jpg lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-r2d2-new.jpg

The entire game includes all nine episodes of the main Star Wars franchise – from The Phantom Menace to The Rise of Skywalker. Our E3 demo jumped into Return of the Jedi, but players can tackle each movie in any order. Once you jump into a movie, you’ll have the freedom to tackle objectives at your own pace. During the demo we watched the Millennium Falcon fly through outer space. During these open-ended sequences, players might randomly encounter roving bands of enemy fighters, and we watch a capital ship warp into view. If you avoid this combat, you can fly to a variety of planets within the Star Wars universe (at least 20 will be fully explorable in the final game). We watched the Millennium Falcon touched down on Tatooine. However, even when you’re planet side you’ll have multiple docking stations to choose from.

This sense of freedom extends to the ground-based levels. Once you've landed on Tatooine, you’re free to explore the space at your own pace, find hidden bricks, or complete various story missions. We watch Luke talk with a droid and use C-3PO to translate the droid speak. Each hero still has character-specific powers that might come in handy from time to time. We also saw familiar sights from the films, such as Tosche Station, Jabba's sail barge, and the Sarlacc pit.

I haven’t been excited for a Star Wars game in years, but The Skywalker Saga definitely caught my eye. The game looks to appeal to long-time Star Wars fans, but also looks unique enough that newcomers could have a good time.

View the full article