Sign in to follow this  
mike_mac

NOLF1 on an Intel Mac (via Wineskin & PC install discs)

Hi all.

I am happy to report that I am now playing NOLF1 (PC) on my Intel Mac mini. :-)

After A LOT of trial and error with PPC emulators (PearPC and the like) and virtual machines (Mac OS X Leopard & NOLF (PC) in Windows XP, both in VMware Fusion), I looked at the possibility of creating a Wine wrapper for the PC version.

Using Wineskin Winery 2.5.8 and Wine Engine 1.1.17, NOLF1 installed easily from the PC install discs, including the retail patches up to 1.04 and a NoCD Patch Nolf.exe (based on patch 1.04).

The version of Wine Engine was based on the Platinum results for NOLF1 on the WineHQ App database:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=305&iTestingId=38467

Widescreen also works, although 1920x1080 is bit extreme, where 1280x720 gives about the same result in 16:9 ratio. The interface menus still have the vertical squashing issue, but that is a deeper interface issue that doesn't effect gameplay too much. I will see sometime if I can find out how to tweak that.

Currently I am now fiddling with editing a new widescreen splash screen (what comes up before the developer movies at the start) and a few other screen images. I'll post those if anyone would like them.

I'm also going to fiddle with some hi-res textures just for Cate (at least 1024x1024, compared to the original 256x256 and 512x512). I'm a graphic artist AND a gamer, so I like fiddling with these things.

I'll check how big the wrapper will be WITHOUT the game data and e-mail it to Eliteone for posting in the downloads. I'll post a brief tutorial soon.

Oh, my system specs are these too (just FYI):

Mac: Mac mini (mid 2011)

Processor: Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz

Memory: 8GB RAM

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 (512 MB shared RAM)

--mike

Nice job!! Changing your forum title to Special Agent Mac_Guru ;)

I've also had no problem using the PC versions of Nolf 1 and 2 with Parallels Desktop v7 on OS X Lion 10.7 and Mountain Lion 10.8. I used WindowsXP as the operating system so that I would have maximum compatibility with older games. It is a bit overkill and costs money to use Parallels Desktop, but it makes things much smoother if you intend to play more than just the Nolf series of games. (3D graphics performance is one of their selling points.)

I've also messed around with the free VirtualBox software, but the 3D graphics support is experimental and takes more finagling to get going. It works, but you need to be willing to tinker.

Hi FortranDragon.

Yes, I looked at Parallels, VirtualBox, and VMware, where each has their own issues with 3D support. I tried Mac OS X Leopard in VMware Fusion because of Rosetta, which could then run PPC apps. But alas, the Nolf app tried to run but the emulated video card couldn't cope (similar issues with Nolf on Windows XP in Fusion too).

The Wineskin wrapper has less Windows overhead, with only the files necessary to run Windows apps without the whole Windows GUI. Directx runs well in it too, since Nolf1 is expecting Directx 7, where the wrapper has at least Directx 9. I'm also playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 on my Mac via a Wineskin wrapper too (ported by Paulthetall on his Mac porting website), which runs okay considering it is newer and more graphics intensive.

Have a look at the Wineskin wrapped Nolf1 [PC] when it becomes available. I assume you have the install discs (or images) for Nolf 1 & 2 for PC?

--mike

I guess I've had better luck with Parallels. I do use a Mac Pro with a dedicated graphics card. So that could be the difference I'm seeing from what you are with integrated graphics on your mini.

One of the nice things about Parallels is that I can set the virtual machine to only have one cpu. That tends to make some games *cough*Nolf 2*cough* more stable on my Mac Pro. Between Parallels for Windows apps and Boxer for my older DOS-based games I'm usually set. It is pretty funny that my Mac Pro provides better environments for older non-Mac games than Windows does.

(I've got my old PowerMac G5 if I need to run PPC apps, and I have my home-built Windows box for things that don't respond well to emulation.)

Hey there,

I joined this site specifically to search for a way to play NOLF and NOLF2 on my Intel iMac. I'm using a 27-inch, mid 2011 iMac with a 3.4 GHz Inter Core i7, 8GB ram, and a AMD Radeon HD 6970 Graphics. OSX 10.8.2.

Would your setup work for me once I figured out what the heck Wine is? :-)

--m.

Hey there,

I joined this site specifically to search for a way to play NOLF and NOLF2 on my Intel iMac. I'm using a 27-inch, mid 2011 iMac with a 3.4 GHz Inter Core i7, 8GB ram, and a AMD Radeon HD 6970 Graphics. OSX 10.8.2.

Would your setup work for me once I figured out what the heck Wine is? :-)

--m.

First off welcome to UHQ.

Wine is an emulator that lets you run windows based programs in a Linux environment. Since the Mac OS is Linux based it would work with it.

I'll try to get ahold of Mac-Mike for you to have him respond as well.

Hi Macktor and Eliteone!

Macktor, welcome to UHQ too!

I'm here E1! Oddly the link to this forum post came up while I Googled for other info on Wineskin. So I popped in for a look.

@Macktor:

Eliteone is right. Wine/Wineskin is rather useful in that it allows many (not all) Windows apps and games to be used on a Mac with OS X — without the need to have Windows installed under Boot Camp or emulation (VMware, Parallels, or VirtualBox). It's not perfect but dedicated people on the web are making Mac game ports for Wine/Wineskin/CrossOver/etc. For all kinds of game wrappers for Mac check out www.paulthetall.com sometime. But for now read on below.

1. For a bit of reading on Wineskin have a look here (it helps to understand what it is and does):

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

2. Download this Wineskin wrapper for "No One Lives Forever [PC]" from my DropBox:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27895561/No%20One%20Lives%20Forever%20%5BWineskin%5D.zip

3. You will also need the PC install discs for NOLF1 (I haven't tested NOLF 2 yet, I should do that!).

4. As to not reinvent the wheel, so to speak, have a read of this section of the Wineskin manual (read further below for a brief tutorial):

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Manual+4.1+The+Installer

5. In the ZIP file on my DropBox is one file — the No One Lives Forever [PC].app — which is an Intel Application bundle. This is the Wineskin Wrapper, sans any NOLF game app or data. It will expand to about 120 MB from the 27.7 MB compressed ZIP. You need to right-click this app bundle and choose Show Package Contents from the pop-up contextual menu.

6. Within the app bundle are three things: (1.) a Contents folder (leave that one alone), (2.) a drive_c folder alias (in there directory/folder structures are like Windows), and (3.) the Wineskin app (this is used to install software and set Wineskin options).

7. You don't need to set ANY OTHER options in Wineskin, except to install NOLF1 [PC] from the install discs as you would for a PC. Double-click the Wineskin app to open it and click the Install Software button. From here an Installer window will appear. Only click the Choose Setup Executable button.

8. From here a "Please choose the install program" file dialog will appear. Browse to the NOLF install discs and choose the SETUP.EXE on the first disc. If like me, your Mac doesn't have a CD/DVD drive (mid 2011 Mac Minis don't), the install discs could be disc images on your desktop.

9. I have left the file structure of "Program Files > Fox > No One Lives Forever" in the wrapper, so choose that as the install directory.

10. The Windows installer for NOLF will start. At one point it will ask for the 2nd NOLF disc (just browse to it in the basic-looking file dialog, it needs some data off it). After that it will ask for the 1st NOLF disc again and the installer will finish.

11. After closing the NOLF installer Wineskin will think briefly for a bit, then ask you for the EXE for startup. This should be the Nolf.exe (which it may show in the pop-up menu already). Click to confirm this.

12. You can quit out of Wineskin and close the app bundle folder. If you Get Info the No Lives Forever [PC].app now it should be about 1.13 GB.

13. Yoy need to find the patch updates for NOLF (to 1.02, 1.03, and 1.04), find those on UnityHQ here:

http://sficlan.net/Unityhq/forums/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=12

Install these using the Install Software button in Wineskin like before. Install in ORDER from 1.02, 1.03, AND 1.04!

Make sure Nolf.exe is still the startup EXE afterward in the Advanced button of the Wineskin app. The path should be "/Program Files/Fox/No One Lives Forever/Nolf.exe", if not browse and find the Nolf.exe inside the wrapper and set it so.

14. Also get the NOLF NO CD patch (based on the v1.04 Nolf.exe), also find that here:

http://sficlan.net/Unityhq/forums/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=52

Just copy the Nolf.exe and REPLACE the one in the Wrapper (after updating to 1.04).

15. Exit out of Wineskin and the app bundle again. All going well you can now double-click the No Lives Forever [PC].app (with the NOLF1 icon, which also looks nice on the dock) and play NOLF1 on your Intel Mac!

16. No game CDs or disc images are now needed. Eject the discs or like me, archive the images somewhere.

17. If any problems leave a reply here.

Well, that looks like a brief tutorial already written. I hope it helps. Since making this wrapper I have been distracted playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 (via a good Wineskin wrapper by paulthetall.com), which looks okay on my Mac Mini with HD Graphics 3000 (would like a discrete graphics card though).

Right then, I'm off.

--mike

Edited by mike_mac

Hi Macktor and Eliteone!

Macktor, welcome to UHQ too!

I'm here E1! Oddly the link to this forum post came up while I Googled for other info on Wineskin. So I popped in for a look.

@Macktor:

Eliteone is right. Wine/Wineskin is rather useful in that it allows many (not all) Windows apps and games to be used on a Mac with OS X — without the need to have Windows installed under Boot Camp or emulation (VMware, Parallels, or VirtualBox). It's not perfect but dedicated people on the web are making Mac game ports for Wine/Wineskin/CrossOver/etc. For all kinds of game wrappers for Mac check out www.paulthetall.com sometime. But for now read on below.

1. For a bit of reading on Wineskin have a look here (it helps to understand what it is and does):

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

2. Download this Wineskin wrapper for "No One Lives Forever [PC]" from my DropBox:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27895561/No%20One%20Lives%20Forever%20%5BWineskin%5D.zip

3. You will also need the PC install discs for NOLF1 (I haven't tested NOLF 2 yet, I should do that!).

4. As to not reinvent the wheel, so to speak, have a read of this section of the Wineskin manual (read further below for a brief tutorial):

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Manual+4.1+The+Installer

5. In the ZIP file on my DropBox is one file — the No One Lives Forever [PC].app — which is an Intel Application bundle. This is the Wineskin Wrapper, sans any NOLF game app or data. It will expand to about 120 MB from the 27.7 MB compressed ZIP. You need to right-click this app bundle and choose Show Package Contents from the pop-up contextual menu.

6. Within the app bundle are three things: (1.) a Contents folder (leave that one alone), (2.) a drive_c folder alias (in there directory/folder structures are like Windows), and (3.) the Wineskin app (this is used to install software and set Wineskin options).

7. You don't need to set ANY OTHER options in Wineskin, except to install NOLF1 [PC] from the install discs as you would for a PC. Double-click the Wineskin app to open it and click the Install Software button. From here an Installer window will appear. Only click the Choose Setup Executable button.

8. From here a "Please choose the install program" file dialog will appear. Browse to the NOLF install discs and choose the SETUP.EXE on the first disc. If like me, your Mac doesn't have a CD/DVD drive (mid 2011 Mac Minis don't), the install discs could be disc images on your desktop.

9. I have left the file structure of "Program Files > Fox > No One Lives Forever" in the wrapper, so choose that as the install directory.

10. The Windows installer for NOLF will start. At one point it will ask for the 2nd NOLF disc (just browse to it in the basic-looking file dialog, it needs some data off it). After that it will ask for the 1st NOLF disc again and the installer will finish.

11. After closing the NOLF installer Wineskin will think briefly for a bit, then ask you for the EXE for startup. This should be the Nolf.exe (which it may show in the pop-up menu already). Click to confirm this.

12. You can quit out of Wineskin and close the app bundle folder. If you Get Info the No Lives Forever [PC].app now it should be about 1.13 GB.

13. Yoy need to find the patch updates for NOLF (to 1.02, 1.03, and 1.04), find those on UnityHQ here:

http://sficlan.net/Unityhq/forums/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=12

Install these using the Install Software button in Wineskin like before. Install in ORDER from 1.02, 1.03, AND 1.04!

Make sure Nolf.exe is still the startup EXE afterward in the Advanced button of the Wineskin app. The path should be "/Program Files/Fox/No One Lives Forever/Nolf.exe", if not browse and find the Nolf.exe inside the wrapper and set it so.

14. Also get the NOLF NO CD patch (based on the v1.04 Nolf.exe), also find that here:

http://sficlan.net/Unityhq/forums/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=52

Just copy the Nolf.exe and REPLACE the one in the Wrapper (after updating to 1.04).

15. Exit out of Wineskin and the app bundle again. All going well you can now double-click the No Lives Forever [PC].app (with the NOLF1 icon, which also looks nice on the dock) and play NOLF1 on your Intel Mac!

16. No game CDs or disc images are now needed. Eject the discs or like me, archive the images somewhere.

17. If any problems leave a reply here.

Well, that looks like a brief tutorial already written. I hope it helps. Since making this wrapper I have been distracted playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 (via a good Wineskin wrapper by paulthetall.com), which looks okay on my Mac Mini with HD Graphics 3000 (would like a discrete graphics card though).

Right then, I'm off.

--mike

I went ahead and added the file to the downloads Mike

You can also get it HERE

Holy schnikes - thanks for the step by step! Looking forward to trying all this out.

UPDATE: I went ahead and tried it... followed all the steps and was able to successfully get to the game's launch screen, and then am taken to the Performance Settings screen. No matter what I select, I get an error window that says "No Game Resources Specified". Clicking the OK button shuts everything down.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks!

M. :-)

Edited by Macktor

Okay, I followed this guide and it pretty much worked (including patching with the NO CD patch), but Im having some issues also. First I have no in game music playing (although it is enabled in the menu options). Second when I start it up it is full screen but at the lowest (800 x 600) resolution (and the mouse doesn't track properly) so I have to change it after I start the game; I go through that procedure every time I restart the game. Third, every dialog in a cut scene or audio effect in the game cuts off a few seconds before the proper ending. Fortunately Ive playing this game so many times I have heard these conversations plenty of times!

I haven't finished attempting this process, but it gives me hope that someone else out there has tried it and managed it, and I am optimistic!

I will report back with results. I am using a mid-2011 MacBook Air and hoping to get my retro+trackpad gaming on lol...

Aand question/hypothesis about a problem already: I don't think you specify anywhere whether one can/should use original edition or GotY edition images; since my attempt to use what are apparently GotY images has failed (after presenting an error about having encountered a previously-installed older version and crashing after attempting to run a non-existent uninstaller), I assume that original edition discs are needed and I plan to try again with those.

Thanks a lot for the step-by-step! It's the kind of post that restores your faith in Internet communities!