Support Discontinued

Again all the games have their strong points and weak points. We getting a bit off the topic though which was about games VU is going to be supporting after July 1st.

Since however the "community" is being brought up. One thing here is we will not "chastise" nor penalize someone for having an opinion in this forum unlike other forums. On the contrary we respect everyone's opinions here even if we do not personally agree with them. that is the first step to a unfragmented community a venue for people to be able to express their opinions.

UnityHQ is also the only Community Site that runs servers for Nolf nolf 2 and Contract Jack and a UnityHQ public Teamspeak to further Community Unity.

Honestly, I don't believe there was ever an attempt by any players to purposefully shoot down CJ. We all looked forward to it. At least everyone I spoke to at the time it came out did. Some people fell in love with it, others didn't. That's the way of things. Not all NOLF1 players liked NOLF2 when it came out, and there's no rule anyone has to. Each game has it's good and bad points. I don't consider NOLF1 or CJ players as being inferior in any way or look down on them, if that's what is being hinted at. I'm not jealous of them or think they need to be assimilated into NOLF2. Like most of you, I've simply found the one game that brings me the most enjoyment and that's where I spend most of my time and energy. Net code means nothing to me. It's all in how much fun I derive from the game.

NOLF1, NOLF2, CJ, all great games that I play and enjoy, all with some great players that I've come to call friends. If I've offended anyone by seeing to NOLF2 issues more than NOLF1 or CJ in these forums, then I apologize, but I don't take all the blame. Everyone can post and bring up issues, concerns and ideas. The NOLF2 crowd has been the most talkative, but that certainly doesn't have to be the case. So speak up, make yourself heard, and most importantly know that you're welcome and wanted no matter which of the three games you play.

CJ not having tags got everyone not liking it too much.

and then since no1 really liked it right off the bat, whenever new ppl came they wouldnt stay around because no1 else was there.

no1 gave it to much of a chance so it fell fast

blink.gif Wow! This turned from a open invitation to play NOLF 2 with us NOLF2ers to a "conspiracy theory/Contract Jack was done wrong post". The intention of my post was to invite some of the NOLF1ers to play NOLF 2 with us.

I guess I take exception to some of Coty's remarks about how NOLFers torpedoed Contract Jack and how he resents us for doing that. If a game is "that good" it doesn't matter what a handful of people say about it. I'm glad Coty likes CJ, but lets leave it at that.

(maybe this topic should be split into another thread)

To Coty:

I have all three games. I personally feel that they dropped the ball with contract jack, as I have played all three. I bought CJ the day it came out because I loved both nolf games so much, and when I beat singleplayer in one night, I was so disappointed. It took me weeks to beat both nolf1 and nolf2. I have felt that they should not have included this game in the series, instead made it its own game, since it is so different, and doesn't follow many traditions of the other nolf games. Yes, it's a good game if you don't put it in the same bracket as nolf1 and nolf2. It does not live up to the other nolf games, and therefore, when it was released, it was held to higher standards in our community, which it did not meet. Therefore, it's understandable how it got the thumbs down by veteran nolfers. I know I felt ripped off, and I formed my opinion on my own. I did not join the online nolf community until about a year and a few months ago, so I had nobody to tell me not to buy the game. I wish someone had. If you scan the web for independent reviews of contract jack, you are hard pressed to find a very positive one.

Instead of blaming those in our community for killing CJ, turn your eyes toward the developer for blatently putting out something not up to par.

I respect what you have done for our community. I, however, respectfully disagree with you.

Thanks CANADA smile.gif

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

You shouldn't compare CJ with other FPS games. That's a lame excuse.

I see CJ as everything from Nolf1 and Nolf2 combined into one SUPER game. It's not inferior to either Nolf1 or Nolf2 in MP. There are many of us that believe it's way better than both.

Play your games and never mind me.

No offense taken biggrin.gif

I respect your opnion as well as everyone elses.

Though to comment on one thing. I've never bought a game based upon a "review" etc. If it has a demo I try it. If I like the demo I buy the game.

Let me start my post by saying the great and powerful word, "Blah".

Jesus Christ, people never stop argruing about which game is better. Oooh Contract Jack is better because jkfdlasjfl;dasfga, nooo you nerd, NOLF1 is better because jfkldajflaj;lfa, HELL NO! NOLF2 is better because jfkdlajf;al;f.

No. Each game is different, each game has different mistakes. You people can argrue all you want, make large posts about which is better, but it won't make a difference.

Coty,"You shouldn't compare CJ with other FPS games. That's a lame excuse."

Since Contract Jack is a FPS Game, you can compare it with different Shooter games.

Coty," I see CJ as everything from Nolf1 and Nolf2 combined into one SUPER game."

You see it that way, eh. Contract Jack doesn't have everything that Nolf1 and Nolf2 has, so it's incorrect to say that.

I own Contract Jack. I bought it after Nolf2. I don't care what people say about it, I don't decide if I'm going to buy a game based on the Reviews or Comments about it. The game looked good, good price (Flippin $10), so I bought it. Pretteh good I thought after I played the Single player and Multiplayer. The single player was way to short, I beat it the same day I got it. I agree that was a major disappointment. If Contract Jack actually had Servers, then I probably wouldn't have uninstalled it. I know many people have it, because once there's a server up, more and more starts to come in, so Contract Jack isn't deserted (But I dunno now).

I am exceptionally glad we have a Contract Jack lover, and is willing to tell us that he likes it.

Nova

I don't buy games based on reviews either.

Every time someone doesn't like their FPS they always say that same thing, "It's just like all the other FPS games." Well, it's lame because all FPS games are the same way, with slight variations. Basically, it's a run, shoot game. Other games have things like your sleep grenades. Flash-bang comes to mind.

But I was trying to let this thing die. Hence, I edited my long post and just wrote a short, "Never mind" one. And I'm not going to comment any further. You got my point. And in case you didn't, Contract Jack is as good as Nolf1 and Nolf2. I stand by what i said.

You (WE) are just a small handful of players. There are things each person likes and dislikes about other games in the series. That doesn't mean one is better than the other. It's a shame that we couldn't all get together and fill servers up on just one game in the series. I thought CJ might bring them both together. Instead, it became a chopping block by the other two games, for whatever reasons.

I won't continue this pity argument about which game is better, it's pointless. I would play CJ though if for only this one reason, 300 ping is better than 1200 in the other two. With 1200 ping, you don't play, you're cannon fodder.

On that note back to the topic of ************Drum Roll**********

Support Discontinued..........

I just hope by their only continuing support for Nolf 2 only that it doesn't interfere with the master servers for Nolf 1 and Contract Jack etc

ps: Coty hopfully you've visited the UnityHQ Contract Jack server already. It runs 24/7

I just came off of it! smile.gif

Last night I played on for about an hour. I was Player, lol. But today someone called StealthMonkey asked me to make a name after she killed me with the shotgun a hundred times. So I finally broke down and changed it.

Thank You!

I thought She might have been you since her ping was only 12...

12! How close is that to nothing? I was 339 smile.gif

The gameservers (SFI and UnityHQ) are located on a co-located Dell Dual Xeon Server in a Texas Datacenter, except for the Nolf 2 Doomsday which is in New York. I picked a central location (Texas) to try to make it balanced for everyone. a 12 ping must be from Texas also.

I picked a central location (Texas) to try to make it balanced for everyone. a 12 ping must be from Texas also.

5119[/snapback]

Balanced for everyone from the USA, you mean. tongue.gif

I picked a central location (Texas) to try to make it balanced for everyone. a 12 ping must be from Texas also.

5119[/snapback]

Thanks you E1! For once, my ping is back down to the mid 60's...much better than than the 110 ping I have since I moved to the west coast. You are wise beyond your years thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

ya texas helps a lot, since i am too on west coast.

b/c 95% of servers out there r made on East Coast so that the ppl that live in Europe get a fair ping, but then West Coast gets blah!

so ty much smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all, but I feel like there is one thing we've talked about but forgot a bit too easily.

Coty, when you said that the NOLF community misjudged CJ and made it sell badly, you're not completely wrong. BUT...

We "misjudged it" because we were - in a way - asked to compare it to other NOLF games by the marketing guys at Vivendi games.

Here's what happened, and why CJ failed its mission (selling more copies than NOLF2)...

- People at Monolith are asked by Vivendi to release a new FPS, and fast. So they think well, the best thing to do is to recycle NOLF2's Jupiter engine and use it for a new game.

- They don't have time to design enough levels, advertize on 10 but create only 7. First bad point. They don't have time to create new weapons, so, they import the NOLF2 arsenal and the Corrector from NOLF1. They don't have time to create enough new MP maps. So, they import maps like Khios and modify them. Wow, what a deal when you have both games, you have the same maps twice...

- People at the marketing put themselves in "panic mode": the first reviews are not very good. Everyone loves the Demolition mod, but while other FPS at the time come out with 5 MP mods, CJ has only 3. Everybody loves the sound effects. BUT everybody thinks it's too short, too easy, and not the best FPS of the year, to say the least. Why did they compare it to other FPS? Because these are the players that were supposed to buy the game: hardcore FPS lovers. But, since many other games were better, they didn't buy CJ. Well, a few, very few, did. Fortunately.

- Big mistake N°5612: They decide the game will be part of the NOLF series. WHY? Because they KNOW us, they KNOW our community, they visit our forums, and they think "well, these people love our games, they'd sell their souls for a NOLF3, let's give'em something to wait". Too bad, we loved the NOLF series for its humour, the sleath missions, the gadgets, and... Cate Archer.

As a conclusion, they wanted to shoot 2 targets with one bullet, and missed both. CJ was supposed to MAKE MONEY. Is it a bad game? NO. I like it. But I think it should have been sold as what it finally is, a NOLF2 add-on, not a stand-alone game, even if it was cheap. That would have been a REAL marketing choice. NOLF2 people could play Demolition, enjoy the Corrector, dig the new sound effects, without having to switch bloody CD-ROMS. The NOLF2 community would have liked it, because it would have brought something MORE, instead of taking away what most players love in the NOLF series.

As a conclusion, I only hope that their marketing division was shot down. They have ruined a good game (CJ) while they didn't help another good game survive by getting more players (NOLF2 with a possible CJ add-on). They're the only people responsible for this crap, we're not, and they know it.

Now, does it ruin our chances to see a NOLF3 someday? NO. In the end, they know there's no real link between NOLF2 and CJ. NOLF and NOLF2 have both been game of the year when they came out. CJ was just one more FPS... A good one, but not good enough to raise interest. End of the story.

I just hope by their only continuing support for Nolf 2 only that it doesn't interfere with the master servers for Nolf 1 and Contract Jack etc

5091[/snapback]

Actually, the nolf1 servers don't have "big brother" watching them, so the master server problems haven't affected them. wink.gif

Genesis,

Is that your own opinion, or do you know something from reading interviews and stuff?

Although I respect your opinion, I don't see it that way...