Some cheats never work

igemma

According to UbaS site, "mpclip only works if the spectator mode is running on that server/in your game" and it "Requires Spectator.rez in order to use":

http://nolfers-hut.5.../cheatcodes.htm

This is apparently a reference to Dan's Spectator Mod for NOLF1. There is also a similar mod for NOLF2 (available at UnityHQ, I think). I have no idea where to get the NOLF1 Spectator Mod, but would like to find it myself.

Don't know about mpwhoami, but it may require the Spectator mod as well.

According to UbaS site, "mpclip only works if the spectator mode is running on that server/in your game" and it "Requires Spectator.rez in order to use":

http://nolfers-hut.5.../cheatcodes.htm

This is apparently a reference to Dan's Spectator Mod for NOLF1. There is also a similar mod for NOLF2 (available at UnityHQ, I think). I have no idea where to get the NOLF1 Spectator Mod, but would like to find it myself.

Don't know about mpwhoami, but it may require the Spectator mod as well.

mpwhoami toggles invisibility according to the sites listing the cheats for NOLF1. There is a spectator mode for NOFL1 posted on a site but the download link doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

I was searching hardly for this nolf 1 spectator mod too and got it in the game itself! Starting the game there is the spectator.rez in the advanced options, I've added it and it works :-))

Regards, blaukanal

Hello Folks,

I was searching hardly for this nolf 1 spectator mod too and got it in the game itself! Starting the game there is the spectator.rez in the advanced options, I've added it and it works :-))

Regards, blaukanal

I have NOLF1 GOTY Edition and there is no spectator.rez installed in Advanced - Customize. Also mpclip cheat doesn't work. Could you upload spectator.rez for us?

I second the request. Also, see if you have Spectator.zip on your system, because that is probably where you got the spectator.rez file.

I found a thread relating to the original release of Dan's Spectator Mod with a very interesting comment by Dan:

The specator mode in NOLF is actually an option in the engine - it still has bugs because its impossible to get to it (no source). The specator mode was never designed to be for the player - its a developer/tester option.

This comment was made 9 February 2003, well after the release of source and tools for the game.

Hello and Sorry,

there is the spectator.rez-file in my customfiles. Probably I've downloaded it somewhere many years ago, it's not part of the original game, what I thought at first. The zip by Dan is 1,36 MB, any idea where I could upload it?

Hello and Sorry,

there is the spectator.rez-file in my customfiles. Probably I've downloaded it somewhere many years ago, it's not part of the original game, what I thought at first. The zip by Dan is 1,36 MB, any idea where I could upload it?

You can email it to me and I'll get it posted on the downloads.

Blaukanal and Eliteone, thanks!

Igemma, I dumped the Version 1.003 NOLF source code last night, and I did find one reference to the mpwhoami cheat. However, a comment in the code (filename is MessageMgr.cpp) )indicates that it is supposed to "reset player history" rather than convey invisibility. So you might see if it actually does that.

Also, when you look at the cheat codes for other (later) LithTech engine games, it is pretty obvious that the LithTech and game developers would commonly leave codes used in earlier versions or other versions of the engine in place, but would not necessarily implement any action when the code is entered. Also, some codes were designed to work only for developers/testers as Dan noted in the comment I quoted above. You can see what I am talking about on this page which lists cheat codes for Tron 2.0:

http://www.ldso.net/...fullcheats.html

akula65, every site I've been googled about NOLF1 cheats lists mpwhoami to toggle invisibility in game, along with other cheats, part of them inactive during the game:

So far, I have found as inactive the following cheats:

Walk through walls mpclip
Ohio teaser mpgod
All maps mpbeenthere
Trigger all activate boxes mptriggers
Remove all AI players mpboyisuck
Toggle invisibility mpwhoami
Press [Keypad Plus] to return to start of level  mpteleport
Unknown mphookmeup
Unknown mpcampos
Unknown mpbreach
Unknown mppoly
Unknown mpfov
Unknown mplightadd
Unknown mplightscale
Unknown mpwmpos
Unknown mpwpos

I understand that it's possible the above cheats were available only to developers, but to me, as a single player, they should have been made available to the retail version too. Some cheats make the game more enjoyable. I like to wander around in the game, go through walls or through some locked doors.

What would mean "reset player history"? All the progress in game is lost? I didn't notice that change in the game when I input mpwhoami cheat. I noticed no change at all.

Edited by igemma

Your guess about "reset player history" sounds right to me. If it doesn't seem to do anything, then it is probably one of the developer/tester codes that won't work without using the developer version of the LithTech engine or a mod in the retail version like mpclip.

Many thanks to blaukanal and EliteOne for sharing and uploading the Spectator mod for No One Lives Forever!!! :happy1:

mpclip cheat now works and it has just revealed a secret and funny dialogue at the very start of the game in the assingment scene 1, when Cate passes by some windows behind which a soldier is patrolling. If you enable the cheat and go through the windows you can activate the dialogue.

I'm sure more funny secrets wait to be revealed in the game.

• 2 months later...