Can't install NOLF patch 1.003 in Windows 7

I wanted to play NOLF again after several years, but now I have Windows 7, so...... I asked around, found out how to install manually, thereby avoiding the nasty issues with the game's installation program.

But now, I have to patch the original game to GOTY edition like I did in the olden days, and patch 1.003 is not cooperating. I downloaded it, unzipped the files to the NOLFupdate folder, and tried to run SETUP.exe, getting an "application not compatible" error message. I ran it again in compatibility mode for Windows XP and Vista, getting the same results.

Is there a way I can make this work? Perhaps by circumventing the setup program the way I had to when I installed the game itself? I would really, REALLY appreciate anyone's help.

I wanted to play NOLF again after several years, but now I have Windows 7, so...... I asked around, found out how to install manually, thereby avoiding the nasty issues with the game's installation program.

But now, I have to patch the original game to GOTY edition like I did in the olden days, and patch 1.003 is not cooperating. I downloaded it, unzipped the files to the NOLFupdate folder, and tried to run SETUP.exe, getting an "application not compatible" error message. I ran it again in compatibility mode for Windows XP and Vista, getting the same results.

Is there a way I can make this work? Perhaps by circumventing the setup program the way I had to when I installed the game itself? I would really, REALLY appreciate anyone's help.

Welcome to the forum.

NOLF used a 16 bit installer that 64 bit Windows 7 won't run. The workaround would be to install it to a Windows XP machine, patch it and then copy the NOLF folder over to your Win 7 machine.

For more detailed instructions click HERE

Thanks for the advice.

I tried to do the first thing--install on my boyfriend's laptop that is running XP, but it told me to "make sure NOLF is installed correctly." I also think he has some issues with his disc drive, as it didn't seem to realize NOLF was in there.

I will try downloading that XP mimic thing you suggested and see if that will work.

I doubt my eventual solution to this problem will be of help to too many out there, but I thought I'd post it because I found it interesting.

I was unable to get the game installed and patched on an XP-running machine. (My boyfriend's has XP but apparently it won't recognize that the disc is in the drive. >_<) But as luck would have it, he became interested in the game and bought GOTY edition. I borrowed his copy, it installed fine on my PC, and though I couldn't fix the game to run without the CD in the drive, we chanced upon the realization that I could run HIS GOTY copy with just my regular NOLF CD in the drive. So I did not need the patches I downloaded. I was surprised that it works that way, but whatever, as long as I can join the carnage online!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For anyone else who reads this thread, I re-wrote the installer for patch 3 for 64 bit, I think Eliteone put it up in the downloads section now?

Fantastic, thank you, kind sir!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...