What's the difference between NOLF and Game of the Year Edition

ACE

What is the difference between NOLF and NOLF Game of the Year Edition?

The Game of the year edition included an extra mission and some multiplayer maps. Other than that they are the same game.

The Game of the year edition included an extra mission and some multiplayer maps. Other than that they are the same game.

Cool, but Monolith never released Game of the Year edition levels to the public over the years or what? It'd do the game justice just to feature the maps in an update.

Cool, but Monolith never released Game of the Year edition levels to the public over the years or what? It'd do the game justice just to feature the maps in an update.

The multiplayer maps for the goty edition can be found in our download section.

Don't think the single player mission has been release as a standalone product.

• 2 weeks later...

Eliteone addressed the game differences, but there were also package content differences as well. Some GOTY packages included the Official Prima Strategy Guide. Also, while both versions included a second disk with music tracks (In the Lounge), the contents of the music disks differ between the versions. The GOTY version has remixes of some original tracks in addition to the original tracks common to both versions.

• 2 weeks later...

there's a 3rd version, which features complete new soundtrack and some exclusive levels...it was released for PS2 in 2002

- the soundtrack is nice, but doesnt compare to the PC version (some tunes are brilliant tough)

- it has auto aim for enemies, but its gameplay is still bad (mouse+keyboard rules over joypads)

- you dont have zoom in the carabine, which is awful

- some levels shows young Cate as a thief (i didnt got there yet, and probably never will because this version is very bad compared to the PC one)

***Id rather conect PC to the TV hdmi output and play the PC version emulating a joypad on keyboard and use mouse to aim then play this PS2 port...the port is awful

• 2 months later...

I have GOTY edition.

Is the extra mission part of the campaign, or is it separate?

Welcome to the forum.

The Game of the Year Edition was released on October 4, 2001. Published jointly by Sierra Entertainment and Fox Interactive, this re-released version includes an exclusive mission otherwise not available in the original game, titled "Rest and Relaxation", which is available after the original story. The GOTY edition comes with the game's official Prima strategy guide, and it also contains more multiplayer maps, which were also made available as a download for owners of the original game.

The original doesn't have the Rest and Relaxation mission on it.

• 3 months later...

- some levels shows young Cate as a thief (i didnt got there yet, and probably never will because this version is very bad compared to the PC one)

Have you found it anywhere to watch, youtube or somewhere else?

• 2 months later...

I have the GOTY edition now. There was no prima strategy guide in it. I bought a pre-owned copy of course. I don't see how they could've fit a game guide in such a small box...

Oh and I found a youtube clip of that mission with Cate as a thief.

That's a shame if we can't play those PS2 missions on the PC. How hard can it be for one of us to port those 3 missions over ourselves.

• 4 months later...

I have the GOTY edition now. There was no prima strategy guide in it. I bought a pre-owned copy of course. I don't see how they could've fit a game guide in such a small box...

Oh and I found a youtube clip of that mission with Cate as a thief.

That's a shame if we can't play those PS2 missions on the PC. How hard can it be for one of us to port those 3 missions over ourselves.

Yeah I can't believe that both the PS2 exclusive missions and the Rest and Relaxation mission weren't combined into one ultimate Nolf game. They should have been included in the GOTY edition. The PS2 version also had a secret shooting area in "A man of Influence Scene 5" (aka Scene 3 in the PC version) as well as a pen dart weapon which also should have been included.

I actually have the PS2 version and tried putting it into my PC to see if you could do something with the data files, but they are in .IRX format and I can't find a program that can open those. According to "http://filetonic.com/blog/2008/07/10/irx-file/", "There isn't really a way to open an .irx file without the device originally intended to open it. There are two main uses for .irx files-- GPS devices and PlayStation 2 games."

But if you are up to the challenge you could try figuring it out. I'd like to play those missions on the PC possibly as mod files or even better, if you can include them at the right time in the campaign! But I don't even know if that's legal though.

Edited by CoLdOwN

• 2 months later...

Yeah I can't believe that both the PS2 exclusive missions and the Rest and Relaxation mission weren't combined into one ultimate Nolf game. They should have been included in the GOTY edition. The PS2 version also had a secret shooting area in "A man of Influence Scene 5" (aka Scene 3 in the PC version) as well as a pen dart weapon which also should have been included.

I actually have the PS2 version and tried putting it into my PC to see if you could do something with the data files, but they are in .IRX format and I can't find a program that can open those. According to "http://filetonic.com/blog/2008/07/10/irx-file/", "There isn't really a way to open an .irx file without the device originally intended to open it. There are two main uses for .irx files-- GPS devices and PlayStation 2 games."

But if you are up to the challenge you could try figuring it out. I'd like to play those missions on the PC possibly as mod files or even better, if you can include them at the right time in the campaign! But I don't even know if that's legal though.

Yeah, I don't think it will be that easy to read a ps2 disc from your computer. What you found out about the format is interesting. I don't know much about .irx format.

Makes me wonder which is easier, to ask monolith for a release of those maps or to crack the ps2 disc.

Edited by ACE