invalid shell DLL cshell.dll

Hi, I feel like i have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get NOLF2 running on Windows 10, I keep getting the error invalid shell DLL cshell.dll. I have looked through the forums and tried everything I can find. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or am I fighting a loosing battle? 

17 hours ago, meatparsden said:

Hi, I feel like i have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get NOLF2 running on Windows 10, I keep getting the error invalid shell DLL cshell.dll. I have looked through the forums and tried everything I can find. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or am I fighting a loosing battle? 

Most of the time running it in Windows compatibility mode will solve this. 

On 9/7/2018 at 7:11 AM, Eliteone said:

Most of the time running it in Windows compatibility mode will solve this. 

Hi thanks for the reply, I have tried every compatibility mode and run as admin/disable full screen optimisations etc, any other ideas? I'd really appreciate the help...

1 hour ago, meatparsden said:

Hi thanks for the reply, I have tried every compatibility mode and run as admin/disable full screen optimisations etc, any other ideas? I'd really appreciate the help...

Can you post your machine specs and operating system/build? 

12 hours ago, NanoTech said:

Where did you get game files? The newest complete NOLF2 package on our community can sometimes cause issues like yours afaik. I'm using old zip files for single player gaming. 

I have tried the discs but they won't install at all, I have also tried both the signed and the unsigned install files and the portable version from this site. I'll have a look and see if i can find an old version and let you know how i get on. Thanks 

I have tried the discs but they won't install at all, I have also tried both the signed and the unsigned install files and the portable version from this site. I'll have a look and see if i can find an old version and let you know how i get on. Thanks 

PC CD zip files with official patches work for single player. I have not played multi player yet... 

Invalid shell DLL error generally indicates a problem between Lithtech.exe & CShell.dll, most likely a version mismatch...

Some things to try:
Run the game installer as admin (fixed an install issue with CJ for me).
Avoid installing to the default location "C:\Program Files" try something like "C:\Games" instead, gets around some inherited UAC issues.
If you are using the No-CD patch, make sure it's for v1.3.
Too many .rez files in Custom\Resources will cause the game to not load the v1.3 update or mods.
Try the Multiplayer Launcher, should fix the above issue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, URA said:

Invalid shell DLL error generally indicates a problem between Lithtech.exe & CShell.dll, most likely a version mismatch...

Some things to try:
Run the game installer as admin (fixed an install issue with CJ for me).
Avoid installing to the default location "C:\Program Files" try something like "C:\Games" instead, gets around some inherited UAC issues.
If you are using the No-CD patch, make sure it's for v1.3.
Too many .rez files in Custom\Resources will cause the game to not load the v1.3 update or mods.
Try the Multiplayer Launcher, should fix the above issue.

Thank you for this it gave me some things to work on and I am happy to say I got it working :D finally I can revisit this amazing game!

For anyone in the same boat, this is what I did, in case it helps...

1 Uninstalled the game and deleted all left over files

2 Ran Regedit and searched for all mentions of nolf2, no one lives forever 2 and monolith and deleted them

3 Ran the NOLF2-Setup-not-signed.exe from this site as admin

4 Ran the NOLF2.exe in windows xp service pack 3 compatibility mode - I then had an issue where it was telling me to install the game rather than play 

5 ran the setup.exe in the install folder as admin and pointed to disc 1 of the game - I was then getting Error in CInterfaceMgr::Init(): could not initialize cursor!

6 reapplied the 1.3 patch 

7 ran NOLF2.bat in the install directory 

8 Ran the NOLF2-Setup-not-signed.exe again as admin overwriting files

9 Ran the NOLF2.exe as admin in windows xp service pack 3 compatibility mode selected display 1920x1080 and clicked play

10 Jumped around the room a bit and punched the air in glee.

I realize that was very long winded and that some steps may even be unnecessary but after trying so many things I thought I would just share what actually worked for me. Thanks to everyone that helped me.

• reaction_title_2 1

4 hours ago, meatparsden said:

Only tested single player but ill have a look later when I get home and come back to you about multiplayer

Update on multiplayer, when I tried it, I had the unable to load world error so i installed the unityHQ map pack and opened port 27888 & 27889. Now it seems to be working but all the servers are empty so it's hard to tell. I had a nice run around in a deathmatch by myself though.

Update on multiplayer, when I tried it, I had the unable to load world error so i installed the unityHQ map pack and opened port 27888 & 27889. Now it seems to be working but all the servers are empty so it's hard to tell. I had a nice run around in a deathmatch by myself though.

If you can find & connect servers then it is okay. 

You should join the game at NOLF o'clock. 

4 hours ago, meatparsden said:

most play on the weekends these days it seems.