Share your discoveries

I recently saw The Guillemots. They're a bit different from most new bands, in that their music is mostly piano-based. Their line-up consists of a drummer, a (cute) bassplayer who plays a standing bass, a singer/keyboard player with a love for cheap casios and the least obtrusive guitar player I've ever seen. He seems content to just stand in his corner and experiment a bit. But that's ok - it's not really rock anyway. They do however have really interesting songs and a sympathetic stage presence.

They'll be coming to the US this month, starting in New York on the 13th, so you can check them out yourself. (btw - the songs you can download from their site do give some impression of what they sound like, though I'm not sure if it's a good one. Just go see'em. :))

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'm the only one who goes to concerts here...

Anyway, yesterday I saw the Australian band Architecture In Helsinki.

IPB Image

And they brought with them two big keyboards, one small one, a flute, a steeldrum, congas, a brass section, a bunch of bells, drums, guitars and... (wait for it).... a COWBELL! :)

So was it good? Well, the first encore started with the band standing on stage with their fingers in their ears because the crowd made so much noise. The encore itself included the support act on stage, with half the band in the audience/on the speakers. For the second encore they got two people on stage to do a gaelic rap improv. And for the third encore they got a Canadian girl to sing the national anthem over one of their grooves. (Oh and during technical difficulties they play the Knight Rider theme) :D:D

Btw - they'll be playing in the US and Canada the coming weeks, so go see them! :)

Who watched Eurovision last nite? There was the only band i'd call music. The band "Lordi" from Finland. They are just so perfect! A kind of Kiss and Alice Cooper legacy. The 80's Rock is back.

I already got some of their awesome videos, and they are awesome.

P.S. Did i say they got awesome videos?

For those who missed eurovision, here is their perfomance, split arhive, 45 mb. total.

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

After the perfomance(short)

Some of their videos:

http://www.elohopea.fi/dir_videos.php?dir=riski&reel=music

LOLOLOLOLOL!!

you gotta be kidding; this is NOT what eurovision's supposed to be about! its about cheesy songs, cheesy outfits and cheesy commentators (terry wogan, i salute :upsidedwnsmiley: ) and if its extra special, a woman who used to be a man winning the darn thing! *viva la diva*

IPB Image

this'll just scare the kids! :cry2:

Eurovision has been creatively dead for decades. Now it's starting to smell.

First everything turned into a cliche-ridden mush of bland averageness in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Now, with all the Eastern European countries coming in, that's not working anymore. You need to really stand out to even be remembered when the voting comes around. So on come the gimmicks.

The Fins of course also have the advantage that metal is a major music genre and they're the only ones who'll appeal to all the black t-shirted teenagers who should really be nolfing instead of watching this drivel.

I never said i even liked eurovision. I agree upon all the points. But i liked the band.

this'll just scare the kids!

What will not scare the kids, but be a 'serious' rock group than?

I never said i even liked eurovision. I agree upon all the points. But i liked the band.

What will not scare the kids, but be a serious rock band than?

i wasn't aiming that comment at you; just couldn't believe that was on eurovision. apologies if it came across as rude.

well, from what i hear, that finnish band's song was actually quite good. if only they didn't have to look so scary!

and goo, lets not mess about. the people who would be watchin such nonsense are housewives and kids (not the black t-shirt wearing and chains sporting kind). (no offence if anyone's watching)

but then again, i haven't watched eurovision for about 5 years now...it could be different. :huh:

Don't count on it, it's not. :-D

I only watch it b\c we don't see too many musical events on television and in case something like that appears, or to watch our contestant[who is most likely to be a complete 0 again] loose at ~20th place. It pleases me.

Jesus Christ! I just watched the finals. Right before the results were shown, there was an air from Russian studio with different "stars" sharig their opinions 'bout who will win. I am sure erybody knew that our contestant gonna loose with disgrace. Do you know what they did? Not just say that he's definately gonna win. They started offending and mocking all the contestants,who were definately better, calling Lordi Ugly(in insulting manner); Ukranean girl a barbie and so on.

Eurovision Sux, but Russians make it even worse!

Hmm... Never expected our clown to get 2nd place. This is not rite.

But anyway, TEH MONSTARS WIN Witta great distance!!! HARD ROCK HAALLELUIJAH!!!

P.S. Do you know what our lead said? That this is not ight that

Hard rock hallelujah is the bast song of europe and these clowns get 1st place; DIMA HAVE WON!

Mein gott in himmel. there was again the air from our studio. They cussed again. said that finns were posers, far from hard rock at all, freaks, every1 will forget their song, and sing the song of bilan, blamed geopolicy. they didn't even show the final song!!! This is too much!

So the only band tht REALLY PREPARED sux, and theyr bouncy clown with zero vocals, nothing else and no money spent is the real winner. They are just a bunch of envious serpents, who spread gall in useless fierce. When a man tried to protect Finns by saying that they've been working in this same image for a long time, and were quite successful, they started barking at him, like a bunch of jackals. I think i gonna find the guestbook of each motha**** and say everything i think about 'em.

• 2 months later...

Um... anyway... guess I'll post some of my discoveries, then.

The Dresden Dolls

IPB Image

Piano-based duo, with a kind of 1920s cabaretesque sort of vibe. (Warning: lyrics contain references to vibrators and orgasms and such. They're funny too. :) )

Port-Royal

IPB Image

Long, slow songs of shimmering guitar sounds. At least, the one album I know of them (Flares). I believe it's called post-rock. Reminds me of Sigur Ros, sort of ambient rock.