Share your discoveries

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, yeah. Not very musical, though. :blink:

So longevity and popularity are hallmarks of good music. Do you realise that makes Britney, P.Diddy, etc. also good music? I think it's very well possible to not last, not sell and still be good. The Pixies only made four albums and they're all highly rated. Joy Division and Gang of Four remained very obscure but turned out to be very good, very influential. A band that makes one good album will have created more value than a band that makes eight with one hit on each.

Oh, and there already is a new U2: Coldplay. Just as populist, just as hated.

My wife plays coldplay to pacify my kids in the car. For some strange reason they could be raging up a storm. As soon as she plays it.......they get quiet and sometimes falls asleep. I can't stand that crap. Every song sounds the same.

If music from 5 years ago is still played....not just the artist still producing it...then is has stood the test of time, thus an obvious sign of good music. It may not be my taste in music, but I feel that is a pretty good indicator. So do you of any Britney Spears songs or P. Diddy songs of 5 years ago being played on a consistant basis? Probably not. I would bet you, there are a bunch of places you can go hear classic rock, incuding most of the songs on the list i posted above.

Dr. Dre is still played lots...

so is Eminem and his old songs...

Easy E is played a lot still...

they have withstood the time thingy...

and P. Diddy has 1 song of 5 years ago thats played somewhat often...

"I'll Be Missing You"...

i still hear it daily...

Sonic Goo' date='Jan 9 2006, 05:57 PM' post='25237']

Oh, and there already is a new U2: Coldplay. Just as populist, just as hated.

I've never heard Coldplay. But the rest of the content of these two sentences lets me off the hook from ever taking anything you say seriously ever again.

Knix' date='Jan 9 2006, 08:30 PM' post='25242']

If music from 5 years ago is still played....not just the artist still producing it...then is has stood the test of time, thus an obvious sign of good music.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember when the whole world was praising Oasis as the next Beatles? :lol: And then came the Smashing Pumpkins. Thank God that 15 minutes' time span is up!

LMAO "Champagne super nova!" hahaha. Oasis sucked a big _)(*_) as well. Thats my point. New fad. Let it ride a little and lets see if they are worth their salt.

Would love to get Liam Gallagher in a room for 5 min. punk azz beeeeotch

And those groups that you mention Factor...cept for P-diddy...are still played (and enjoyed by yours truely) cuz their sh@t is good!

Don't tell me however you hear "missing you" daily.....B diddly S !

Other forum members: Hey Val, this thread is actually named more than Music, so your clip was kinda cool in my book and although it does make fun of another country, I do accept that this came from a movie you watched and because you thought it was cute you posted it for our entertainment. I want to thank you for that.

Val: awww why thanks, glad someone watched it :)

yah, i will admit i ignored u :D

it was too long of an artical to read...i have a VERY short attention span...

the article's length scared me away...

and knix...I'll Be Missing You is still played A Lot...

i dont like P. Diddy...believe me, but that song is still played a lot, and actually, i do like that one song :D

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

let me translate...

Rolling On Floor Laughing My "Fat" Arse Off :P

nice one indy ;)

For the record -- I was just teasing a friend. I have NO IDEA if Val has a fat A, in fact I'd be very surprised if she did. But that's what popped into my head when I saw ROFLMFAO, since this *is* a family friendly board, and all! Seriously, DVG, don't get mad, ok?

lol i know you were :P

i was too...

i dont know why ppl get so offended about other ppl callin them fat and stuff even if they are...

its your body, be happy with it, no matter what u look like.

if u really cant be happy with who you are, then that really sucks...

all that means, is you arent spending enough time in nolf :D

cuz we love everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned hypes. I think there are several kinds of hypes, some better than others:

1. Word of mouth

2. Critical Acclaim

3. Papparazzi press

4. Marketing campaigns

Of course, these are not completely seperate. You can't get a lot of word of mouth and not get noticed by the media. And critical acclaim is also used in marketing campaigns (for example, quoting critics in ads or on posters). And then there are the stars whose marriage just happens to be in crisis when there's a new album coming out...

Anyway, like I said, some of these are better than others. I don't think people should get more attention and sell more simply because they walked into a public toilet barefoot. Or because a radio station keeps playing them over and over. That said, critics are sometimes susceptible to group think, and the general public is not known for its great taste. Nevertheless I still think the first two are definitely better than the last two.

Actual word of mouth stories hadn't happened for a long time. The last good example was Nirvana. But recently, with the aid of the internet, a number of bands have managed to make it big without a big budget. The Arctic Monkeys are the most famous example, but Arcade Fire last year and now Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are doing it as well. Could the record industry be losing its grasp on the audience?

I just came back from seeing Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and they absolutely lived up to the hype. The singer sounded a lot less like David Byrne than he does on record, and the songs sound more conventional live, but the quality really shines through. They don't have the worldconquering charisma that bands like Franz Ferdinand or Editors have, but the music is very interesting. Worth checking out! :)