Share your discoveries

This is a thread for new and interesting music you've recently discovered. There's only one rule: they can't have sold millions of albums yet. So Interpol is probably still allowed, but Franz Ferdinand is not.

I recently saw a band called The Arcade Fire (on Later... with Jools Holland). They were really good. I would try to describe their music now, if it wasn't that hard smile.gif

user posted image

Your turn!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahahahaha that's quite incredible. When I saw the title of your thread, I thought OK, maybe I'll talk about Arcade Fire laugh.gif

Here's the story... A few days ago I was looking for extracts of a French TV show that featured Killing Joke live. I google for it, and end up on a French site with album reviews, made by only one webmaster, no collaborator at all. He's written hundreds of articles so far. I take a look at his review of Killing Joke's latest album and I think WOW this guy knows how to talk about music, and how to put words on feelings. So, I sent him a mail to tell him how much I appreciated his work, especially this review, and he answered yesterday to say thank you. At the end of his mail, he says "ooooh, and if you have the time, well, there's this band I discovered recently, if you liked Killing Joke, go buy some stuff from them, they're called Arcade Fire..." smile.gif

So I guess I'll have to pick another one, eh? wink.gif OK, I know that Goo and I have already talked about this band, but pretty please, give it a try if you haven't done it yet: 16 HORSEPOWER!

I doubt that many of you have already heard about this band... Their first album was released almost ten years ago, if I remember well :

user posted image

This first opus was entitled "Wax Ecstatic". If you like good 90's rock and find it somewhere, BUY IT! smile.gif

EDIT

I've found another recent record they made, it's called "For all the Drugs in the World". It's even better than the first one.

Not to make this an all Arcade Fire thread, but I've actually bought it and here's my first impression:

The first thing you notice is the production. It sounds as if all the musicians are standing in the back of the studio, playing all at the same time, making as much noise as they can. (Of course, this doesn't happen on earphones). The next thing you notice, is that there are actually some good songs in there. The kind of melodies that are like a soundtrack to life, that conjure up memories of things that never happened. Their music is hard to define. It's trendy in the sense that it evokes memories of the eighties, through not in ways I would be able to trace. The use of violins and assorted other unusual instruments places it in the tradition of nouveau vaudeville, like Gavin Friday or Zita Swoon's early work. The weirdness and the flamboyance of way some of those instruments are used is also reminiscent of a band like Mercury Rev. On the other hand they remind me very much of a band like Xiu Xiu, especially the Robert Smith-inspired whine of the singer. But where Xiu Xiu will never be famous, Arcade Fire is a step closer to commercial success. They're too chaotic, too unintelligible, too unpigeonholeable for any kind of major success.

To add some variety, here's some more:

user posted image

Nicolette

Before there was Drum'n'Bass, there was breakbeat. And one of the most interesting albums of that era was made by a Nigerian girl, with a sweet, Billy Holiday-like voice singing over cold, rattling, arythmic beats. It worked quite well, but now was indeed early.

(You may know her from the second Massive Attack album.)

user posted image

Photek

Drum'n'Bass, like TripHop, turned out to be a bit of a creative dead end. But it did give us some very good music. Take, for example, Photek. A guy called Rupert who's into jazz. His kind of D&B was sparse, intricate, living room music. He later developed into a more techno kind of style, which isn't half as interesting (I bought that album, but actually gave it away). His early work is definitely his best.

And let's not forget....

UNICORN DREAM ATTACK!!!

• 1 month later...

I heard this topic shout "Somebody revive me!", so, here I am. smile.gif

Two great bands I discovered recently - though they're not really "recent" - thanks to wikipedia:

Pigface (not for the faint of heart)

Primus (see http://www.primuslive.com)

Both are two excellent post-punk, semi-industrial bands. Here is a list of people who played in Pigface... laugh.gif

Patti Adachi

Steve Albini of Big Black, Rapeman, and Shellac

Martin Atkins of Public Image Ltd, Ministry, Brian Brain, Killing Joke, The Love Interest, Spasm, and Murder Inc

Paul Barker of Lead into Gold, Ministry, Revolting C*cks, PTP, Acid Horse, 1000 Homo DJs, Lard, Pailhead, and Blackouts

Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys and Lard

Bella Black

Bob Dog of Evil Mothers

Bones

Casper Brotzman of Massaker

Mary Byker of Gay Bykers on Acid and Hyperhead

Meg Lee Chin (O' Leary) of Crunch and The Great White Trash

Chris Connelly of Ministry, PTP, Acid Horse, The Love Interest, FiniTribe, Murder Inc, and Revolting C*cks

Danny Carey of Tool

Arturo De Leon of Martyr Colony

Duane Dennison of The Jesus Lizard and Revolting C*cks

Mike Dillon

Taime Downe of Faster Pussycat and The Newlydeads

Hanin Elias of Atari Teenage Riot

En Esch of KMFDM

The Enigma of The Jim Rose Circus

Paul Ferguson of Killing Joke, Murder Inc, and The Orb

Dirk Flannigan of 77 Luscious Babes

Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers

Flour

Black Francis of Pixies

Fuzz of Silverfish

Dwayne Goettel of Skinny Puppy, Cyberaktif, and Doubting Thomas

Laura Gomel of Thrill Kill Kult

Michael Gira of Swans

Chris Haskett of Rollins Band

Barbara Hunter (Ruchoft) of Roundhead

Sean Joyce of Revolting C*cks

Kevin Key (AKA Kevin Crompton) of Skinny Puppy, Cyberaktif, Doubting Thomas, Dead Voices on Air and Download

Algis Kiyzs of Swans

Shonen Knife

Levi (Charles) Levi of Thrill Kill Kult and Silence

Lunar

Lydia Lunch

John Lydon of PiL and the Sex Pistols

Curse Mackey of Evil Mothers and Spasm

Jim Marcus of Die Warzau

Doug McCarthy of Nitzer Ebb

Jason McNinch of Lick

Kurt Moore

Jason More

Hope Nicholls of Sugarsmack and Fetchin' Bones

Nivek Ogre/Kevin Ogilvie of Skinny Puppy, ohgr, Revolting Cocks, and Ministry

Genesis P. Orridge (Jennifer) of Psychic TV and Throbbing Gristle

Alex Patterson of Orb

Eric Pounder of Pounder and Dead Voices on Air

Lesley Rankine of Silverfish and Ruby

Paul Raven of Prong, Murder Inc, and Killing Joke

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails

Bill Rieflin of Ministry, Revolting C*cks, Acid Horse, PTP, Lard, Pailhead, Blackouts, and Swans (wow ^^)

Matt Schultz of Lab Report

Pat Sprawl of Skinny Puppy and Dead Surf Kiss

Siggy of The Sugarcubes

David William Sims of Jesus Lizard and Scratch Acid

Louis Svitek of Mindfunk, Ministry, and Front Line Assembly

James Teitelbaum of Evil Clowns and Silence

Terry

Jim Thirlwell (AKA Clint Ruin) of Foetus, Wiseblood, Steroid Maximus, Garage Monsters, and about 19 others...

Dave Trumfio

Joe Trump of Eliott Sharp's Carbon

William Tucker of Thrill Kill Kult and Ministry

Chris Vrenna of Nine Inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins

Mark Walk of Ruby

Geordie Walker of Killing Joke

Scott Watanabe

Andrew Weiss of Rollins Band, Butthole Surfers, and Ween

David Yow of Jesus Lizard and Scratch Acid

Impressive, isn't it? rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently saw a band called Editors, and, eh, Ian Curtis lives! :P

IPB Image

They don't have enough kickass songs to fill a whole evening yet, but then again, neither do Kaiser Chiefs, or The Killers, or any other band with just one album out. It's great to see a talented band up close and personal before they get all famous and stuff. Go see them if you get the chance! :fans::fans:

(official site)

• 3 months later...
Sonic Goo' date='Jan 6 2006, 08:18 PM' post='24400']

So... nobody else here interested in discovering great new music? Just eating what the marketing machines feed you? :( :( :( :(

I blame MTV...

There is no good new music Goo-boy. Quit trying to "rage against the machine" , some little indy band comes out with some tripe, and all the "dude's" go running around like a chicken with their heads cut off. If the same bands are around in 5 years, then I'll listen to their stuff.

Music I like...

1) Metallica

2) Van Halen

3) Zepplin

4) AC/DC

5) Black Sabbath/Ozzie

6) BeeGees

7) Styx

8) STP

9) Def Leppard

10) Harry Chapin

11) Peter Frampton

12) Bob Seger

13) 3 doors down

14) Dream Theater

15) Beastie Boys

16) Run DMC

17) Four Tops

18) Joe Cocker

19) Mozart

20) Chopin

Sonic Goo' date='Jan 7 2006, 09:55 AM' post='24538']

Belladonna/GDI: I challenge you to listen to Arcade Fire, Portishead, Radiohead (particularly OK Computer), Gorillaz, Madredeus, DJ Shadow, Tindersticks, (I could do this all day :P) and not enjoy it.

I caught Portishead on Saturday Night Live and almost fell off my chair laughing it was so bad! OK, here's one slightly newish band I really like: Disturbed. They remind me so much of old fashioned heavy metal! Oh, and of course I was enchanted with the music on the art web site you sent to the forum at Christmastime.

Knix' date='Jan 7 2006, 11:14 PM' post='24708']

There is no good new music Goo-boy. Quit trying to "rage against the machine" , some little indy band comes out with some tripe, and all the "dude's" go running around like a chicken with their heads cut off. If the same bands are around in 5 years, then I'll listen to their stuff.

Music I like...

1) Metallica

2) Van Halen

3) Zepplin

4) AC/DC

5) Black Sabbath/Ozzie

6) BeeGees

7) Styx

8) STP

9) Def Leppard

10) Harry Chapin

11) Peter Frampton

12) Bob Seger

13) 3 doors down

14) Dream Theater

15) Beastie Boys

16) Run DMC

17) Four Tops

18) Joe Cocker

19) Mozart

20) Chopin

Awesome list!

I'll add

RUSH

U2

Little River Band (campy 70s stuff, I know!)

Uh, BEATLES?!?!? HELLO?!?!?

Tool

Godsmack

alice in chains

and a million more old fart bands

Knix' date='Jan 7 2006, 08:34 PM' post='24719']

Thats right, you like "Are you gonna go my way?" if I remember correctly :P

No, American Woman and Fly Away

Independent' date='Jan 7 2006, 08:39 PM' post='24720']

I caught Portishead on Saturday Night Live and almost fell off my chair laughing it was so bad!

I watched it too...they sing like sour owl sheet!

Independent' date='Jan 8 2006, 05:39 AM' post='24720']

I caught Portishead on Saturday Night Live and almost fell off my chair laughing it was so bad! OK, here's one slightly newish band I really like: Disturbed. They remind me so much of old fashioned heavy metal!

Disturbed sucks and is no ways anything like old fashioned heavy metal.

<b&b>

Huh-huh... old people...

</b&b>

So... what's so good about those bands? Apart from their ability to continue making music for over five years?

(And what's so bad about Portishead? I would really like a bit more than 'this sucks' or 'this is great' simply 'because I say so')

They are able to continue to make music for more then 5 years for the most part.....because they are profitable....because their fans buy their music....because their music is good, and has stood the test of time. Taddaa!

Can I ask you why you moved from Holland to Ireland Goo? Did you go in search of the next U2?