How to Install NOLF to 64 bit Windows Vista or Windows 7

1. Install NOLF to a Windows XP 32 bit machine.

2. Apply all the patches and official mappacks to the install.

3. Copy the installed folder from the Windows XP Machine to your Windows Vista/7 64 bit machine

(path is c:\Program Files (x86) Fox)

4. Browse inside the No One Lives Forever folder you copied over and right-click the nolf.exe and select create a shortcut and make the shortcut on your desktop.

4. Make a nolf.reg file of the following then double-click it to add it to your registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\No One Lives Forever]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\No One Lives Forever\1.0]
"WorkingDirectory"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Fox\\No One Lives Forever"
"Version"="1.004"
"Update Command Line"="-rez Nolfu003.rez -rez Nolfcres003.rez -rez nolfu004.rez"
"Content Version"="1.002"
"Content Command Line"="-rez Nolfc001.rez -rez Nolfc002.rez"

To play NOLF simply put in your nolf disc 1 and double-click the shortcut you made.

If you don't have access to a Windows XP machine and have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can visit HERE to download the Windows XP Virtual mode for Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.

If you have Windows 7 home editions or Vista make a post about your situation and we'll see about getting it sorted so you are able to play NOLF on your 64 bit computer.

Possible alternative method (If an XP option isn't available) *Note I haven't tested this method yet*

1.Copy the contents from the "game" folder onto your hard drive. (Make a new folder in Documents named "NOLF" (copy the CONTENTS of the "Game" folder to the HD folder that you create, not the "Game" folder itself)

2. Enter the "data" folder on the cd, then copy the "nolf.rez" from both cd1 and cd2 into the folder you copied onto your hard drive.

3. Place cd in drive, or mount your image and launch the NOLF.exe.

cool.gif

Edited by Eliteone
Added alternative option

• 2 months later...

in my case it was not sufficient to add the registry entries but I had also to add the following line to the command line field of the first window when starting the game:

-rez Nolfu003.rez -rez Nolfcres003.rez -rez nolfu004.rez

• 6 months later...

thanks!! this helps me alot. One problem, I only have a win 64 bit computer here. So this didnt turn out very well for me.. Is there any other ways to solve this problem? And also, can I download NOLF 2 and CJ somewere?

best regards

Oldschool Nolfer

S|-Modesty

thanks!! this helps me alot. One problem, I only have a win 64 bit computer here. So this didnt turn out very well for me.. Is there any other ways to solve this problem? And also, can I download NOLF 2 and CJ somewere?

best regards

Oldschool Nolfer

S|-Modesty

To the downloads question (In our downloads section)

On your NOLF 1 question. If you have Win 7 Professional you can download the XP mode for it and install your NOLF 1 there. Then copy it over to your Win7

Welcome to UHQ.

Thank you Eliteone.

I will try to install nolf 1 right away.

and about the downloads.. Is it illegal to download CJ and NOLF2 even tho i bought the CDs but left them at my parents house years ago?

Best Regards

S|-Modesty

If you have the media (having them at your parents house would indicate to me you own them) then yes.

Uh, how do i make a .reg file? not exactly a computer whiz here :P

Copy te quoted text into a blank notepad file. Do a file saves and save it as nolf2.reg file. Then double click te reg file to add it to your windows registry.

Copy te quoted text into a blank notepad file. Do a file saves and save it as nolf2.reg file. Then double click te reg file to add it to your windows registry.

I just did that, but its till giving the same error message as before

C:\Program Files\Fox\No One Lives Forever\NOLF.exe

The specified path does not exist.

Check the path, then try again.

Any ideas?

Use this (create the reg file with it)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\No One Lives Forever]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\No One Lives Forever\1.0]
"WorkingDirectory"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Fox\\No One Lives Forever"
"Version"="1.004"
"Update Command Line"="-rez Nolfu003.rez -rez Nolfcres003.rez -rez nolfu004.rez"
"Content Version"="1.002"
"Content Command Line"="-rez Nolfc001.rez -rez Nolfc002.rez"

Make sure you have your NOLF program in the Program Files (x86) directory. Browse to the folder afterwards and make a shortcut of the nolf.exe to your desktop to run the program.

Nevermind guys! Got it working!

Now to play this oft-forgotten gem of gaming...

WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE

Glad you got it sorted out.

• 1 month later...

I used method #2. v1.0 works like a charm. Not sure how to manually install the monolith updates though. Any way I can get around the virtual XP machine requirement?

I'll zip up the rez files from the updates and put them up on the downloads (workaround ;) )

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum having picked up NOLF in a charity shop recently. When I came to try and install it, I found that the installer itself was not compatible with 64 bit systems. The game however is perfectly compatible. I saw on here a lot of people were having trouble and having to jump through hoops like installing on an XP VM. I couldn't be bothered with that so I re-wrote the installer in NSIS. I've tested this on my PC and it works okay, but I'd appreciate others testing it for me. I also wrote a replacement installer for the patch 3. Patch 4 seems to install just fine so I didn't mess with that one. Anyway, the new installer is really simple, currently it only supports English but I am sure it could be modded easily to support other languages. The links to the files and source code are here:-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1488717/Install-NOLF.exe

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1488717/Install-NOLFUpdate003.exe

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1488717/nolf-new-installers-sourcecode.zip

Please do let me know if this works for you and report any bugs.

Hi, I'm new to this forum having picked up NOLF in a charity shop recently. When I came to try and install it, I found that the installer itself was not compatible with 64 bit systems. The game however is perfectly compatible. I saw on here a lot of people were having trouble and having to jump through hoops like installing on an XP VM. I couldn't be bothered with that so I re-wrote the installer in NSIS. I've tested this on my PC and it works okay, but I'd appreciate others testing it for me. I also wrote a replacement installer for the patch 3. Patch 4 seems to install just fine so I didn't mess with that one. Anyway, the new installer is really simple, currently it only supports English but I am sure it could be modded easily to support other languages. The links to the files and source code are here:-

http://dl.dropbox.co...nstall-NOLF.exe

http://dl.dropbox.co...LFUpdate003.exe

http://dl.dropbox.co...-sourcecode.zip

Please do let me know if this works for you and report any bugs.

NICE!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

• 1 month later...