Cloning

About the fact they published to the media before peer-review? (Naugthy, bad example, through not very serious) About cloning? (Still far away, will happen anyway, like it or not.) About stem cell research? (Since most opinions seem to be based on principles and assumptions, they don't seem affected by this.)

• 1 month later...

Maybe we could breathe some life into this topic?

Since cloned people are no different from twins, in fact probably more different due to the age difference, what exactly are people's objections to it?

My main problem with it, is that it's not really useful. It doesn't really solve any problems.

• 1 month later...

I was just talking with one of my left wing buddies and was surprised to hear him mention that Bush is against all stem cell research...well, I thought this might help this thread...

Bush has taken a lot of criticism over his stance on fetus stem cell research. What I've heard in the media is that unless Bush backs it, no progress will be made for fighting "wasting" diseases (this is still debatable as well). I believe this is wildly inaccurate.

Bush does not support federal funding of stem cell research; however, he does support the private sector in continuing stem cell research. (I think this is a common myth that needed to be clarified).

The private sector has a knack for doing things a little more efficiently than the public sector. Case in point is the foam on the space shuttle - after allowing NASA to throw a few hundred million dollars of taxpayers money at the problem, we launch the shuttle again and have the same problem - chunks of foam falling off the fuel tank. Government bureaucracy at its best!

Wait, I thought we were talking about the benefits of cloning/stem cell research tongue.gif

j/k...I just wonder if it would be like the movie Multiplicity with Michael Keaton

user posted image

where each clone gets dumber and dumber... "Peetha, I like Peetha". laugh.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I was just talking with one of my left wing buddies and was surprised to hear him mention that Bush is against all stem cell research...well, I thought this might help this thread...

Bush has taken a lot of criticism over his stance on fetus stem cell research.  What I've heard in the media is that unless Bush backs it, no progress will be made for fighting "wasting" diseases (this is still debatable as well).  I believe this is wildly inaccurate.

9492[/snapback]

Here's another tidbit:

Q: How many Presidents have funded stem cell research?

A: 1

Q: Care to guess his name:

A: George W. Bush is the only president ever to fund stem cell research. Those on the left want us to believe that Bush stepped in at the last second and stopped research just in time to prevent curing AIDS, Cancer, Obesity, Public Flatulence, et cetera, et cetera. Oh, and Christopher Reeves (or did you all forget that, during the campaign, John Edwards said "If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve will get up out of that wheelchair and walk again." What a pandering pretty boy!

Oh, speaking of which.... Go take a pee (you'll thank me in a minute), sit down, and click this link: http://slate.msn.com/id/2108216/slideshow/...08087/speed/100

What, no drama? Are you sure this is a NOLF 2 clan? Can't we at least get Knix to come over, just to bring up politics in a totally unrelated topic?

Err, nope, he's not the only one who can bring up politics in a totally unrelated topic, it seems... laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

Cloning should not be allowed because some will use it on humans and thats not right. (even if its now allowed on humans, evil ppl will use it on humans).

If I had a dog and it died and someone cloned him I would be glad of couse but I would think of him as a clone.

Sonic Goo' date='Sep 28 2005, 01:24 AM' post='15369']

Doffy: why shouldn't it be used on humans and what exactly do you think is wrong with it?

Medical reasons? Moral reasons?

Because its very wrong, there are ment to be only one of each person in this world an ONLY one person it would be moraly wrong to just clone your family if they died.

So one-egged twins are wrong too? They are genetically identical as well.

I think it doesn't work like that in practice. If you'd clone your dead family members, you'd probably be quite disappointed. They'll be much much younger, they won't share the memories you had with them. And they'd have a very different life, growing up in a different era. They would probably be quite different people, despite having the same genes.

Sonic Goo' date='Sep 28 2005, 03:34 PM' post='15398']

I think it doesn't work like that in practice. If you'd clone your dead family members, you'd probably be quite disappointed. They'll be much much younger, they won't share the memories you had with them. And they'd have a very different life, growing up in a different era. They would probably be quite different people, despite having the same genes.

So why do it? What is the advantage you get here that you can't get from normal offspring?

This is a good point. Why would we actually want cloning? Can anyone here support the notion that cloning a person to take stem cells, bone marrow, a heart, ANYTHING from the clone, would be cool/good/okay?

This reminds me of the movie "The Island" actually. They never quite noted that as a film with a message, but I saw it as a rightful shout against the idea of how cloning might be used in future medicine.

Anyway, I still believe that it's human nature and only right that we expand our knowledge about this and everything else. The mere information which we will unearth through this kind of research might offer much better insight into other ways of healing illness - such as transferring stem cells without the donor having to die.

Like I said above: my main problem with it is that I don't see a use for it. But just because it's useless doesn't make it wrong.

(The only use I can think of right now is as a step to different techniques like growing seperate organs as a spare for yourself. But I'm very unsure if it would work that way.)