A question to modders and players

Genesis

Well everybody's already noticed that the main obstacle when trying to use stealth in NOLF2 is the fact that your name makes you visible from a long distance. NOLF2 is supposed to be "realistic". I mean, it's a spy game, originaly, not a simple Quake-like. I think it'd be cool to be able to crouch in dark places, or hide behind walls without carrying this huge sign over your head saying "Hello, my name is Genesis, shoot me, will you?".

Some have understood that being able to hide your name by typing nothing (or just "space") is a big advantage, and that's why most of the servers require the use of at least a few characters in your name in order not to break the rules.

So, here are my two questions to both players and modders...

1) Players, if we were all able to hide our name in game, would you think it'd be fine? Would it ruin the fun for you, not knowing who you're shooting at before you've actually killed this player?

2) Modders, I was thinking about hiding names above people's heads only. Is it possible? The name would have to be visible in the log, and on the joining screen and score boards, though. Is it technically possible, or would you have to dig too deep in the game engine? If it's possible and raises enough interest among players, would one of you try to take care of it?

Thanks in advance...

I haven't been able to setup a poll option for this post. I saw that other people managed to do it without any problem, but this option just doesn't show up in my "new topic" window. Did I do something wrong? Am I dumb? Does God exist?

Yes it seems possible, and from what I know, it may also work on a dedicated server without everyone having to download a mod. The document for the in-game text isn't very clear, but a few guesses might do it.

If more people are interested in that, I can give it a try for modX, then I can give the tiny text file that does that sort of thing to anyone that wants to host (you must have DEdit installed if you are hosting).

I also noticed, the names sometimes goes through walls, so it gives away where the player is...Would it be a good idea to have the names still show up for your teammates (like halo)? That might also be possible.

Yes it seems possible, and from what I know, it may also work on a dedicated server without everyone having to download a mod. The document for the in-game text isn't very clear, but a few guesses might do it.

If more people are interested in that, I can give it a try for modX, then I can give the tiny text file that does that sort of thing to anyone that wants to host (you must have DEdit installed if you are hosting).

I also noticed, the names sometimes goes through walls, so it gives away where the player is...Would it be a good idea to have the names still show up for your teammates (like halo)? That might also be possible

3931[/snapback]

But what about the people who lean the whole game. Their names are the only way to spot them and kill them.

Yeah, having like a Space in your name would give the person some advantage.

1. The other team person might forgot who their shooting, and just doesn't shoot him/her.

2. When sniping, it would be harder 'cause you don't see the name.

But...

I wouldn't mind it...'cause playin' other games like CoD/UO, you become accustomed to shooting the enemy with no name.

If someone has no name, you need to remember who you're shooting at (Ninja, agent, etc).

You can still see who that Space Person is by IP Address, if that's what you were asking. You can still ban/boot him/her.

Or were you not asking that?

Hahahaha not really.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to hide everybody's name (in game) in order to play a more "realistic" game and use our ninja / superspy powaaaaaa... Without, of course, having to erase our names ourselves.

oh..

Nope! Unless someone comes up with a mod! Wait a second, it's semi-possible. 'Ya see, one person can have ONE space for their name, the other person, Two, the other...three ETC. There's like 15 spaces for your name? (Not sure)

laugh.gif Guess I have to repeat what I said ad libitum! Nah, J/K. Yeah, I was thinking about a mod, exactly. And the "space" - "two spaces" "three spaces" thing would not allow people to know who they've killed, and would make score boards impossible to read wink.gif

Well, I think I will add them to the mod pack i'm making if they work- no modx thing stuff, but separate ones (I think the mod size is only a few kB, almost nothing) that keeps gameplay the same except for names things.

I will -try- to make both versions:

• No names displayed at all- except the scoreboard, who killed who, etc. (CoD)

• Only teammates names show up (Halo style)

I really like CoD, but I don't know anyone there, well I do but I don't see them everytime I play. But with nolf2 I know almost everyone and a part of the tactic with me is who I'm shooting at. I'm I see Nova I'll be much more carefull then when I see "player0". And how much times do you use stealth?

How many times do we use stealth... good question. The reason we don't is -> we can't. Partly because of the huge names on screen. Sniping / sneaking in the enemy base in CoD is much more easy, and it really adds fun to the game.

BTW Surak, I play CoD from time to time. If you attend the same server regularly, gimme the IP, I'll see you there!

You might want to check out www.xfire.com and download it. There are already some nolf2 people who have it. Its easier to track you friends and join the same server. smile.gif

me play cod ohmy.gif

(found the sfi server but the ping is hell for me, +customs i dont have tongue.gif)

Don't compare nolf2 with cod to soon gen..

in cod you can see the head/body of the guy leaning(almost all the time,there are bugs off course tongue.gif), in nolf2 you can't(if he/she picks the right corner) so the only way to spot them is the name..

so with no names u will either get a whole server full of campers, or a few guys that camp all the time and own you hard biggrin.gif

Like most settings for servers for other games (Star Wars Battlefront, Jedi Academy and Call of Duty) there is an option for Display player name. There probably is one for nolf 2 as well so I'll play around with the settings a bit and see what happens.