MAC files?

Thank you, mike_mac! I have the "full_setup.exe" file from the UnityHQ download page. On the NOLF Modhandler front, I discovered that it really isn't doing a thing for my Mac set-up as far as multi-player maps. I deactivated all of the map files via ModHandler 2.0.1 and later found that I could still access all of the maps on the available GameSpy servers. Later on, I also discovered a way to crash the LithTech engine: by choosing a team preference (i.e. UNITY) and then joining a team match map, the game will suddenly quit after clicking on the mission briefing screen to access the actual map. Once I restarted NOLF, I immediately switched the MP player set-up for team preference to "no preference" and I could once again access all of the "H.A.R.M. vs. UNITY" maps.

Sometime later this year I'm planning on purchasing a Mac mini. With "Bootcamp" and the PC versions of NOLF 1 and NOLF 2 in tow, I'll finally be able to join the NOLF multi-player crowd and not be plagued (hopefully) by these current Mac version quirks like those I described above and, in addition, getting the error message "missing diacubical.dat" after exiting certain online MP maps. Most curious, eh. :huh:

Yay mac_mike is on the case now.

I have some more NOLF1 files that I'm going to be uploading at least though.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys !

I hadn't read this topic before but I have good news ! I currently use NOLF2 with my Snow Leopard running mac !

Just forget the NOLF2 version for mac, it's verry buggy, and you can't use mods.

Forget emulators too, these are eating CPU !

There is a very good software, that is WINEHQ, it was designed for Linux but works on Mac now. It's free and let you run your windows softwares without emulation.

The easiest way to use it is to download the free software PlayOnMac, which provides a graphic interface for Wine, which doesn't have one.

Download it and install it, and now I will explain you how to install NOLF2.

1) Use a Windows NOLF2 CD, and insert it in your computer.

2) Open PlayOnMac and click on Install. Then a fenster opens and click on "install a non-listed programm".

3) Click on Install a app on a new virtual launcher.

4) Call the virtual launcher (or bottle) how you wants to, for example NOLF2.

5) DOn't check anything in the next message

6) Then choose the installer in the disk of NOLF : setup.exe and not autorun.exe

7)Follow the instructions of NOLF2 for installation.

8) How to install Update 1.3 :

Once Nolf2 is installed,

Open PlayOnMac anc click on configuration, then select your virtual launcher and click on miscellaneous.

Click on "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive" and select Update_1.3.exe. Then it's ok.

9) Then Install the mods the way you use to do that.

10) Finally add this file msvcirt.dll in the folder : /Users/yourname/Library/PlayOnMac/wineprefix/nameofyourvirtuallaucnher/drive_c/windows/system32

11) Then open PlayOnMac, go to configuration, click on wine, and go to wine configuration. Select Application and select Windows 7 in Windows version.

12) Then you can run NOLF2, all work perfectly, you can use Join-by-ip, and host with a dedicated server!

I hope it helped !

Martin.

• 5 months later...
Hi Guys ! I hadn't read this topic before but I have good news ! I currently use NOLF2 with my Snow Leopard running mac ! Just forget the NOLF2 version for mac, it's verry buggy, and you can't use mods. Forget emulators too, these are eating CPU ! There is a very good software, that is WINEHQ, it was designed for Linux but works on Mac now. It's free and let you run your windows softwares without emulation. The easiest way to use it is to download the free software PlayOnMac, which provides a graphic interface for Wine, which doesn't have one. Download it and install it, and now I will explain you how to install NOLF2. 1) Use a Windows NOLF2 CD, and insert it in your computer. 2) Open PlayOnMac and click on Install. Then a fenster opens and click on "install a non-listed programm". 3) Click on Install a app on a new virtual launcher. 4) Call the virtual launcher (or bottle) how you wants to, for example NOLF2. 5) DOn't check anything in the next message 6) Then choose the installer in the disk of NOLF : setup.exe and not autorun.exe 7)Follow the instructions of NOLF2 for installation. 8) How to install Update 1.3 : Once Nolf2 is installed, Open PlayOnMac anc click on configuration, then select your virtual launcher and click on miscellaneous. Click on "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive" and select Update_1.3.exe. Then it's ok. 9) Then Install the mods the way you use to do that. 10) Finally add this file msvcirt.dll in the folder : /Users/yourname/Library/PlayOnMac/wineprefix/nameofyourvirtuallaucnher/drive_c/windows/system32 11) Then open PlayOnMac, go to configuration, click on wine, and go to wine configuration. Select Application and select Windows 7 in Windows version. 12) Then you can run NOLF2, all work perfectly, you can use Join-by-ip, and host with a dedicated server! I hope it helped ! Martin.

I followed your instructions Martin, but when I run the game it says: "A hardware TnL device was unable to be created. This could be due to either not having DirectX 8.1 installed or not having a hardware TnL capable video card. Both of these are required to play No One Lives Forever 2 and although you can continue to play the game by pressing OK, please note that it is not officially supported and may result in crashes, lockups, and poor performance." I then press OK and it crashes and says: "Error initializing the renderer. In order to play No One Lives Forever 2 you must have DirectX 8.1 installed."

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, and I even ran the DirectX installer in the virtual drive to be sure it was installed. Any ideas?

I actually just solved the problem myself. I just hadn't logged out after PlayonMac had installed XQuartz, thus it hadn't become my default X11 application and therefore the game was not working properly. Now everything seems to be fine. Thanks for the instructions Martin!

I actually just solved the problem myself. I just hadn't logged out after PlayonMac had installed XQuartz, thus it hadn't become my default X11 application and therefore the game was not working properly. Now everything seems to be fine. Thanks for the instructions Martin!

Glad you got it all sorted.