lizzelizzel

MAC files?

Hey everyone, I've played on and off for years.

Recently, after finding this site, I decided to start up my game, yet it no longer works.

I'm a MAC user and don't see any topics about macplay patches around here.

If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it. Everytime I attempt to play I get the 'Insert NOLF2 disc" yet it's in there, then I tried the no cd patch and it still didn't work.

I also can't find the mac patch 1.3 anywhere. :(

Hey everyone, I've played on and off for years.

Recently, after finding this site, I decided to start up my game, yet it no longer works.

I'm a MAC user and don't see any topics about macplay patches around here.

If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it. Everytime I attempt to play I get the 'Insert NOLF2 disc" yet it's in there, then I tried the no cd patch and it still didn't work.

I also can't find the mac patch 1.3 anywhere. :(

Welcome to the forum. I'll see if I have that patch still.

You'll need to use the Livesforever mod to avoid the CD key error.

Welcome to the forum. I'll see if I have that patch still.

You'll need to use the Livesforever mod to avoid the CD key error.

Thanks for replying. I actually got my game to run due to my husband torrenting something to for me. I can't hear anything, which sucks but I'm not such a great player that it even matters, but I can't start the game with the livesforever rez file. I tried the mod handler, I could only get version one, and that didn't work.

Are you aware of any directions that are mac specific to get this game rolling again? I am using the OS snow leopard if that is any help. I'd love to be able to play online again with the others, but the join ip tool is an exe and I can't run it. :(

Thanks again for your help. I realize i"m in the minority here with my mac. I just miss playing!

Thanks for replying. I actually got my game to run due to my husband torrenting something to for me. I can't hear anything, which sucks but I'm not such a great player that it even matters, but I can't start the game with the livesforever rez file. I tried the mod handler, I could only get version one, and that didn't work.

Are you aware of any directions that are mac specific to get this game rolling again? I am using the OS snow leopard if that is any help. I'd love to be able to play online again with the others, but the join ip tool is an exe and I can't run it. :(

Thanks again for your help. I realize i"m in the minority here with my mac. I just miss playing!

Found this article might be worth checking.

Wednesday, April 28, 2004 Send mac games news to:

news@insidemacgames.com

QuickTime Update Corrects NOLF2 Sound Issue

8:08 AM | Johan Hansén | Comment on this story

Apple has released a small update to their QuickTime software, bringing it to version 6.5.1. The changes are mostly related to general audio handling, but an astute IMG Forum reader noticed the update also appears to have fixed the audio playback issue plaguing MacPlay's first person shooter No One Lives Forever 2.

The bug made it hard to play the game using OS X 10.3 Panther and on Jaguar with QuickTime 6.4 or later. While no official word is out from MacPlay, it has been tested on an IMG staff computer with successful results.

From the update's readme file:

QuickTime 6.5.1 delivers many important updates, including:

# Apple Lossless Encoder, a new lossless audio codec that retains the full quality of uncompressed CD audio while requiring only about half the storage space.

# Significant improvements to AAC encoding, resulting in high-quality sound over a full range of audio frequencies.

# Enhanced support for iTunes and other QuickTime-based applications.

The update is currently available from Apple's QuickTime download. It should show up on Software Update shortly, but until then you can find the download below.

You should be able to follow this (as far as file placement and how to get the LivesForever mod to run with your game.

Click HERE for Livesforever setup

If you'll get the patch for your Nolf2, you can try to use the GameTracker Client to join a server, instead of using the Join by IP Tool! ;)

Edited by {IF} Crusader

If you'll get the patch for your Nolf2, you can try to use the GameTracker Client to join a server, instead of using the Join by IP Tool! ;)

Thanks everyone!

I've been doing some research and it looks like snow leopard really did a number on NOLF.

I tried the quicktime download and I still have no sound. As I said before, that's not a huge deal, but still a bummer.

I will try the game tracker, but the livesforever rez file won't let my game start up when I put it where it's supposed to be.

I'm going to google more and try to find a mac community dedicated to undoing the evils of os upgrades on games!

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone!

I've been doing some research and it looks like snow leopard really did a number on NOLF.

I tried the quicktime download and I still have no sound. As I said before, that's not a huge deal, but still a bummer.

I will try the game tracker, but the livesforever rez file won't let my game start up when I put it where it's supposed to be.

I'm going to google more and try to find a mac community dedicated to undoing the evils of os upgrades on games!

Thanks again!

Run NOLF2 click the custom button then enable the Livesforever mod.

I've been reading about the Snow Leopard and compatibility with older games. Do you have the option to use boot camp in Leopard? (lets you boot up a Windows partition)

Some of my Mac friends use Parallel's Virtual Windows for Mac to run some of their apps. Might be worth looking into.

Run NOLF2 click the custom button then enable the Livesforever mod.

I've been reading about the Snow Leopard and compatibility with older games. Do you have the option to use boot camp in Leopard? (lets you boot up a Windows partition)

Some of my Mac friends use Parallel's Virtual Windows for Mac to run some of their apps. Might be worth looking into.

Sadly, there is no Custom option for me in the menu when the game starts ever. And no, no boot camp, atl east not enough room to run windows on here too.

I'll look up virtual windows, though I don't really want to buy a whole new copy. We'll see! Thanks for your help!

Sadly, there is no Custom option for me in the menu when the game starts ever.

You need to place LivesForever mode in your mode folder.

(.../Custom/Mods/LivesForever/LivesForever.rez )

Then you should have the custom tab in the thing that apperas before you start the game :)

The Mac version of Nolf 2 doesn't have the launcher. It takes you straight into the game's main menu. There used to be the NOLF Modhandler tool that let you set all of this up outside the game, but it hasn't been updated in five years so I don't know if it is still available or even works.

You need to place LivesForever mode in your mode folder.

(.../Custom/Mods/LivesForever/LivesForever.rez )

Then you should have the custom tab in the thing that apperas before you start the game :)

I understand, but the game won't start with the livesforever.rez file in the mods folder. Just to experiment I've tried placing it in other places and while the game started up, there was still no custom option. This is probably strictly a mac thing. I've searched other forums and I seem to be the only mac user who still wants to play nolf2(I'm probably exaggerating but I can't find any evidence to the contrary!).

I understand, but the game won't start with the livesforever.rez file in the mods folder. Just to experiment I've tried placing it in other places and while the game started up, there was still no custom option. This is probably strictly a mac thing. I've searched other forums and I seem to be the only mac user who still wants to play nolf2(I'm probably exaggerating but I can't find any evidence to the contrary!).

I think I still have the nolf mod handler file Dragon is referring too.

If I have it I'll get it uploaded to the downloads.

Hey Lizzel,

you are not the only Mac user wanting to play NOLF2. I am one. Right now I´m using my Mac and Snow Lepard, but when I play Nolf, which I do every night, I start my bootcamp and WinXP. Yes: I bought Windows and the Windows-Nolf-Copy when the master server shut down. As far as I know, thats the only way. :mellow:

But its worth it! Become a windows-user once a day for nolfing!

Cheers, Hugo

I think I still have the nolf mod handler file Dragon is referring too.

If I have it I'll get it uploaded to the downloads.

You can download the Mod Handler from our downloads now

Here

One other option to consider is CodeWeavers' CrossOver Games for Macintosh product, if you have an Intel-based Mac. It allows you to run Windows versions of games such as NOLF2, and there is at least one user that reports that the game works after a few tweaks are made:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/b...me/?app_id=2441

I use the Linux version of CrossOver, so I can't comment on how well NOLF2 works with a Mac. However, you can try the full product for 30 days on a trial basis.

The CrossOver Games for Mac system requirements are listed here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/requirements/

Good luck in finding a solution!

<!--quoteo(post=94789:date=Dec 29 2010, 01:29 AM:name=Eliteone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eliteone @ Dec 29 2010, 01:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=94789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can download the Mod Handler from our downloads now

<a href="http://sficlan.net/Unityhq/forums/forums/index.php?showtopic=2375" target="_blank">Here</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you! If this works I'll let you guys know!

Hi lizzelizzel.

I feel your pain as I am a Mac user too and feel we are in a NOLF minority. Don't fret though, because I might be able to help in some ways. I just joined this forum after reading your post! I only discovered NOLF/NOLF2 quite recently in 2009 and hunted out the Mac versions especially to play them and they both work in Tiger!

Just a few things I have discovered and a few questions...

~ What version of Mac OS did you play NOLF on BEFORE Snow Leopard?

~ If your NOLF2 did run on a PowerPC Mac it should run on an Intel Mac with Rosetta.

To explain that... Rosetta in Mac OS X allows PowerPC apps to run in Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard (very much like how Classic allowed Mac OS 9 apps to run in Mac OS X up to Tiger).

~ The problems with sound may be a conflict with the newer Intel Mac architecture.

The previously mentioned QuickTime 6.5.1 update (sorry Eliteone) is too old for Snow Leopard. So as to not cause problems with the rest of your Mac system the version you SHOULD have with Snow Leopard is QuickTime X. Find your version of QuickTime via System Preferences > QuickTime > About QuickTime... (or similar). It may be necessary to pop in your Snow Leopard install DVD and re-install QuickTime to put the new version back on your machine.

~ As for a No CD Patch, ignore the Livesforever mod (sorry again, Eliteone).

This particular patch (and the 1.3 Retail patch) in the Downloads are both PC only. But not to worry, I have both Mac patches that do work on my copies of NOLF2 on Mac OS X Tiger. As a bonus the NOLF2 No CD Patch for Mac I found awhile ago has already been updated to Retail 1.3 version 23 (the latest Macplay update I could find). BTW, the old macplay.com web address now goes to a shite game website NOT related to old MacPlay games.

~ When I am allowed to (Eliteone?) I could upload these Mac files for NOLF2...

~ NOLF2 No CD Patch for Mac (just a patched NOLF2 app for Mac).

~ NOLF2 1.3 Retail Patch for Mac (as separate to the No CD Patch).

~ BTW, for now, ignore ModHandler for Mac (even version 2.0.1!).

Currently it is still just too buggy. I've tried it on my NOLF2 and it just doesn't want to play.

Well, hope any of this helps you and any other Mac players of NOLF who may come across it.

Cheers

MIKE

--

iBook G4, 933 MHz PowerPC, 640 MB RAM, Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11, NOLF1 GOTY Ed. & NOLF2 1.3 ver 23 [No CD]

Hi lizzelizzel.

I feel your pain as I am a Mac user too and feel we are in a NOLF minority. Don't fret though, because I might be able to help in some ways. I just joined this forum after reading your post! I only discovered NOLF/NOLF2 quite recently in 2009 and hunted out the Mac versions especially to play them and they both work in Tiger!

Just a few things I have discovered and a few questions...

~ What version of Mac OS did you play NOLF on BEFORE Snow Leopard?

~ If your NOLF2 did run on a PowerPC Mac it should run on an Intel Mac with Rosetta.

To explain that... Rosetta in Mac OS X allows PowerPC apps to run in Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard (very much like how Classic allowed Mac OS 9 apps to run in Mac OS X up to Tiger).

~ The problems with sound may be a conflict with the newer Intel Mac architecture.

The previously mentioned QuickTime 6.5.1 update (sorry Eliteone) is too old for Snow Leopard. So as to not cause problems with the rest of your Mac system the version you SHOULD have with Snow Leopard is QuickTime X. Find your version of QuickTime via System Preferences > QuickTime > About QuickTime... (or similar). It may be necessary to pop in your Snow Leopard install DVD and re-install QuickTime to put the new version back on your machine.

~ As for a No CD Patch, ignore the Livesforever mod (sorry again, Eliteone).

This particular patch (and the 1.3 Retail patch) in the Downloads are both PC only. But not to worry, I have both Mac patches that do work on my copies of NOLF2 on Mac OS X Tiger. As a bonus the NOLF2 No CD Patch for Mac I found awhile ago has already been updated to Retail 1.3 version 23 (the latest Macplay update I could find). BTW, the old macplay.com web address now goes to a shite game website NOT related to old MacPlay games.

~ When I am allowed to (Eliteone?) I could upload these Mac files for NOLF2...

~ NOLF2 No CD Patch for Mac (just a patched NOLF2 app for Mac).

~ NOLF2 1.3 Retail Patch for Mac (as separate to the No CD Patch).

~ BTW, for now, ignore ModHandler for Mac (even version 2.0.1!).

Currently it is still just too buggy. I've tried it on my NOLF2 and it just doesn't want to play.

Well, hope any of this helps you and any other Mac players of NOLF who may come across it.

Cheers

MIKE

--

iBook G4, 933 MHz PowerPC, 640 MB RAM, Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11, NOLF1 GOTY Ed. & NOLF2 1.3 ver 23 [No CD]

No worries Mike glad to have a Mac expert onboard.

I'll send you a PM for more info on the Mac files.

No worries Mike glad to have a Mac expert onboard.

I'll send you a PM for more info on the Mac files.

Hi Eliteone. How are you?

On another MAC files related note, especially ones concerning custom REZ options:

While having a look around my NOLF1 and NOLF2 [both Mac] folders I have discovered a few things...

~ Amongst each NOLF folder there a number of text files that hold various readable settings.

~ DON'T fiddle with anything in these folders unless you're confident in what you're doing!

~ Since the Mac versions of NOLF do not have a Custom menu option these files may help.

In the NOLF1 [Mac] NOLF data folder there are two useful text files...

~ The file nolfcmds.txt stores some interesting load commands such as...

LITHTECH.EXE -windowtitle "No One Lives Forever" -rez NOLF.REZ -rez NOLF -rez custom +ScreenWidth 1024
+ScreenHeight 768 +DisableSound 0 +DisableMovies 0 +DisableMusic 0 +DisableFog 0

~ These commands are basically meaningless since on the Mac the NOLF1 launcher App lets you choose these settings

...without having to type on a command line. Note that this may be a throwback from porting from the PC platform since it

...refers to the LITHTECH.EXE, which don't work on Macs.

~ Do also note that it does only list one REZ data file, NOLF.REZ, where most of the Mac game data is stored for NOLF1.

...This NOLF.REZ file weighs in at 768.7 MB and excludes sound data found in the other NOLF folder in the NOLF folder.

~ The file startup.txt may be more useful for custom REZ files and has these commands...

[Rez]
Rez0 = "nolf"
Rez1 = "nolf.rez"
Rez2 = "nolf2.rez"
Rez3 = "nolfdll.rez"
Rez4 = "nolfl.rez"
Rez5 = "nolfu003.rez"
Rez6 = "nolfc001.rez"
Rez7 = "nolfc002.rez"

~ These are where NOLF1 REZ resources are located. Rez0 is the NOLF folder where all the game sounds and music are.

~ Rez1 is the main NOLF.REZ data file (as above), where Rez2 through Rez7 are within the hierarchy of NOLF.REZ. These

...more than likely would be similar to the PC command line options for REZ files. I'll test that theory on my Mac soon.

As for NOLF2 [Mac], in the 'data' folder of the NOLF2 game folder is...

~ The file launchcmds.txt, which by name describes what it contains...

-windowtitle "No One Lives Forever 2" -rez GAME.rez -rez sound.rez -rez GAME2.rez -rez GAMEdll.rez -rez Sound.rez
-rez GAMEl.rez -rez custom -rez GAMEp.rez -rez GAMEp2.rez +multiplayer 0 +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +DisableTripBuf
0 +DisableHardwareCursor 0 +DisableHardwareSound 0 +DisableSoundFilters 0 +SetPerformanceLevel .DefaultMid +ScreenWidth
800 +ScreenHeight 600 +BitDepth 32 

~ These commands look more like the command line options available on PC versions of NOLF.

~ As with NOLF1, the NOLF2 launcher App allows the setting of default graphics & sound settings before loading the game.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I might begin posting a series of tutorials of how to skin for NOLF without using DEdit.

~ Will relate to NOLF data files and programs used on Mac & PC too.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mike_mac

Good info for Mac users. :specool:

Hello! I'm posting here for the first time and I'd like to know about any new info concerning running single-player custom maps in both NOLF 1 and NOLF 2 for the Mac. I can't get the two SP NOLF 2 custom maps to run at all since there isn't any way to access them via the start up game interface. I haven't been able to find any SP custom maps for NOLF 1, so I don't know about how they will run on my current system. NOLF ModHandler 2.0.1 seems to only allow me to access maps in the MP mode for NOLF 1.

Welcome to the forum. I'll check my archives and see if I still have any of the custom maps for NOLF1. If I do I'll upload them to the downloads.

Welcome to the forum. I'll check my archives and see if I still have any of the custom maps for NOLF1. If I do I'll upload them to the downloads.

Thank you very much, Eliteone! I downloaded "The Forgotten Bunker" file and loaded it in NOLF ModHandler 2.0.1 and checked the box for "Specify Command Line" and fired up my NOLF 1 application file. I can't find this "Forgotten Bunker" mission in the level select screen. I'm sorry to go off topic a bit by bringing up NOLF 1 here once again, but this is a Mac thread at least. This may seem like a stupid question, but what am I supposed to be seeing in the game's start up screen and how do I select and run "The Forgotten Bunker" mission??? :blush:

Edited by Largo

Thank you very much, Eliteone! I downloaded "The Forgotten Bunker" file and loaded it in NOLF ModHandler 2.0.1 and checked the box for "Specify Command Line" and fired up my NOLF 1 application file. I can't find this "Forgotten Bunker" mission in the level select screen. I'm sorry to go off topic a bit by bringing up NOLF 1 here once again, but this is a Mac thread at least. This may seem like a stupid question, but what am I supposed to be seeing in the game's start up screen and how do I select and run "The Forgotten Bunker" mission??? :blush:

Hi Largo.

And welcome fellow Mac user to UnityHQ! Hmmm, I have been trying to get SP map mods to work with NOLF too. Since many or most maps and mods for the NOLF games are made by PC fans, we Mac gamers tend to be overlooked. It seems the Mac developers who do the ports think that Mac gamers wouldn't be interested in mod packs. Odd!

I do have a question Largo. Do you have a Mac version of the Forgotten Bunker or is it the full_setup.exe file that is in the file downloadable from UnityHQ downloads? I'm going to fire up Virtual PC to have a look what is in this self-extracting .exe file. As for Command Line options for NOLF1 or NOLF2, I'll do a bit more digging and let you know promptly.

Cheers

Mike