NOLF2 source code released under the GPL

nolf2liberator

The NOLF2 source code has been released under the GPLv2 by Touchdown Entertainment. Along with the game source code, you will find the engine source code, as well the tools behind it. It's great news for the entire NOLF2 modding community, since now we'll be able to keep the game alive!

I have uploaded the package to free services since the Touchdown Entertainment website is down: http://www.multiupload.com/WBO4EQHRAE

Interesting news. Wonder if this means that it is considered "abandonware" as well?

No, it wouldn't be abandonware (which isn't a legal term). Assuming that the GPL release is true, this isn't any different from id releasing the Quake game *engines* as GPL. They still control the copyrighted Quake *games* (art assets, music, etc.). It would be good to have independent verification of the GPL release. Is there a link to a press release from the owners or other confirmation?

No, it wouldn't be abandonware (which isn't a legal term). Assuming that the GPL release is true, this isn't any different from id releasing the Quake game *engines* as GPL. They still control the copyrighted Quake *games* (art assets, music, etc.). It would be good to have independent verification of the GPL release. Is there a link to a press release from the owners or other confirmation?

I haven't found anything yet (independant) I'll post it if I do.