Favourite music area?

Guest BritneySpears

Which is your favourite music period?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite music period?

• 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • 20s

Guest BritneySpears

Mine the the 90's. It was when Britney became famous with Baby One More Time. In the ninetees Madonna was great. She made techno and sexy musik but also ballads. It was a period with many different types of music.

70's, definitely. Well, let's say '69-'81. Sooo many great artists back then... And many of them are still around, which is unfortunately not the case for most 60's and 80's people. The first ones because of drugs, Southern Comfort being too cheap, or stupid accidents, the others because ... making more than 3 albums in the 80's was quite a performance.

I know, there were great bands in the 80's too... smile.gif

And Brit, it's not "AREA", like in "Area 51", it's just "ERA". Well at least you had all the letters wink.gif

The nineties was the most important era of music 'for me'. In the early nineties, I liked what was on the radio like every eleven year old. As time went by, I began to discover new friends and new perspectives. My friends weren't rebels per se, they had a very pure and honest nature about them. My friend Mark was a drummer in a band yet was not afraid to tell people that his favorite song was 'Wind Beneath My Wings'. I had previously decided to not limit myself as far as my musical tastes go-to not care what anyone else thought if you will.

With the propagation of CDs in the early nineties and the MP3 trading of the late nineties, the quintessential aspect of nineties music was 'choice'. There were literally tens of thousands of bands throughout the country and the world that could all of the sudden be heard. There were more choices in music stores than ever before-I felt very enriched because of that. And besides, Tori Amos broke out in the nineties wink.gif

user posted image

I think every era has it's good and bad music. It's just our collective memories that changes that. Some eras are forgotten, while others are overrated. For example, the 60s and 70s have been very highly rated because of the dominance of the baby boom generation. It's their music and they were everywhere. Right now there seems to be an 80s revival going on (the 80s were for a long time considered an age of crappy music). Still, I picked now. Because I think music is the most interesting when it's fresh, when it's still developing.

The 80's, todays music sucks. Stars like Madonna and Prince made very catchy music in the 80's. There will be a moment music can't go more modern anymore. These days it hasen't got good pop songs anymore. It's all about the look of the star. Only R&B is popular. Bad times for music, almost all singers say it.

The 80's, todays music sucks. Stars like Madonna and Prince made very catchy music in the 80's. There will be a moment music can't go more modern anymore. These days it hasen't got good pop songs anymore. It's all about the look of the star. Only R&B is popular. Bad times for music, almost all singers say it.

3821[/snapback]

Uh, people have said that for almost 500 years smile.gif We still have A B C D E F G (for french people, Do Ré Mi Fa Sol La Si) and well, music is still changing. It changed before, and it will go on that way.

Oh, a question for Goo : Tell me why do french people use Do, Ré, etc. instead of A, B, ... and I'll kiss ya. A clue : the answer's in Lyon. In St Jean.

Guest BritneySpears
Factor,May 19 2005, 01:31 AM]gotta love the '90s...

I'll Be - GooGoo Dolls...come on...best song ever!

and thats when Spice Girls were big too! tongue.gif

3878[/snapback]

Yeah in the 90s there were sooo many boy and girl bands. Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Atomic Kitten, Five, etc etc...

I may be a bit strange here, but my favorite music is techno, especially the subgenres of progressive house and breakbeats. I voted for the 80's because that was the music I grew up on. However, the early early 90's I'll have to include in this because of a lot of the new "alternative" bands that ruled the day, such as Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana. Also something interesting is that the late 80's to early '90s was when electronic house music was reinvented from remnants of some types of disco, and is evolving even today. Techno going on 15 years old now!

Genesis,May 18 2005, 05:37 PM]

Oh, a question for Goo : Tell me why do french people use Do, Ré, etc. instead of A, B, ... and I'll kiss ya. A clue : the answer's in Lyon. In St Jean.

3829[/snapback]

solfege

In music and sight singing solfege or solmization is a way of assigning syllables to degrees or steps of the diatonic scale. In order, they are: Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, and Do (for the octave). In India, the origin of Solfege was to be found in Vedic texts like the Upanishads, which discuss a musical system of seven notes, realized ultimately in what is known as sargam. Much later in the West it was a pedagogical technique created by Guido of Arezzo; These names are still used for the notes in Latin countries while in Germanic countries the names of letters of the alphabet are used.

Etymology

"Solfege" came from French solfège in the 1910s. The French word in turn came from the Italian solfeggio, which is a combination of sol and fa. Its equivalent since Early Modern English is sol-fa.

The syllable names come from a formerly well-known medieval hymn, entitled Ut queant laxis, in which each successive verse starts on the next higher scale degree in the major scale; The first syllable in each verse corresponds to the solfege syllable, with the exception of the first, "Ut," which was changed to the more singable "Do." The original hymn did not start a phrase upon the seventh scale degree. To fill in this gap, at a later time the Ti (or sometimes Si) was added to the repertoire.

Ut queant laxis

Ut queant laxis or Hymnus in Ioannem is a hymn to Saint John the Baptist written by Paolo Diacono (ca 720 - 799) of Italy. It is notable in that the first syllable of each line gave its name to a successive note of the major scale in solfege, as each line begins with the successively higher note, until the last line, which returns to "sol". The lyrics are:

Ut queant laxis

Resonare fibris

Mira gestorum

Famuli tuorum,

Solve polluti

Labii reatum,

Sancte Ioannes.

(So that (Ut) these your servants (Fa) may, with all their voice, resound (Re) your marvelous (Mi) exploits, clean (Sol) the guilt from our stained lips (La), O Saint John.)

Ut is now mostly replaced by do due to the latter's open sound, probably inspired by the word Dominus (Lord). Si has been replaced by ti in English.

The use of Ut queant laxis to name the notes is usually attributed to Guido of Arezzo.

Nothing about Lyon, though... unsure.gif

Hehe not bad, Goo. smile.gif Well why Lyon? Because this famous medieval hymn (with Do instead of Ut and Si instead of Ti) was first played, and is STILL played, by the enormous clock that was build inside the St Jean Cathedral during the early 16th century. In fact St Jean is a "primatiale", which means that it's the most important church of France even if it's definitely not the biggest one. That's where the Cardinal in charge of the whole country lives.

Sorry for this off-topic historical explanation. Goo deservres a cookie anyway... wink.gif

The clock - the pictures don't show anyone standing next to it, unfortunately. You have to imagine that this thing is more than 18ft-tall :

user posted image