"Master Server Down" Explanation

Ok...so sue me...I'm an old fart who still doesn't even understand how those "magic pictures" appear in dat box in my living room called a TV. So I REALLY don't understand everything about the internet, online games, servers, master servers, etc...

NOLF2 is really my first "online game".

I notice that people can "host" games online, and certain clans like SFI and Unity have I guess "dedicated servers" to host games.

So what's a "master server" for then?

If the people are playing on SFI or Unity's computers...what's the "master server" do? (this may seem like an idiotic question to those in the know...but I don't really get it.) AND...if for some GOD forsaken reason...Sierra decides..."screw it...we don't give a rat's pitoot about NOLF2 anymore...were shutting down it's "master server"...would someone be able to set something up to continue on so people could play online...even tho Sierra dumped the game?

Also on that line of thought...supposed you buy NOLF2...wanna play online...and for whatever reason...some 13 yr old pimply faced kid is in charge of the only server that host's the multiplayer levels. (like in charge of SFI or Unity's server's...which are really the only constant servers I ever see)

And for whatever reason...you piss this pimply faced 13 yr old off just because of some unfair reason let's say...he just don't like you...and he logs your IP and bans you from the server...

Are you screwed for life...and can never ever play NOLF2 online again...???

Just because of some immature pimply faced kid that don't like you, cause maybe you kicked his 'donkey' too many times in DM or he doesn't like where you place your bananas etc.?

Are you basically at da mercy of whomever is hosting the online game?

Do you gotta kiss their butts just to stay online?

Can you complain to Sierra about stuff like that...like getting bumped off because somebody is just a jerk and has his hand on the button to ban you?

I never understood how all that worked.

(And by the way...did I tell you how lovely you look today Eliteone...?) biggrin.gif

wink.gif

OK Heywood, here's a lil' explanation :

The "master servers" are setup by game producers to ensure that people won't use cracks or warez. For example, the Sierra master servers for NOLF2 check your CD-key each time you try to join an internet multiplayer game. It also provides (used to provide, in this case) patches and updates so that everyone has the same version of the game...

So, when you try to join a game, before connecting to SFI or Unity or whatever the server, it connects to Sierra's first. So, if these servers are down, no joining, no playing, no fun sad.gif

Let's hope this won't last for too long... Even if Elite knows a way to shortcut the master servers, we won't use this hack unless we're SURE that Sierra will not fix things up someday. Otherwise, anybody could join, should they not have a valid (legal) CD-key. No good. Hope they'll keep us informed mellow.gif

Actually a Master Server does more than just check keys. It broadcasts the servers that are running. The servers when set up properly broadcast a "here I am" that the master server receives. The master server then creates the server list you see when you browse for servers when you launch your game. Now the current server issue sierra is having most likely has to do with the cd key authentcation as other server browsers like gamespy show the servers up and running (going to need to clear out the cobwebs soon in them LOL)

Ps Don't go giving to much info on that "workaround" genesis tongue.gif

Now, let's talk about "dedicated servers" for those who don't know what it means, exactly.

You know that you can host a game directly from NOLF2, or from many other games. OK. Most games also come with a seperate program. It runs just what you need to host a game, not to play it. For example, it doesn't have to generate the graphics, since the players will use their own computer for that. Then, if you wish to host a game, but don't necessarily wish to PLAY it, you can run this program instead of the regular game and you have your own dedicated server up 'n' running! Yeeha! Of course, you still can launch NOLF2 on the same computer and join your own server, your ping will be zero... but the best thing to do in this case is : 1 comp to host, 1 comp to play. This way, you won't eat too much ressources and won't slow the server too much.

Elite knows all there is to kow about dedicated servers. Feel free to ask her any question wink.gif

Last point... you said:

Are you screwed for life...and can never ever play NOLF2 online again...???

Ayup, in a way. That's the problem in NOLF, NOLF2 and CJ, at least, because we're a very small community. Not many servers, as you could see. A good solution would be to host your own server, then. But we at SFI would never boot ya, Heywood biggrin.gif

Just make sure to use the contact Sierra link in the Tech section so they know how many this is affecting biggrin.gif

If the master servers all went down for good, we could just all go to E1's house and have a big LAN party for the rest of our lives!  I'll bring the beer and Doritos!

3725[/snapback]

And Gummi Bears too Uncle Indy...? Wouldja...wouldja...wouldja...huh...huh...huh...???

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Check the servers everyone to see if you can get in the unity and SFI servers I've rebooted them and I see 3 people in Unity nolf 2 DM already so maybe they are communicating with the master server now.

I'm still getting "Invalid CD Key". Are the servers down again or does it mean someone has actually stolen my CD key? They were very sneaky if they did, I was playing fine a couple of days ago!

No, ignore me...I just tried again and its fine. WoooHoooo!!

Damn this copy-protection 'frell'!!!

I have one key-but two computers. Now, what i wanna do is to host with one, and play with the other. Why should I have to have 2 keys for that??

I finally got back into nolf2 after some down-period, and then I disconnect to launch my "server-computer". Guess what: Invalid cd-key. ok, damn i thought. I reconnect with the first computer i got back in with. Guess what! Invalid cd-key.

So now I have to wait 24 hours before i can play again. THANKS SIERRA. I HATE YOU!

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

There are people playing in the SFI DM server as of this post. Have you rebooted your PC since the master server outage?

XBowJoe you can buy nolf 2 for about $10 so you can have more than one person playing in your house wink.gif

Today I'm still getting the "Invalid CD-Key" message, so I decided to try that "IP join" and... IT WORKS!!!

There were no players (except me) at that moment, so I leave the game (not quit, just leave) and try to join again on "Multiplayer (Internet)" option at the main menu to join a Coop server.

And... Surprise! This time, no "Invalid CD-Key" messages, and now I can play NOLF2 again!

And for the first time (for me) the two boxes below the MP Menu brought messages about "Register the game" and something like that... Very strange...

cool.gif

Finally got a reply to my email from VU

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support.

My name is Grace. I am a Technical Support Engineer and will be

Interacting with you on the issue you are experiencing.

As I understand from reading your mail, when you try to register the CD key for No One Lives Forever 2, you receive CD key already in use error message.

The issue you are experiencing may be due to the fact that the servers are temporarily down. Concerned engineers are actively working on it and we are confident that the issue will be resolved at the earliest. Please try playing the game after some time and let us know if the issue persists. We appreciate your patience in this regard.

Regards,

Grace

Vivendi Universal Games Technical Support

So like she said if you encounter issues let them know

Damn this copy-protection 'frell'!!!

I have one key-but two computers. Now, what i wanna do is to host with one, and play with the other. Why should I have to have 2 keys for that??

I finally got back into nolf2 after some down-period, and then I disconnect to launch my "server-computer". Guess what: Invalid cd-key. ok, damn i thought. I reconnect with the first computer i got back in with. Guess what! Invalid cd-key.

So now I have to wait 24 hours before i can play again. THANKS SIERRA. I HATE YOU!

mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

3764[/snapback]

if you host with the one and then join through LAN u shouldn't have no problems with it i did that alot mellow.gif

Scorp's right, you can web-host on one comp and join through your LAN connection with the other one.

Launch the dedicated server on the first one, as usual. Launch NOLF2 on your second comp, and click "join LAN game". It worked for me, no problem, since your second comp won't send its CD-key to Sierra.

If it still doesn't work, someone might have stolen your CD-key. Bloody key generators...

sad.gif Well, scorpio... The message "invalid cd-key" might ofcourse be due to the problems with the masterserver. I was convinced that since i got in to ST-server the problems were all solved. -Maybe not. I will try to launch my server back tonite, and log inn with another computer. If this dont work, well, i might spend 10 bucks on another copy of the game. wink.gif (Just so much effort to order it. So many textboxes has to be filled out, visa-card info must be availeble and not in my car....) laugh.gif

Glad atleast we are back in the game....

Oh, i get it!! I will try to join via lan..... That was clever! Hope that works!