Crossroads

Eliteone

Didn't think I'd have to make this post but here goes. We are at a crossroads. SFI and UnityHQ are the last beacon for NOLF2 Multiplayer.

However SFI members are no longer able to foot the bill to provide the last 24/7 NOLF2 gameservers.

There are a couple of options.

1. Do nothing and the server will most likely be shut down soon.

2. Visit the SFI forum and let us know you still play NOLF2

3. Click the Paypal link at the top of this forum and send a contribution towards keeping the servers up and running.

It's up to you the NOLF2 community on this. I know times are tough right now (economy) they are just as tough for those of us who have brought you the NOLF2 server over the years.

Well said Elite. SFI has carried Nolf2 into its golden days. I know there are still some folks plaing this game, and although we don't want to take the servers down, it is simply not financially reasonable to keep these servers up without contributions from the community.

How much does it cost to keep them running? Give us an idea of how much we would need to contribute to keep it up, so we can weight the decision.

Also, do you have stats for usage? It seems like the servers are used less every week now, and this forum gets new posts at the rate of maybe one every two days.

If there is a consistent time that a given server is used, could there be a machine that serves NOLF2 in that window?

To rent the servers from a commercial host would cost $40 per server per month. Obviously SFI has other resources however those resource cost $ every month. the point is very few SFI are playing NOLF2 these days. We have resisted closing the server because we realize that we've been the clan keeping the game going for quite some time now. To answer Kepler we haven't directly asked you to pay the entire bill but rarely has there been any contributions towards the servers from non-SFI members. The member of SFI are coming to the decision that they don't want to be the only ones covering the costs of them.

All it takes is to click the paypal link at the top of this forum and pitch in.

My thoughts exactly. The forum is getting to be a ghost-town.

I would seriously consider supporting the server somewhat, but I honestly don't see that it is worthwhile. I just don't see any traffic for it.

When DO people play still? Does the weekend nighttime group of SFI's still meet?

Aside from Mystical Guru the only ppl that play are Euros. Everyone else is playing L4D, CoD, WoW or GW.

"When DO people play still? Does the weekend nighttime group of SFI's still meet?"

Afternoons, EST, there's still DM players, but not everyday.

Saturday afternoons we still have good DD matches.

"To rent the servers from a commercial host would cost $40 per server per month."

If 8 ppl pay $20 each thats enough for 4 mos. I dont see that many contributing. :huh:

(Played w/Rocky tonight, will post more tomorrow...night.... :closedeyes:)

I still play nolf2, but i dont have paypal.

is there other way pay?

one server would be good. when i look unityhq custom server banner i see there 0.99/ slot private and 1.49/ slot public server.

How about make private server and 8 slot would be enaught for last day for nolf2.

I still play nolf2, but i dont have paypal.

is there other way pay?

one server would be good. when i look unityhq custom server banner i see there 0.99/ slot private and 1.49/ slot public server.

How about make private server and 8 slot would be enaught for last day for nolf2.

That particular host will not host the NOLF2 game. It basically comes down to the members of SFI don't feel they should be the sole people funding the servers since most of them aren't playing NOLF2 as often anymore.

Most likely unless we see some financial support from people still playing in the community the servers may shut down soon.

Hey guys,

this can´t be true! NOLF2 must never die!!!!!!!

I play saturdays when I can. And I would play more often if there were players.

So I just donated 20 USD by PayPal - and I am willing to donate 10 USD each month!

Pleas let´s keep this beautiful game running! :cry2:

Thank You.

Hugo

Aha! I wondered who it was that donated! Anyone else thinking of donating please put your forum name down in the message area so I know who to thank. :)

Thanks, Hugo. :D

Thanks a bunch, Old Salt!

So that you who used PayPal today, kepler? Didn't recognize the email. Thanks so much! You guys are so cool helping out like this.

Love you all! :wub:

DON'T LET NOLF2 DIE!.... YET!

Looks inevitable at this point I guess... I still put in my two cents though ;) ... even though I don't play much anymore... I'm pretty sure this is the game that got me into gaming... *sigh*

Thanks, Guru! :wub:

We all love NOLF2 a great deal. There were some excellent times in the years we've been playing. I've come to know some really nice people who I enjoyed playing with a great deal. I wish we could have found a game that everyone liked as much as NOLF2 and moved into that, but there just isn't anything out there that compares to it.

So here is the situation... SFI currently hosts the NOLF2 servers on a dedicated server box which is getting to be too expensive for the clan to maintain. If the box has to go then NOLF2 will probably go as well because it's near impossible to find any kind of hosting service that supports NOLF2. Hopefully the donations that have come in will make it so we can last a bit longer. Hugo's offer of donating $10 a month goes a long way toward an argument to keep the box because knowing there will be support next month and the month after that is very reassuring. If any of you are in a position to help out monthly, please let me know as soon as possible. If you really want to keep NOLF2 around, this is most likely your last chance to help.

If anyone has ideas on how to keep the servers running or is super rich and wants to provide a server box for NOLF2 then speak up. ;)

I heard SFI had a Council Meeting yesterday. Was the Nolf 2 server issue decided?? I agree SFI is bearing too much of a burden for the current servers. A one game server seems adaquate. Can a config file be changed to change game types from DD to DM or default to custom??

We were supposed to have a council meeting on Friday but instead Eliteone and I and another had a brief impromptu meeting. Not all members were there.

Eliteone put a cancel order on the server box SFI had. We'll be using it for the rest of May and then she'll be switching the NOLF2 servers to another server which is paid for on a month by month basis. I believe it costs $40 per month to keep the NOLF2 servers up. Because of the generous donations sent in we already have enough to pay for June and July.

I don't know the specifics as far as config files and such go, that's all Eliteone's department, but she did assure me the mod would work on it.

Thank you so much all of you who donated and expressed your love of the game! Without you the last time anyone played NOLF2 online would have been at the end of the month. Now we're able to continue gaming as long as the NOLF2 community wants to keep it going instead of it all being at the mercy of one clan. I would also like to thank the SFI members who kept things going for so long without a single complaint. I really should have asked for help from the community in general much sooner.

I'm sure more details will follow at a later date but for now we can all breathe a sigh of relief that NOLF2 is still online for all to play.