Sign in to follow this  
Noah64

The Brady Bunch

Just thought I'd give you guys a little update. I haven't made my own textures or put much time into the furniture yet, but the map is coming along nicely so far.

Anyone who's seen The Brady Bunch should be able to recognize this house.

Here are some pictures:

Screenshot3.jpg

Screenshot4.jpg

Screenshot5.jpg

I'm currently working on the kitchen.

wow looks great!!

Thanks guys.

If you'd ever like to test it out, just send me a private message, or e-mail me at Noah64@comcast.net

Sure I'd like to test it :vinsent:

Now you just need robots of the nine main characters. Ten, if you count Sam the butcher. I would love to see Jan shooting at me with with a Tommy gun.

Sasser, I just e-mailed it to you. I'll be setting up a server for it now, so if anyone else would like to join, let me know.

It would be pretty cool to have the Brady kids as AI running around, but I doubt I could make that happen.

Here is a link to the file: [This link is not available at the moment]

I'd say it's about 15-20% done.

I'll try to keep the server up as long as I can today.

Edited by Noah64

Sorry I couldn't join yesterday I'm busy with school for the next two days ^^

Just explored the map and it looks really cool but seems to have some missing/strange walls ;)

I hope you add the patio, the front steps, the driveway, the basketball hoop, etc. A way out of the upstairs rooms would be good, too (windows?). Dead-ends in general make for uninteresting gameplay. The outdoor parts of the brady world would provide this stuff.

Don't forget the basement-laundry room (I think it is a basement). Remember the soap-suds episode?

Here is a little something which is probably not useful for the map, but who knows?

http://uglyradio.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/brady.jpg

Very nice looking map so far!

I hope you add the patio, the front steps, the driveway, the basketball hoop, etc. A way out of the upstairs rooms would be good, too (windows?). Dead-ends in general make for uninteresting gameplay. The outdoor parts of the brady world would provide this stuff.

Don't forget the basement-laundry room (I think it is a basement). Remember the soap-suds episode?

Here is a little something which is probably not useful for the map, but who knows?

http://uglyradio.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/brady.jpg

Very nice looking map so far!

Thanks for the tips. I think the laundry room is connected to the kitchen (there will be a door where that giant hole is). Alice's room is also through that door. Although a basement has been mentioned in the show, I don't think it's ever seen.

I've been fast-forwarding through the DVDs to try and find some rare angles of each of the rooms. I have about 200 screenshots split into different folders for each area of the house.

Here's the plan:

1. Make a basic layout for each room, ensuring that everything fits in place.

2. Add details to each room and throw in some prefabs to check for sizing.

3. Create windows, sliding glass doors, and the whole outside area.

4. Fix up furniture and textures. (I plan on taking textures straight from the DVDs, including the pictures on their walls.)

5. Fix up lighting and add weapons (and extras such as radios). I'd also like to make it so all the lights can be controlled with switches.

I'll include pictures along the way and post updated versions of the .rez for everyone to test out.

I actually have that soundtrack that you posted a picture of, so I can probably just pull some songs right off of that.

LOL wow that's A+ work Noah! I can tell you put a lot of time into detail and proportion, a very under appreciated effort sometimes! Keep it up, and if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to ask! I'll add you on MSN so hopefully I'll see you soon.

BTW, the area with the stairs look identical to the original to the naked eye, and when I saw the director statue I laughed. :lol:

EDIT: I just tried it out and it's great! I suddenly had a funny idea that I thought I should share. When you finish the map completely, you should line like six random NOLFers and have them stand on the stairway like they did in the show and take a snapshot of that and use it as the load picture! You can do whatever you want, but I thought I'd share with you that random thought of mine.

Edited by Triggerhappy

OMG! That is freaking amazing, Noah! I can't believe what an amazing job you've done getting it to look just like on the show! I don't think I've looked forward to a map this much in ages. No offense to the great mappers out there who already did fantastic maps, but come on, it's the Brady Bunch! I grew up watching that show. If there is anything I can do to help, just ask, Noah. :happy1:

I'm glad all of you are looking forward to my map.

I actually have a couple questions about mapping today.

I've been working on the kitchen cabinets, but it doesn't seem to be working out properly:

Screenshot14.jpg

Do any of you know how to get rid of that line running through the doors? (I've tried cutting the doors and bringing the shelf back already)

And please let me know if you have tips for lighting the inside of cabinets.

Thank you.

Edited by Noah64

I think that line is due to light, but don't quote me on that. If I were you I'd check the brush properties of the cabinet door and play around with the lighting effect by clicking the door and then going to the properties tab, then click LightControl: then you can try different things like clip light, cast shadow mesh, receive light, receive shadows, and receive sunlight.

I know I had a little bit of trouble with that myself and I think a lot of it had to do with how much light was shining on the back side of the door.

If you want some light inside the cabinets, you can use just a simple light node and make it really small so it doesn't blast light through the doors. Again, a lot of it has to do with the light properties of the brushes and NOLF2 seems a little touchy with that stuff. I spent a lot of time working with it and it still doesn't make complete sense.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, in addition to changing the light control options of the brushes, you can also change it from "gouraud" lighting to "lightmap." It gives it a completely different lighting effect.

It's been a long long time since I've opened DEdit, but if I remember correctly you can use blockers and such to prevent the game from drawing what's behind a wall (good for framerates and such). That might help with this as well.

I'm still not completely sure how to get rid of the line. Maybe it will just disappear eventually.

Well anyway, here are some updated shots of the kitchen:

Screenshot18.jpg

Screenshot19.jpg

Excellent work there noah B)

Will the Attic be early episodes, when it was spooky and dusty, or later on, when Greg had his room there, or like from the movie, where Greg and Marsha share it and are tormented by step-sybling-incestual-temptation?

Will the Attic be early episodes, when it was spooky and dusty, or later on, when Greg had his room there, or like from the movie, where Greg and Marsha share it and are tormented by step-sybling-incestual-temptation?

Hey awesome looking map. Tons of detail! The line is sometimes caused by the processor splitting up the polygon there due to it intersecting with another polygon not on one of the corners. You wont see anything in the editor because the game is splitting during the compile process.

Wiky!!! Wow, you're a lucky guy, Noah, to have the Great and Powerful Oz... ummm... 'Wiky' reply to your question. When it comes to mapping, this guy rules. Great to see you, Wiky! :D

I'm hoping for the groovy Greg's room version of the attic.

Wiky!!! Wow, you're a lucky guy, Noah, to have the Great and Powerful Oz... ummm... 'Wiky' reply to your question. When it comes to mapping, this guy rules. Great to see you, Wiky! :D

I'm hoping for the groovy Greg's room version of the attic.

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"! :D

If you want you can email me the section and I'll rebuild it for you and send it back. It will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

When you get sparklies like that, look for a T junction somewhere on that wall.

This polygons on the left illustrates a proper polygon joined together.

mp-fig5.gif

The second group of polygons shows a t junction. The processor will try to to split that top polygon to make it look like the first image.

Edited by Wiky

Thanks for helping, Wiky.

What's your e-mail address?