Sign in to follow this  
rkmugen

NOLF1 (GOTY) Spectator mode broken in Windows 10?

(EDIT):  Sorry, I meant to post this in the tech support section.  Goes to show how long I've been gone (years)!

Hey errybody!  Been a while since I was last on here.  But I'm now on Windows 10 and have gotten the itch to replay NOLF1 and NOLF2.  At this particular moment, I have NOLF1 (GOTY) installed and have made it half-way through the game.  I wanted to try some of the cheats to see if they still worked.  For the most part, they did.  But for some reason, one particular cheat stopped working.  Or.... at least, when I was still on Windows Vista, I don't remember needing anything else (.REZ mod and probably not even a declared command-line in the program's shortcut) to get the cheat to work.

I'm talking about "mpclip" (ie. the 'spectator mode').  Before, when I was on Windows Vista, all I needed to do was press 'T' then type 'noclip' and I could explore all areas of the current map as I desired.  When I was done, I typed 'noclip' again to deactivate that cheat, and then I'd 'land' on the ground and be able to walk/run again like normal.

But now that I'm in Windows 10, I find that I had to download the Spectator.REZ mod (from this site) to enable the spectator mode.  What's worse is that, once it's been enabled, there is NO WAY to disable it unless you quit the game............... which is totally absurd!  Can anyone else determine if spectator mode was working just fine in older versions of Windows.... WITHOUT any external mods?

Also, can anyone else, here, get into spectator mode in NOLF (either regular version or GOTY version) just using the "mpclip" command without mods, while in Windows 10?  Or............ is it just me?

Btw, I am very thankful this forum is still around, even after ALMOST TWO DECADES since this game came out!  (2020 is coming up fast!).

Edited by rkmugen

Windows 10 is definitely not the issue. I have NOLF GOTY and Windows Vista and can confirm that it doesn't work without the spectator mod. It doesn't work in the regular (non-GOTY) game without the spectator mod either. As far as I know and as the spectator mod download page says, that cheat was disabled in retail versions of the game, which is why the spectator mod was made in the first place. You're probably remembering wrong, unless maybe you somehow got your hands on an early/developer version of the game in which that cheat still worked, and the version of the game that you have installed now is different.

However, even with the spectator mod you don't have to quit the game in order to disable it. Just reload a save in which you didn't have the cheat active. So just don't save while it's active (otherwise your controls may not go completely back to normal if you reload that save). If you want to quickly advance to the next level, then just use the mpmaphole cheat.

Edited by CoLdOwN

2 hours ago, CoLdOwN said:

Windows 10 is definitely not the issue. I have NOLF GOTY and Windows Vista and can confirm that it doesn't work without the spectator mod. It doesn't work in the regular (non-GOTY) game without the spectator mod either. As far as I know and as the spectator mod download page says, that cheat was disabled in retail versions of the game, which is why the spectator mod was made in the first place. You're probably remembering wrong, unless maybe you somehow got your hands on an early/developer version of the game in which that cheat still worked, and the version of the game that you have installed now is different.

However, even with the spectator mod you don't have to quit the game in order to disable it. Just reload a save in which you didn't have the cheat active. So just don't save while it's active (otherwise your controls may not go completely back to normal if you reload that save). If you want to quickly advance to the next level, then just use the mpmaphole cheat.

If memory serves, the spectator mod was made for the first version of the game not the GOTY edition. 

16 hours ago, Eliteone said:

If memory serves, the spectator mod was made for the first version of the game not the GOTY edition. 

Yes, but it works the same with the GOTY version. Regardless of the game version the mpclip cheat doesn't work without the spectator mod, and you need to quit the game or load a save in which the mpclip cheat wasn't activated to disable it.

Edited by CoLdOwN