Sign in to follow this  
Cel

Chams

Hi Everyone :)

I just want to find out how Nolfers would feel if you knew people were using chams in our dd servers?

Are they just a form of art?

Do you feel they give an advantage to the person using them?

We are having a very heated debate in our private forums regarding this matter and I feel its time for some outside opinions.

Thank you

:) Cel

Edited by Cel

depends on, u gotta see how it is. some chams is cheat, and some aint, after my opinion...

well, i dunno

Well......weeeeeellll!!!!

And what is a chams? :unsure:

I was wondering that too, Natter. Never heard the term before. :blink:

I don't want to have to learn any new technology, slang, or jargon.

Whatever it is, just ban it and let me grow old and complacent in peace.

:angry:

since ya cant google i can say what chams is, its " colored " or changing texture / skins in poeple in game. like ninjas is all pink, yellow, green or somerthing. :unsure:

np :happy1:

obviously they give the person an advantage.

just like how the default ninja skin is easier to see in japan than an agent in a dark trench coat.

bottom line: duh, it gives the person an advantage. whether or not it's "ethical" is how the person is changing the skin color.

before anyone tries to give an excuse as to how this is "art"...let's cut the crap, you'll be changing the skin to a vibrant color (pink, yellow, etc) so that the contrast between the character and the background is greater.

Oh. I remember that being a big problem in NOLF1 and I hated it when people used the textures like that but in NOLF2 you have to have the server hosting the skin for it to work, don't you?

Oh. I remember that being a big problem in NOLF1 and I hated it when people used the textures like that but in NOLF2 you have to have the server hosting the skin for it to work, don't you?

No. The chams in question give the creator/user only the effects. No one else can see the colours they apply and to where they apply them.

They may choose to just colour the wallpaper or floors but my concern is that some are using these to colour players heads, guns or other parts that make shooting easier.

Well I agree with Blue that they are most commonly being used to give an advantage. Of course we have added chams to our server rules now since we discovered their existence but the problem is some players feel we are stifling their 'creativity'.

:) Cel

I don't usually post here or in any other forums, but Cel brought this topic to my attention and I think I have something to add.

In other FPS games, "CHAMS" are used with only one purpose: aimbots. And to the people who defend the use of "chams", don't tell me that aimbots doesn't exist for NOLF2. They exist for any DirectX based game.

I am not going to go on and on about it.

"Art" is something you create. People who make "chams" are NOT creating anything, but only modifying. So you can't even use this excuse.

That's all.

IMO they dont give a person an advantage

BUT THEIR NINJAS ARE BRIGHT GREEN or something of that nature....yes yes i know but in the end it doesnt matter

trust me on this one...it is all matter on what your eye is use to and how long you have been playing

Oh, so maybe they can make me and my team all be bright white and perhaps more visible? But only on their own machine.

I don't think that would give enough of an advantage to worry about or even be worth the trouble. More fun if they make us all look like Alfred E. Neumann or something.

...did any of you ever play Barney Doom?

just like how the default ninja skin is easier to see in japan than an agent in a dark trench coat.

trust me on this one...it is all matter on what your eye is use to and how long you have been playing

I agree with sly on this one. Unlike Blue says, for me the ninjas are harder to see in the dark than the trenchies (I don't like Japan in general :P)

Then some people prefer a light blue cross-hair, others need a yellow one to feel "comfortable". Some need the motion blurring, others don't a.s.o.

First time i hear that a thing like that is possible :blink: but personally i don't care whether some players use it or not, i like it the natural way :)

I don't usually post here or in any other forums, but Cel brought this topic to my attention and I think I have something to add.

In other FPS games, "CHAMS" are used with only one purpose: aimbots. And to the people who defend the use of "chams", don't tell me that aimbots doesn't exist for NOLF2. They exist for any DirectX based game.

I am not going to go on and on about it.

"Art" is something you create. People who make "chams" are NOT creating anything, but only modifying. So you can't even use this excuse.

That's all.

Unlike PinX I have to agree with ez here. :rolleyes:

The advantage may not be in the contrast colors by it self maybe, but I guess it is possible to edit the skin and putting a layer or brush the desired area you want to associate with the bot to aim is possible.

But however before the "is there an aimbot in nolf2 and does this thing has any future here" discussion to be starte.... I'd like to say few more lines....

No matter if it has been used for aimbots or not, it should be cool if those chams get released officially for downloading so everyone can use them and everything to be fair and square. :)

If you want to create new skins that's cool, if you just want to change the look of the skins on your end, it isn't that cool, but it is your own choice.

I prefer these stuff not to be used, but no matter what the ppl posting here desires, it is again that if anyone want to use a cham he can use it bcs there is no way for now this can be prevented as the anti-cheat isnt checking the skins.

Edited by METAL

333laol.jpg

This a Cham? :whistle:

I think that's just a high ping :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cham_hack

I havent any pictures of chams from Nolf except for the custom skins that SparedLife makes which most of you will be familiar with already.

Here are pictures of chams from other games that I found searching on google.

RO.jpg

fearv3015hw.jpg

These are the type of chams that I was posting about.

Edited by Cel

This is why the game I work for bans all 3rd party software across the board.

From Cel's example I can see that it can make people visible through textures as well, so the question not as relevant, but could you make the characters bigger and easier to see that way as well? That kind of thing would definitely be cheating.

Well Moo :)

Those pictures also show wall hacks being used too.

As far as I know you cant change the size of the object just the actual skin/colour etc.

I guess thats enough though when some have the benefit of those colour changes and others dont. I think thats an advantage.

Intresting, Yea like goo says that screenie shows Wallhack too and with chams only you don't see people in that way.

EZ, Ofc there is a OPPURTUNITY to make aimbots for ANY DirectX game BUT! There arent any of this aimbots for NOLF 2 Out public. There is 1 but thats a crappy thing which aims through walls (no hit) and goes up and down etc. so useless.

I just want to say to get a aimbot you have to programme/code it yourself for NOLF 2, Which is quite a hard job to do. Since there arent any public good out to download (At least as far as I know),

About chams: Id think they give a advantage after all. However it wont be a big diffrence and If you want to play with it, I won't care cause the advantage is too little to forbid it imo.

Edited by =NS= Unknown

I have been asked where to draw a line about modifications in NOLF2 :

IMO its very simple : Just keep the original settings and dont modify a thing --> That keeps the game FAIR for everybody !!

yea, but aint u tired of old boored ninjas^^? i do alot of things 2 get the game fresher like: playing with my name ,trying new crosshairs, changing color at crosshair, try 2 fix some display options so it looks diffrent... :happy1:

yea, but aint u tired of old boored ninjas^^?

then change the default character on your server...

Yea exactly like blue say. Change characters once in a while should be cool :D

However Chams blocked now in the new anti cheat fix V1.33 ;)